Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tawnya031957 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Pool Water Level
    I have an in ground pool, 18x36, 23,000 gals, 22 years old, 3rd vinyl liner. Overnight, with the pool pump off I'm losing 2 to 3 inches of water, but it stops about 2 inches above the bottom of the skimmer, which remains full of water. I dug a 5 foot hole around the skimmer (which was replaced with new same model skimmer with new pipe and fittings 8 months ago). No leakage there. I dropped ink around the skimmer and the only set of steps at the seams, no suckage there. No holes or cuts at the water line all the way around the pool. Again, ink drops every 12 inches all the way around did not show any suckage. No leaking around the exterior pipes connected to the filter or around the filter. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks, Tawnya
    Jimmyfixitall Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Sep 8, 2008, 04:32 PM
    I have worked on 2 inground pools and both had plugs at the bottom that are supposed to be open when the pool is empty to let ground water in to prevent the pool from "floating". ( sounds crazy but it happens ) does your pool have them and if so, are they closed? This could be the problem. Perhaps one came loose by accident

Sep 9, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Thanks for the info, but this pool doesn't have ground plugs. Plugs aren't used a lot in vinyl pools here in South Carolina. Thank you, Tawnya
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Sep 9, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Tawnya,
    Usually a leak on an in-ground pool is around the light. Check it with some of your dye. Best way is to get in the pool on a real calm day, without the pump running. After you get over to the light, let the water settle from your moving around. You want to have as little motion in the water as possible. Now squirt the ink and see if it gets sucked in. I usually just use PH test drops for this, but if the ink works then it may be even better.

You can test at any place there is fittings on the pool. IE skimmer, return jets, bottom drain intake etc.

Next, test at the bottom of the skimmer down inside under the basket. Make sure you top off the pool to where you know it leaks before you do all of this.
    Al

Sep 9, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Thanks Al, I just finished doing everything you suggested, no leaks around the pool light, under the skimmer basket, or around the skimmer's gasket. We put a stopper in the hole under the skimmer basket this morning, left the pump off, and we lost an inch of water in 1 hour. Frustrating. Thanks for the help. Tawnya

Sep 9, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Nothing at the bottom of the skimmer, under the basket? No cracks. What about the walls of the skimmer. One time I had one that would leak down like yours. It turns out that the water level needed to come up on the concrete in the skimmer. But, the concrete wasn't sealed. I used some fiberglass epoxy resin and painted the entire inside of that skimmer and concrete. No more problem.

Sep 9, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnya031957
    I have an in ground pool, 18x36, 23,000 gals, 22 years old, 3rd vinyl liner. Overnight, with the pool pump off I'm losing 2 to 3 inches of water, but it stops about 2 inches above the bottom of the skimmer, which remains full of water. I dug a 5 foot hole around the skimmer (which was replaced with new same model skimmer with new pipe and fittings 8 months ago). No leakage there. I dropped ink around the skimmer and the only set of steps at the seams, no suckage there. No holes or cuts at the water line all the way around the pool. Again, ink drops every 12 inches all the way around did not show any suckage. No leaking around the exterior pipes connected to the filter or around the filter. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks, Tawnya
    Thank you Al. I don't feel this applies because the filter is totally exposed (I dug a 5 foot hole all around it, there is no dampness, dripping, leaking, or puddling in or around, or outside of the filter. No cracks. The opening of the skimmer into the pool where the frame connects the 2 gaskets (also replaced with the new skimmer) is fine, no leaking and the screws are all tight. Thank you again, Tawnya

Sep 9, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Hmmm... the liner, or the pipes underground are all that remain.

To test the pipe under ground, you can get some test plugs. You will put the test plugs into the return jets, and the skimmer bottom. Then, you can put some pipe saddles on the pipe at the pump so that you can pressurize the lines with a garden hose. Now, pressurize with the hose, and let it run for awhile. Then, you can try and identify a wet spot where water may be surfacing. You can also isolate each line if you have a valve on each line.

Here is a pic of a test plug Name:  red-test-plug.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  6.4 KB
    Al

Sep 14, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Thanks for all the brainstorming, it helped a lot! The leak came from a hole behind the pool light. Took the light globe off. Pulled the light with wire bundle out. Left 2 holes, 1 for the wire bundle (width of a quarter) and 1 for the grounding wire (width of a pencil) Ink was sucked in at the grounding wire hole. I plugged both holes with Pool Putty (hardens underwater). We don't use the light, otherwise we would have had to dig to the back of the light and make the repairs. Again, Thanks, Tawnya

Sep 14, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Thanks for the update. Glad you resolved the issue! Good to know that my first hunch was right. It is usually the light that is the culprit!
    Take care.
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to level ground for a pool? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to level the ground in preparation for putting up a rectangular pool?

Pool not level [ 2 Answers ]

From a poster named Gidson sent to my e-mail address. I just purchased a 14'X42" metal frame pool and we tried to level the pool as best we could in our small back yard. After the pool was filled most of the water went to one side. We are about 1/4 water less that does not cover the pump holes...

How to level a pool [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18' above ground pool. The type with the single blow up circle on top. I'm having trouble getting it level. These pools can be somewhat dangerous if they collapse. Can you please help? I'm getting so much advice from neighbors and all that I don't know what to do. Thank you

New pool Different water level [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased an above ground 28 ft pool and had it installed last year. This year the water level on one side is 6-7 inches shallower than the other. If you were standing near the intake for the filter and the water was up to your chest the level directly across would be around the belly...

Inground pool, automatic water level? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, As a new owner of a house with a pool, I have lots of question to ask, 1. I just filled the pool with well water, the water is kind of green. What is reason and what is cure? I added two container (4 gallons?) of 11% chlorine already. 2. Is there automatic water level indicator? I...

View more questions Search