Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Sep 7, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Scary stuff.
    Okay so am I the only one that thinks the world should have a say in turning this think on on Wednesday. Didn't Nostradamus predict the end of the world with a black hole or something?? Anyone else scared of what this is capable of?

Large Hadron Collider nearly ready - The Big Picture - Boston.com
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 10:35 PM
    I've actually read a decent amount of articles about this place... overall, it sounds really awesome. What can I say, I'm a nerd?

Sep 7, 2008, 10:38 PM
    That's okay... I think we all have a little nerd in us. Lol. But that doesn't mean that it won't completely annihilate the planet.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 10:44 PM
    Well, with the research done on it, they claim that the chance of it forming a black hole is almost nil.

... granted... almost nil... is... um... not nothing.

Sep 7, 2008, 10:48 PM
    you well some birth control promises that... lol. There are too many variables for my piece of mind... explain some of this to me or even post some links about it so that I might better understand.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 8, 2008, 01:02 AM
    Hehehe the End Of The World is Neigh...
    Or not: Hadron boffins: Our meddling will not destroy universe | The Register
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Well someone certainly isn't too happy about it happening;

Legal bid to stop CERN atom smasher from 'destroying the world' - Telegraph
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 12:51 PM
    YouTube - "Its The End Of The World As We Know It" by REM-Music Video
    Lol
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 01:00 PM
    I don't remember the US or other countries asking permission before they detonated atomic bombs. This isn't that different - only more contained.

Here's something to help you understand it more:

:)

Sep 8, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Despite the awesome geek-rap... I still don't understand! Ha ha!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 02:01 PM
    I find smart girls sexy - I'm weird that way. :D

Sep 8, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Oooh, there's nothing wrong with that! I think Kirstie Allsopp and Carol Vorderman are pretty damn hot! I'm sure if they explained it to me I'd understand!

But that's a WHOLE different thread! Ha ha!

Sep 9, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Here's a good article about the end of the world which talks about the HLC;
    BBC NEWS | Magazine | Why the fascination with the end of the world?

To be honest, I think they're -footing around a bit, doing all these tests... if it were me, I'd just turn it all on and hope for the best! He he he!

This is my fave comment on the article (right at the bottom);
    It's my 18th birthday on Wednesday. I hope this is codswallop as it would be a pretty rubbish birthday.
    Laura Walker, King's Lynn
    Bless!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IheartEdward
    There is a rumour that its going to be the end of the world tomorrow because they're recreating a minature 'big bang' and theres a 2% change it can turn into a black hole?
    Hello I:

Yup, but your odds are wrong. It's about 1 in 35 TRILLION. You have a better shot at winning the lottery.

excon
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello I:

Yup, but your odds are wrong. It's about 1 in 35 TRILLION. You have a better shot at winning the lottery.

excon
    Is it too late to get a ticket? :D

Whatever happens, happens. I guess we'll find out on Wednesday. That would suck, my birthday is September 14. :(
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 9, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IheartEdward
    There is a rumour that its going to be the end of the world tomorrow because they're recreating a minature 'big bang' and theres a 2% change it can turn into a black hole?
    If the odds of this happening where really that HIGH do you think they would have ever been allowed to build the thing??

Sep 9, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello I:

excon
    Imagine winning the lottery on the day the world ends! Now THAT would be bad luck! :D
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 9, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Quote Originally Posted by IheartEdward[/quote
    There is a rumour that its going to be the end of the world tomorrow because they're recreating a miniature 'big bang' and there's a 2% change it can turn into a black hole?f the odds of this happening where really that HIGH do you think they would have ever been allowed to build the thing??
    If the odds of this happening where really that HIGH do you think they would have ever been allowed to build the thing?!
    I do not doubt that there were extensive discussions between many very smart people about that. But even when they all are all "sure" for 99.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999. 999 % (or even more), that STILL leaves a very very small chance that today will be the last day we can post here on AMHD, and that everything on and in earth will no longer exist after tomorrow, other than in the matter and energy of a rather small black hole.
    Just total destruction of earth, caused by a bunch of too curious scientists and politicians who took one step too far in nuclear research.

These scientists and politicians surely will have done their homework, but nobody can ever be sure that their calculations are correct. All this type of possibly fatal research should at least be carried out on the moon or elsewhere, but NOT on earth. And if we can not do it there, than may be we just should not do that research at all.

And why was the world's population never openly asked for their opinion in this ?
    Everyone and everything on earth is involved. Where is their decision and influence?

The real question here is of course : is there a limit to scientific research in view of the POSSIBLE consequences of that research for all on earth?
    That question goes from gene/DNA research to nuclear research to the insane research on biological weapons and on diseases like pocks, plaque, ebola, etc.

Is there a limit, what would that limit be, and how do you control that ?

:rolleyes:
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 04:58 PM
    I'm not worried. Based on my understanding of everything, nothing bad will happen, but we stand to learn a hell of a lot and it opens up a whole new world to science.

Of course, given that it might screw with the fabric of time, it's possible it won't fire up at all. Theoretical physics and the grandfather paradox and all...

See you guys tomorrow. And the day after that. And the day after that...
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Snap, only good can come of this (yea I know there's a chance the world will be destroyed)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suggestions for scary movies;'proper' scary [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I've been looking for a really scary movie - really scary, the kind that you can't sleep for days(or maybe just one day.. ) after watching. I haven't really watched many but I've realized that most of which I watch are more.. well, funny than scary. So, I'd really like suggestions for...

Scary sex [ 5 Answers ]

When me and my husband are having sex I start to bleed. We have sex on a regular basis and he is not rough and I'm starting to worry. What should I do?

Scary Movies [ 9 Answers ]

so its Halloween time and my friends and i are trying to find some scary movies to watch, but we can't seem to find any. Does anyone know of some really scary movies?? haha please help:p :o :) :D

Old scary movie [ 1 Answers ]

Hardly any scary movies actually scare me but this one did. It was in not in color, whether that was intentional or whether it was so old, I'm not sure: It starts with this lovely young couple buying an old house for real cheap. He travels a lot so she's left alone a lot in this house. At first,...

Scary fall :( [ 31 Answers ]

Ugh I slipped and fell down about 4 stairs last night, didn't really hurt myself badly, but I went into early labour! (I am just at 7 months right now) So, Alex rushed me to the hospital and they were able to stop the labour. I am apparently fine, although I am supposed to take it easy now, and...

View more questions Search