Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    presser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Excluding roots from sewer pipe
    Assuming there was no clean-out fixture, the plumber chiseled a hole in the cast-iron sewer pipe to clear a clog. The patch he installed seeps water and roots clogged the pipe so that he had to come back and use a rooter to clear it. Is there a method for isolating the pipe from the soil so that roots will not invade the pipe again? The barrier should extend from grade to a depth of around 2 to 2 1/2 feet and have a cover that would allow a riding mower to run over it. Prayerful thanks if someone can provide a fix. Plumber visitations are very expensive.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Presser... what kind of pipe do you have there underground?

Let me know...

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Your plumber should have installed a Clean Out instead of chiseling a hole in your pipe.

However, now, he has to cut the pipe all the way through and insert No-hub coupling ( or Flex Seal coupling ) and connect the two pieces together with this fitting. Or even better - have him to install new clean-out once the pipe is exposed again.

You certainly don't want to have any roots in your sewer. Once there, they grow rapidly and are very hard to remove.

Leaking patch on your sewer pipe means your plumber didn't do great job on resealing the pipe after he chiseled a hole in it.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Presser.. I agree 100% with Milo....

Fact is that a cleanout needs to be installed and it needs to be brought to grade using proper fittings. How far out from the foundation did the plumber chisel into the pipe?

Let us know...

MARK
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Roots need a small crack to get started inside so you had a breach before the plumber even started, he just made things worse. You say the pipe is cast so he should have ccut all the way through the pipe 18" out from the foundation and installed a clean out like Milo says. I don't have pics of the proper hub but Mark and Milo both do. The hubs are neopreme with an aluminum collar for support and burst strengthening.
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Presser: this is what the coupling looks like. It is going to be a bit tricky to get it in - but experienced plumber should know how to insert it over the pipe.
    Attached Images

presser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 11:02 PM
    [QUOTE=massplumber2008]Presser... what kind of pipe do you have there underground?

Let me know..
    Sewer pipe is 4" cast iron. I don't know why there isn't already a cleanout on the line. The house is about 40 years old and several families have lived in it. I have lived here almost 10 years. The opening was made at least 18" from the foundation. The coupling in Milo's note looks like it would hold water and do the job. Only problem is finding someone who could install it. If I knew of a plumber who could get a pipe to hold water I wouldn't be writing this. The plumber who just cleared the roots told me that the roots will be back so I know the patch still leaks.
    The fix I was hoping for would be something like the way water meters are protected. A steel cover extends down into the ground with a U-shape cutout for the pipe and a cast iron cover over it. That way, soil would not touch the pipe and no roots would get in. Also, since I wouldn't be going into the pipe, a licenced plumber would not be needed.
    Many thanks for the information. I may have to take a chance on the coupling.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 03:41 AM
    Hi Presser...

Actually, in rereading your initial post I can see CLEARLY that you told us it was a cast iron pipe... my mistake!!

Fact is that almost anything you install in this case will fail as roots have a tendency to find any moisture especially moisture with waste product in it and if there is a crack present... even the smallest of cracks... a root will find its way in there... grow ridiculously large and reclog the pipe. You would not believe what I have seen roots do or how far I have seen them travel to get to a pipe joint, enter through the joint.. A GOOD JOINT and then begin to grow out of control.

With that being said, everyone here will tell you that whatever we create... it probably won't keep roots out for very long. About the only thing I can think of that will last is a permanent patch over the hole using a liquid epoxy to install a patch over hole... but no extension coming off the pipe as it will shift back and forth over time and root (being present in area already) will invade quickly once again!

NOW, here is what I think... I think you should install a cleanout using the clamps posted by Milo by yourself! Easier than you might think if you have basic tools such as a shovel and a sawzall. We talk alot of people through this stuff... in fact we have a 21 YO kid that just dug up part of his basement and installed all the pipes under a concrete slab for a bathroom.. click on this attachment to review his thread/posts if you like:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ml#post1233593

Scroll down to post #19 and post#25 at this link to get idea of how it works visually.. then read a little more of how it goes.

Come back after you review this and let us know if you care to try to install a cleanout yourself. We are glad to help here.

Otherwise... I think any solution you come up with will only be temporary... and I should know because I have seen maybe 30-35 cases where people tried to close off or patch pipes incorrectly underground and roots invaded every time!

Let us know what you think...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2008, 05:53 AM
    If you wish to control the roots RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Hope this helps Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Unless you cover that hole properly, roots will get in. Period. Access Box will certainly look "pretty" on top of your sewer pipe - but roots will still enter.

Now, if you really (really) don't want to call plumber than do this: get 4" Flex Seal coupling. Cut it in half. Put one half over the hole in your pipe. Make sure entire hole is covered. Take 4 s.s. bands, open them all the way, slip them around the pipe and tight them well with 9/16" wrench. Than put that sprinkler valve box over it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Now, if you really (really) don't want to call plumber than do this: get 4" Flex Seal coupling. Cut it in half. Put one half over the hole in your pipe. Make sure entire hole is covered. Take 4 s.s. bands, open them all the way, slip them around the pipe and tight them well with 9/16" wrench. Than put that sprinkler valve box over it.
    Best to follow Marks advice,(He can walk you through theinstallation) cut in a clean out and do the job right. Don't forget to flush some fine grain copper sulfate down to eat up any roots left.
    Good luck, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Tom, Clean Out would be my choice #1, too...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell related to tree roots? [ 5 Answers ]

HI , I have a sewer smell coming out of my basement floor drain and just noticed today that it is coming out of my the vent for my downstairs bathroom. About 4 years ago we had to have the main line cleared because it was completely clogged with tree roots. Could the line be clogging again? Or...

Roots around toilet pipe. [ 2 Answers ]

I have an interesting problem and questioin how to resolve it! We have roots growing around the toilet pipe--not in the pipe. How do we remove the root, and control the growth? How do we know if the root isn't growing under the slab of the house? The bathroom where the situation had taken...

Tapping in new drain pipe to old sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a new tub and shower in my basement. The old shower in the basement drained through a pvc pipe that ran on top of the basement floor directly to our floor drain. I have excavated a channel from the proposed tub site to the sewer pipe running from the first floor toilet to the...

Storm Sewer Tree Roots [ 3 Answers ]

I have tree roots that accumulate in a cleanout trap just before the storm drain leaves the house. The hair like ends of these roots appear in the clean out. Occasionally, there is also some sand that deposits there. The combination blocks the discharge, which has caused a back up into the...

Basement sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house is about 95 yrs. Old in northeastern Pennsylvania, my sewer pipe is large and black, can you tell me what material it's made of? I can't tell if its cast iron, or cement, etc. Where there are connections, at the joints, it seems to be rusting. Can I patch or paint this? Thanks, m.h....

View more questions Search