Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JeanneStep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Mortgage company wants to hold home owners insurance payment in escow.
    I had a tree damage the roof or my home and cause over $37K in damages. My mortgage company want to hold the payment in escow and issue me the money after I supply receipts. I am current on my payments. Is this legal?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 08:07 PM
    I don't know about "legal", but it is fairly normal. They have a huge interest in the property and they see it as their right to make certain that the repairs are actually made - thus protecting their investment. I know it seems ludacris to you that you'd do something else with the money and not make the necessary repairs, but there are tons of people out there who have done just that.

Actually, the more I think about it, I'm sure it's legal, because you name the mortgage company on your insurance policy as the LOSS PAYEE. That means in the even of a LOSS the check gets made out to them and you. Not just you.

I'm sure if you read your mortgage and your insurance policy it's all laid out. Have you talked to your insurance agent about it?

I know it seems incredibly controlling, but other than that, what's the problem? Is your contractor wanting partial payment up front or something? The mortgage company should be used to that kind of stuff and have some provisions for it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage company saying we didn't make payment [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I live in California, lets start by saying we were with option one mortgage, as of July 1 they sold to American home mortgage. We refinance our mortgage in November of 2007, we had 3 months with no payments, we were to start our payments in February of 2008. In February of 2008, I made a...

Home Owners insurance [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out who my neighbors home owners insurance company is? How can I found out if a home owners has home owners insurance? Is it legal to do so?

Mortgage company not accepting payment [ 1 Answers ]

My mortgage company just sent back this months payment and I have found out that they still haven't deposited last months. I have been in backruptcy for 2 years and have made all payments on time and for the full amount. What can I do? The only respond I got from them was that they were taking me...

Home owners insurance [ 2 Answers ]

This really happened & I am baffled by the result. A tree in my yard falls & hits one of my cars. The car only has liability insurance coverage on it. The car was a total loss. My first reaction was that the home owners policy will take care of that. Not.. Evidently it only covers acts of...

Mortgage company refuses payment [ 8 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. I live in NJ. I took out a home equity of about 1/5 of my house value. Unforturnately I went with what I now believe was a predetory loan company. They convinced us to go with them and promised a low rate. I even got it in writing. Than right before we were to close they...

View more questions Search