Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissTeri Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2006, 09:31 PM
    Help! Am I obsessed?
    I woke up today full of anxiety and just a general feeling of fear and I think its because I have a feeling that my boyfriend is cheating on me because he's been acting differently lately.
    He's not as interested in sex as he used to be and he doesn't seem to want to talk to me or be with me as much as he used to.
    We only see each other on weekends because I go to school in the city. He usually wants to see as much of me as he can but he seemed very anxious to drop me off back at school as soon as possible last night. Then today he didn't call or anything, when he usually calls throughout the day. I called him around 8 and had to do it 3 times before he called back ( I know, sounds obsessive, but the first time it was busy and sometimes his phone doesn't get the signal). He reminded me that it's Monday so he's out with the guys (sounds more like any day ending in Y) at a bar and can't talk, but reassurred me with an 'I love you'. I don't know about that. I asked if I should call him later but he said he would try to call unless he got really drunk and just got a ride home and passed out. We have a great relationship but this sounds really strange. He can't even find a few minutes in his day to talk to me? If he knew he wasn't going to be able to talk to me in the evening, why didn't he just call me earlier in the day like I've asked him to do? Is it too much to expect to talk to your boyfrined every day (for just a few minutes at least)?
    I'm very stressed out right now because its finals week and all I can think about is this. I have papers to write and studying to do but I'm obsessed!
    We have a great relationship in general. Over the weekend he struggled to tell me that he has found the woman he can spend the rest of his life with, that can make him happy, but that he's also scared he's growing up too fast (he just turned 21 a few months ago). It's not like I pressure him for marriage or anything like that, or that he is a man slut and wants to spread his seed, but he says its scary to think that he's with the person he could spend the rest of his life with.
    So... he used to send me cute messages and call me more and he used to be a total nympho but now everythign is fewer and lesser.
    I'm having a wreck of a day and can't even talk to him.
    Should I be worried or just give him some space? More importantly, if the latter, how do I do that when I can't stop thinking about him and us?
    I think I must be obsessed.
    Help!!
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 8, 2006, 09:36 PM
    Sometimes you need to let them go and see if they comeback
    Don't worry if it was meant to be
    He will return to you when it is time
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 8, 2006, 10:03 PM
    He just turned 21 which means he is new to the bar scene and wants to play. Sounds to me like he wants to have his cake and eat it too. You need to find things to preoccupy your time and let him do what he is going to do. But don't stand by and wait for him to sew his oats. Make it clear that you want to continue this relationship but if he has " better things" to do that you won't sit by and wait for him. Make yourself less available to him and as hard as it may be stop calling him all the time.. make him wonder what YOU are doing..
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 05:48 AM
    Hi,
    The answer before mine is very good. He is young, and if he likes "bar scenes", getting drunk, passing out, then you really need to find a boyfriend who is "in the real world".
    Maybe this will pass with him, maybe not. I wouldn't call him, or even try to get in touch with him. Let him make the next move, if there is one.
    Life is not always fair, especially when it comes to love. Start meeting new men, SMILE, and talk with them. It will help, believe it or not. This guy wants some time by himself, and is not yet ready for a serious relationship. He will probably to the same thing to his next girlfriend.
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

May 9, 2006, 06:19 AM
    I don't have really much to add to the former very good posts, but this.
    1st: you're NOT obsessive, but you begin to behave in a clingy manner - nobody likes that: boys or girls. I know that's because you feel insecure about this relationship, but it might just drive him away, and if you 2 DO go on, it might place you in a very unfavorable spot in this relationship.
    2nd:you have a lot of work to do, don't waste your future on no one. Concentrate where you efforts will bring you some fruits for YOURSELF. How can you do it? Try turning off your phone - so that you won't look at it every other min. and wonder why hasn't he called. Make a "deal" with yourself to turn it on and check it only after you finish a certain amount of work.
    Doing your work will keep your mind busy.
    3rd: yes , I repeat what's been said: be LESS available, and go out with other friends.
    Good luck,
    Millie
    :)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 9, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Repeat this as often as necessary. . "I am powerless over ________ (fill in the person's name)". Begin to make choices based on what the world at large has to offer.. . Not what is possible (or not) from any one specific person. It is one of many rites of passage on the way to emotional maturity and not exactly the stuff taught in schools. Obsession is not ended by thinking less of him but thinking about other things instead. And so I say to you now, Miss Teri, in a kind and gentle voice, you have a decision to make about what to think about next, don't you?
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 07:17 AM
    How long have u 2 been together?
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 07:55 AM
    That old gut instinct in women is usually right - sadly. I'd pull back and work on other things - you've gotten greart advice here so far.

