Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Sep 7, 2008, 10:59 PM
    Freightliner Columbia
    We have 2004 Freighliner and it has a complete overhead overhaul back in Nov.07.For the last 4 months we have a problem with it revving up while running and hestitating taking fuel.It has been in the shop several times twice to Freightliner and several more to TA and other big truck shops.They have replaced the fuel pump,TP sensor,wiring harness,AI sensor,ran diagnostics 4 times and several others sensors.When its running with the cruise on its fine until you have to hit the brake then SE light comes on RPM's rev on its own and starts hestitating takiing fuel.He has to pull off the road and turn it off and on several times till it starts ideling normal.We have been out $2000.00 in less than 2 weeks and it still isn't fixed.Does anyone with diesel experience know what else could be causing this.His jake brake also stops working when this happens,please help if you can ,we are out of money and patience,and in debt up to our eyeballs.It has a 60 series Detroit engine.
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 7, 2008, 11:14 PM
    There may be a vacuum leak on the suction side of the injector pump... any air leak on the suction side of the fuel system causes problems similar to what you describe... do not over-torque fittings... good luck...

Sep 7, 2008, 11:48 PM
    Do you know how expensive this repair is?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 8, 2008, 01:33 AM
    It could be a "do-it-yourselfer"... depending on skill-set. When a "top-end" overhaul is done rapidly, things surface later. Fittings loosen, lines get pinched or crack, filters come loose and so on. In the hectic pace of todays' competitive shops, things are often overlooked or covered up... There is need to check-up on everything, all the time... I can't quote a cost, I'm not in the business any more... my area of expertise is large diesel power plants like Cat 3516s, 2.5MW, 15Kv... Best of luck, these are good people here, someone will help...

Sep 8, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Thank you for your info... The overhaul was'nt done rapidly though they had the truck for 2 weeks and that was nearly a year ago.I'm really aggreviated that no one at Freightliner seems to be able to fix this problem,nor any other diesel mechanic for that matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Columbia you . Aftermath [ 14 Answers ]

The one positive that came out of the Mahdi Hatter's appearance at Columbia was the way President Lee Bollinger handled the Q&A session. But the NY Sun is reporting that the faculty and students are not happy with the harsh tone and grilling that Bollinger gave to the Iranian President . ...

Ahmadinejad at Columbia [ 31 Answers ]

Iran's own High Priest of Lunacy, Mahmoud Ahmadgenocide is going to be appearing at Columbia University today. There has been much discussion on the question of whether Columbia should or should not offer this forum to I'msomadinside or whether they should have told I'mamadjihad to f@*& off. ...

Columbia mascot [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in 7th grade and want to go to Columbia. Does anynone know what their mascot is? It's driving me crazy.

View more questions Search