Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahmed yassin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 05:05 AM
    How to configure more than DHCP pool
    I have a network topology of 6 edge cisco switches 3560 aggregated on cisco switch 3750 and a dhcp separate server feed all the network clients PCs with their IPs.

I want to make a dhcp on one of the edge switch to feed the connected PCs on this switch only and leave the main dhcp server as it is feeding rest of network.

How to be done without conflict between the 2 dhcp servers
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Sep 10, 2008, 08:37 AM
    You can have multiple DHCP servers on the same network as long as they are not handing out the same Scopes (address ranges). They will answer on a first come, first serve basis.

To isolate the servers from each other, you can place them in separate VLAN's. Is this possibly for a VoIP implementation? There are also some custom entries you can make in your Windows based DHCP server that will refer the IP phones on to the DHCP server for the phone system.

You can assign different subnets to each VLAN and then use VLAN routing as well. This way, your DHCP servers will be handing out completely unique data (not just different IP addresses) for the VLAN that they reside in.

For QoS purposes, you would also want to use separate VLAN's for voice and data.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To create DHCP in a router [ 2 Answers ]

How to create DHCP in a router so that I can share internet to my local network

Dhcp error [ 7 Answers ]

Hey'll I have a 1053 Code Error on my Server2003 running both DNS & DHCP,suddenly after a power cut all my workstations configured themselves with APIPA range addresses.. now this LAN has recently been added with another Server2003 Std edition ! ( Technicians claim to have configured it out side...

What is DHCP [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the DHCP?:)

DHCP and more than 1 NIC. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, Here is my problem, I am running Win2k server sp4. I connect using a boot disk which pulls down a DHCP address, which works fine. I want to add more nics to my server, so I can have different people connecting to different nics, so I can get a gig throughput to each of my switches....

DHCP servers [ 2 Answers ]

Why do DHCP servers have static IP addresses

View more questions Search