Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Looony2nz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Calcium needs / new pool HELP !
    Our pool (IG gunite, 10,500 gallons, Diamondbrite finish) is new and running for about a week and a half. Water chemistry is good after startup and we brought our water to be tested, all is well but calcium hardess is 150. Pool store said we will be needing calcium soon, but not to do it before we know about the warranty on the plaster? One month, two months.. etc.
    Pool company says something about not worrying about the calcium?? We know the level needs to be a bit higher... how long can I wait? How much needs to be added and how to properly add.

Thanks...
    Shari in FL.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 02:51 AM
    Calcium weakens plaster. Did you wait the recommended curing time before filling the pool?

Definitely get a firm answer on the warrantee from the installer - hopefully in writing. Is the installer a "full service" pool company? If so, tell them you know that calcium weakens pool plaster and have them explain the correct balance for you...

After clarifying this, go back to who tested the water and get their take on it all.

The recommended range of calcium hardness is 150-1000, so for a plaster pool, you'll be wanting to keep it at the low end of this.
    Looony2nz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2006, 03:14 AM
    There was no waiting before filling... pool was plastered and filled immediately as I have heard so many people talk about. Didn't know that was NOT the way. (?? ) I will be questioning the PB again about the calcium. SO, it is at the low end which is good then. But my question was when and how to add when necessary.
    By the way, pool builder seems to be a full service co. I am going to prob. Call the guy that did our start up and pool school. He was fairly helpful.

Thanks again.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 03:35 AM
    I don't think you will learn bad news in all of it; just what it takes to keep it in good shape.

And as for the level, continue monitoring. You may find that it maintains at the minimum level and that you won't even need to add it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calcium in hot water [ 12 Answers ]

About a month ago we noticed our faucets were getting clogged up with calcium only for the hot water. So we flushed out the water heater and it did not help. The water heater was old and the water was not very hot so we finally replaced the water heater and everything was fine for about a week but...

Calcium and cells [ 1 Answers ]

What is the meaning of dependent and anti-dependent CA+ (CALCIUM) and can you explain me please how do the cells attach to the flask?

Calcium supplements [ 1 Answers ]

Lately, I've heard a Calcium commercial that states a Calcium supplement must contain phospherus in order for the Calcuim to be beneficial to one's body. According to my MD and, everything else I've ever read regarding this topic, only Vitamin D need be present for proper asorption. I would like...

Calcium chunks in filters (Washer, shower) [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have been having issues with calcium chunks in my filters (especially in my kitchen sink, washer, and main shower). It seems to be only happening in the hot water side. My washer only had chunks in the hot water side and nothing in the cold water side. My parents are saying that I...

View more questions Search