May 9, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Thanks for all the helpful advice so far, its been really useful in trying to put the situation into perspective.
    We started dating about a month before school started this past summer so we've been together for the past ten months.
    I definitely don't want to be that clingly girlfriend so all that's been said about me finding other things to do, hanging out with other people, and just being generally less available has made a lot of sense.
    He never called me last night but I went out with some friends for an hour or two and that helped disitract me from thinking about him. He did send me a nice text early this morning.
    I don't think I have any substantial reasons to think that he is cheating on me but he does seem to be pulling away. Even through school I've been pretty available to him all the time so I think he may have forgotten what it feels like to be on the other end of things. A good reminder of that could be exactly what we need, although I also do not want it to seem like a sudden change on my part for both of us to just start drifting away from each other.
    However, it is true if I let him go a little he will come back on his own if we are to have an equal and trusting relationship.
    Right now I have finals to concentrate on, then an extra week at school of intensive training to get me ready for a position I'm filling next year, so it shouldn't be too hard to concentrate on myself and my own future for the next couple of weeks. After that we'll see what has happened. I just need to make sure I can keep that in the front of my mind.
    FIND OTHER STUFF TO DO AND LET HIM CALL YOU!!
    Thanks everyone

May 9, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Fred - thanks for your advice! Although I hope that he will not need to go through a bunch of other girlfriends to get serious about a relationship. This is the longest and most serious relationship I've ever had. We've met each others parents and spend some holidays with the other's family and we even went to Florida together for sprink break (we live up north). I understand that he's young and I'm even younger... maybe we just me a couple years too early.
    Sorrow - what an eye opening statement! Lately I have been seeing the world and its opportunities as they are offered though just one person and that is definitely not the enitre picture. This summer I will be back home and I would love to get a job so I can make some money before coming back to school. My mom has offered to pay me for watching my six year old brother while she is at work but I think I may be too old for that and need a real job. My boyfriend has tried to convince me that watching my brother would be the best for everyone because my parents would rather leave him with me than a stranger and then I would have evenings and weekends free to hang out with him. He specifically talks about how we have to go out to the boat in Wisconsin for a couple weekends this summer. All of these sounded like good reasons but for some reason I just wanted a job outside of my house. Sure I will have to find transportation and pay taxes and probably have less time for the boyfriend but maybe it would be healthy if I did.
    Thanks again to everyone!
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 09:00 AM
    "However, it is true if I let him go a little he will come back on his own if we are to have an equal and trusting relationship." Key and very important.

Sometimes you need to pull back and let the other person catch up.

You always keep your interest level a little below theirs. Its key - it's very hard and I sometimes fail to do this.
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 09:01 AM
    Give him Space.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 9, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Your to young and been together only 10 months to start acting like a suspicious female. A long distance relationship is hard enough to maintain even for older couples and a 21 year old guy ,lets face it he may not be cheating and may love you but he ain't going to sit on his hands and bite his nails waiting for the weekend. Actually you two are just getting to know each other so relax and make sure you take care of the business in front of you and give him a little breathing room ,if he misses you he'll call if not at least you had time for your school work!:cool: :)
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Hi,
    You have great advic so far. You need to give him space. I just went through a similar thing with my girlfriend. Her life was changing and our relationship changed. She needed space. Believe me the last thing you should do is chase him. It only drives them away and gets it to a point where it is beyond repair. Concentrate on other things it is so hard I know but you'll send yourself insane looking for answers that may just not be there. He is young. He may need to test his wings, as it has been put to me.
    If you give him space it could be the trigger to make him start to wonder where you are and what your doing. I hope it all works out for you. It is tough but you need to be strong and just concentrate on yourself. As wildcat always says and it has been proven true time and again. People want what they can't have. Don't let him have you for a while. My girlfriend did that to me when I wasn't sure about our relationship a few years ago and it scared me to death and I realised how much I actually loved her. It is tough to do but it is your best weapon at this stage.
    Good luck!

May 10, 2006, 06:40 PM
    OK I have taken all of this advice so far but I'm not sure how far to go with it.

After my Monday night three-calls fiasco he texted me in the morning. Then he called around noon but after just a few minutes of lame conversation he said he had to go. So that night, yesterday, I didn't call him at all. Today he sent me a good morning text really early and then another one a little later that asked when I was moving out of my dorm. I responded to both. Nothing since then. I'm not sure if now I should just call him tonight or if I should still keep silent. He has gotten in touch with me, but hasn't really called me for a satisfactory conversation. I'm afraid of going too far if I still don't call him because it's not like we had an argument or anything like that, I don't want to be passive aggressive. But I'm also afraid that if I call he either won't answer or won't have time to talk to me AGAIN, putting me back in my original position. I definitely understand acting just a little less interested then the other person and was a master at it in the beginning of our relationship but at this point I just hate playing these types of games, yet I feel like he is forcing me into it. Still, I don't want to seem like I don't care at all. I guess the best thing would be to still not call, keep giving him room, and get back to studying. I haven't really been able to truly stop thinking about everything all the time even though I have been trying, but at least I've been making it seem like it to him, hopefully. It's always in the evening, when I'm used to talking to him, that I always get the urge to call him... which is right now.
    I talked to my roommate about it today and she said she thought it was weird that I got dropped off so early on Sunday and she thought that maybe we had fought. She said I shouldn't have answered his texts this morning and waited for him to actually call. But then later she said maybe I just shouldn't listen to her and call him and just act like everything is normal.
    I'm not going to call him tonight but I'm pretty sure that he won't either. So then what will happen tomorrow? What if we just go through the rest of the week without talking to each other...
    Although I don't think I should call him tonight I'm not sure that it's the right thing to do so I'm afraid that I'll cave in, especiall as it starts getting later and later and I don't hear from him... should I just turn off my phone? But then if he does call I won't ever know he did.

