Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2008, 11:32 PM
    .pst over written
    Hi,

Generally what we used to do in our company is install outlook 2007 and set the default location of the pst file to d: drive . And now the problem is that from the administrator profile I logged in and for that pst also I gave the default location as d: drive and now the file has been overwritten with the user mails . I tried restoring and even tried to recover but still getting the overwritten one . Can anyone tell me is it possible to get the previous mail.:confused:
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 9, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Not unless a backup was created. Otherwise, sorry to say.. its gone.
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticFX
    not unless a backup was created. otherwise, sorry to say.. its gone.
    Not even with the help of any recovery tools :confused:
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 9, 2008, 10:39 AM
    No. Sorry
    Here's how it works.

When windows deletes a file, all it does is "mark" the item deleted. Its still there but just ignored by windows. So, you could run a program to recover it.

When a file is overwritten, there is no copy made, it writes right over it. Think of it this way.

Take a piece of paper. Write a word on it in pencil. Now erase the word and write another word over the same spot. Previous word is GONE. Now.. if you were to just draw a line through it and write the new word below it... you could still get the first word back. Get it?

So, sorry. no. is the D drive local to the PC or is it a shared drive? If it's a shared drive then check with your IT dept quick to see how often they do backups.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Written communication3 [ 2 Answers ]

Choose the word below that's highly connotative. A. man B.house C.tree D.mother-in-law

Written communication [ 3 Answers ]

Choose the word below that's highly connotative: A-man, B-house, C-tree, D-mother-in-law

Open vs written [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know for a fact and where to find it is a credit card debt in Georgia an open end debt with a 4 year sol or is it a written debit with a 6 year sol. It's like looking for hens teeth.

Can you see a statement that is written against you? [ 2 Answers ]

Does my son have the right to read the statement written that got him charged with a crime?Can anyone just call clerk of courts and find out info about someone's charges?

View more questions Search