Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lshulma2 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Drywall sheets don't fit in my room, how should i cut them
    Hi everyone

I couldn't get 4x8 sheets of plywood into my third floor. I had to cut them (2X8 sheets). Does anyone have a suggestion for how to cut the 4x8 drywall sheets (2X8 or 4x4 or other) to end up with the fewest seams. The ceiling height is just less than 8' if that makes a difference. Is it typical for the hardware store to cut these for me? I calculated that I would need about 22 (4x8) sheets to finish the room that I'm doing.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 9, 2008, 07:49 AM
    If you cut it part way... meaning score the back side of it, then snap it... the paper will hold on the front half. Then you bend it to go around the corner but it won't have a seem when you hang it :)
    Just be careful to support it well because it can rip. I had to do it to get some sheets up to my attic.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 08:43 AM
    I like Static's thinking, it should work but we do not know what kind of turns and stairs need to be negotiated. A 2x8 strip will bend around a corner easier than a 4x4. A sheet cut like Static suggests will still bend but no where as much as a single 2x8 strip.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Do you have any windows on the third floor that are 48" or greater from corner to corner. If you do and the sashes can be removed or the window can be removed, call a drywall supplier. You will certainly have to pay a delivery charge on just 22 sheats but it would probably be worth it. Drywall for upper floors usually goes in through the window.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall For Large Room- Walls and Ceiling [ 10 Answers ]

I have a space that is about 30' x 14' that needs to be drywalled, both walls and ceiling. Does anyone know what the approximate cost for something like that would be? There's currently paneling on the walls and a drop ceiling throughout, which is hung from bare beams on one side of the room and...

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

Interior room-to-room noise reduction [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I just moved into a home in Wheaton, IL. The house is great except for one thing: you can easily hear through the walls. For example, the master bathroom was placed along the main hallway, and you can hear... everything... not what you want when entertaining guests! I've read about...

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

9 foot sheets of drywall [ 5 Answers ]

Do they make drywall in 9 foot lengths for walls with a 9 foot ceiling?

View more questions Search