Am I doing the right thing here?
    pattyfroman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Miss Teri - it seems to me that you need to go up to your boyfriend and say (in these exact words) "yo, dude, cut the act, stop banging her and come back to me." I said that to my boyfriend 10 years ago and now we are happily married with 4 kids. Granted he goes to a strip club weekly and has an alcoholism problem, but I've got the guy I want and he is afraid of me so listens to my every word-life's great!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 10, 2006, 08:15 PM
    A lot of this relationship seems to go on in your head where it isn't doing anyone any good! May I suggest you and your B/F take the time to talk face to face honestly. How can you expect to have a decent relationship without communicating. Either you love each other or not. Deal with each other or what's the point?:cool: :eek:

May 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
    You're right talaniman.
    Unfortunately, I just feel like I have no idea what I'd doing.
    He called (yay) a little bit ago and we finally got to talk substantially but I'm not sure if we even got anywhere, although I do feel better that he noticed I haven't called lately.
    I said I've just been busy with school but I also mentioned how I thought it was weird that he dropped me off so unusually early on Sunday and that it seemed like he doesn't want to spend as much time with me.
    So there, it's like I'm trying to do two opposite things at once.
    He said he would be worried if he were in my shoes. (wha? )
    Whatever everything seemed OK but then he asks about what is going on Friday, if he has to help me move out or anything. I said no because my dad is coming to get me but I did think we were hanging out later that night. He says he forgot he made plans earlier with two friends. One gets to go out and "really party" that night because he doesn't have to work (they go out every other night of the week anyway) and the other one is just finishing up a week of finals so he wants to go out (hello!! What about me finishing up my week of finals?? ) So he says, basically I either have pissed off friends or a pissed off girlfriend... here comes the guilt trip. I didn't really tell him what to do either way because its his decision but I think I'm just going to call up some friends and find something fun to do.
    I just don't even want to write about all this stuff anymore. I'm REALLY going to think about other things for a while.
    Thanks everyone for all the advice, I will take it with me but I think the first thing I have to do is stop coming here and neurotically checking this thread because I think it feeds my obsession.
    I'm really grateful for all of your interest and would like to let you know what's going on after there's some time for improvement (hopefully), so please look out for a message from me in a few weeks.
    Thanks!
    -MissTeri
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2006, 10:43 AM
    I would MOVE ON. He is NOW playing imature head games with you. Let this guy go. Let him go party. It's really a form of abuse.

ALSO WHY DO YOU KEEP BRING THIS UP WITH HIM?? You're just making it 10 times worse... he doesn't want to hear it anymore and you're pushing him away. He doesn't call because you keep bringing it up.

Dating and relationships are supposed to be fun... I don't think he is having any fun and he may even want to force you to break.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2006, 08:10 PM
    He is definitely playing games with you. Move on and stop calling him all the time. It is so hard to do but it might just save your relationship if you want it that bad. 1 or 2 days isn't not calling him. You have to try and be strong and not call at all.
    It seems as though talking about it isn't helping so you might as well not talk at all.
    You have the right idea about going out with your friends. Have fun. Enjoy yourself. Talk to others. It seems as though that is what he is doing... and maybe more.
    Don't mean to be cruel but I know what your going through and I know mistakes I made. It only makes it worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

OBSESSED he was with someone during breakup [ 7 Answers ]

Last summer after me and my boyfriend broke up during a big stupid drunken fight. We were broken up for 3 weeks and even though I had plenty of opportunities to date others, I never did because I pretty much figured we would get back together and I felt like it would be cheating even though we were...

Help... Obsessed and Depressed [ 1 Answers ]

Last year I had this teacher that I have thought about everyday since I met her. No I'm not gay and I'm not attracted to her in a sexual way, but don't know why I can't stop thinking about her. I started dreaming about her and now its nothing new. She moved away about 9 months ago and I still...

Help, I'm obsessed! [ 2 Answers ]

If ANYONE can help me, PLEASE do so! I had braces for seven years. It's been three years since I had them taken off, and it has totally reshaped my mouth. Now, I have very crooked lips. My corners just don't line up anymore. So, for the past three years, needless to say, I have had to "reshape" my...

View more questions Search