Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frankyie Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Drop-eared elbow
    How far behind the finished wall should I install the drop-eared elbow for the shower head? See the picture
    Any problems if is 1.5" behind ?

Thanks
    Attached Images

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 03:24 AM
    Mount your support centered, or a hair back from centered, like this:
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 9, 2006, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frankyie
    How far behind the finished wall should I install the drop-eared elbow for the shower head? see the picture
    Any problems if is 1.5" behind ?

Thanks
    Hey Frankie,

Ricks answer, "Mount your support centered, or a hair back from centered."
    Was a little confusing to me, although his picture shows the correct placement of the backing board. He was entirely correct to focus on the backing board instead of the drop-eared ell because it's how far back from the stud wall the backing board is placed that will determine where the drop-eared will mount. Let me see if I can clear it up a bit. Since you don't want the body of the drop- eared ell or the threads of the gooseneck, (the chrome shower arm) to stick out from the tile figure 3/4" for the drywall and tile wall plus another inch for the ells body and the threads of the gooseneck so 1 1/2" sounds about right to position the front of the backing board back from the front of the stud wall. The drop eared-ell will be centered directly above, on the backing board, where the shower raiser connects to the shower valve body.
    As a rule the long end of the chrome shower arm is the end that, after first taping the threads with teflon tape, will screw into the drop-eared ell.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair leaking PVC elbow in a wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I have discovered a leaking PVC elbow between an upstairs tub and the drain to the downstairs. It is in a very difficult to get to area. Since I can't get to it to cut it out and glue another will a silicone sealant possibly stop the leak? Or is there some other kind of sealant that might work...

9-8 drop? [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know if there is something called a 9 8 drop in plumbing .it has something to do with the drainage system in kitchens and bathrooms.

180 degree copper elbow? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone makes a 180 degree copper elbow. I want to run a length of 1/2 inch copper pipe back next to itself (if that makes since.) Using two 90 degree elbows keeps the two pipes too far apart. I want them to run next to each other. I thought of using soft copper pipe but didn't...

Fixing an elbow on a pipe against an outside wall? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a leak on an outside pipe coming from the 90 degree elbow bend (I think). I have wrapped it in that hardening tape, but it still leaks (much less now). I would like to fix the leak completely, but here are my problems. The pipe is right up against a wall, so getting around it is pretty...

Drop down [ 2 Answers ]

I know I have done this before, And I can't remember how I did it. I would like to eliminate the search history, from the search field when I start to type something it gives a drop down of previous searches. I do not want it to do this- how can I change it?

View more questions Search