Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shawn240 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2006, 08:43 AM
    NEED HELP --Lease agreement
    On April 18 I filled out an application for an apartment for June 1 and gave a $649 deposit to be held for last month rent. The next day they called and let me know I got the apartment. Since then I got back together with my girlfrend and moved back with her. I contacted the apartment company on May 3 and told them I don't need the apartment and said they can rent it out. (They have no problem renting this place out since I live in Kitchener Ontario and economy is good here).
    The landlord said it is up to the porperty company if they are going to keep the deposit. The property management company called me back and said they are going to keep the deposit and may also charge me for June's rent if they don't rent it out.
    Since I haven't even moved in and only signed a Offer to Lease can they do this? Also is there any other options to get out of this? I already offered them $200 for their time.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2006, 08:48 AM
    Depends on what the Offer to Lease said. Your deposit payment may have bound you to moving in just as much as it bound them to provide an apartment for you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 8, 2006, 10:53 AM
    I don't see this specifically addressed in your Tenant Protection Act, however here in Ohio it is legal to keep the deposit if and only if the giver signs a form indicating that it will be retained if the person does not complete the deal. It can be as a separate form or in the Lease itself.

If you signed nothing, then I'd think you may have a good small claims case against them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2006, 11:44 AM
    I can not speak for your area, but yes, if you promise to rent, give a depoisit,
    (and deposit here is normally just that deposit, and then there may be an addiational last month rent, but here depoisit is not last month rent although many try to make it that.

But here if you agree to rent, you are obligated till they find another renter.
    For sure the first month rent, and more if the new renter does not move in at the first of the next month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who keeps the orignal signed lease agreement [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a landlord(Lessor) of a rental property. The tenant/Lessee had asked for the original signed signature page of the lease agreement. Should I give them the orignal signed signature page or give them a photocopy of the signed signature page? Thanks in advanced.

Rental Lease Agreement [ 7 Answers ]

My roommate and I recently rented an apartment. We are already having some problems with the lessor. Upon signing the lease agreement, the leasing consultant was in a big hurry to get us through all the paperwork. She did not verbally go over all the items in the lease agreement. We were very...

Prenuptual Agreement [ 8 Answers ]

I have been working hard and saving money since high school and I expect to inherit some money in the fairly distant future. How can I ensure that I don't lose half of my assets if I get married and she turns out to be a goldigger who divorces me in a year or two. I have heard that prenuptual...

No written lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

No lease between landlord and myself. Landlord refuses to make repairs. I have not paid rent. Have only been in house for 2months Landlord send a typed letter stating he wants me out in 6days. Is that legal in Indiana?

Lease agreement [ 1 Answers ]

I just Received a notice from my landlord that he going to up the Rent in June, Ive been living here since the late 80's. Twards the end of the notice, he writes, "New Month to Month Lease Required". And I'm not sure what's meant by that and this guy is kind of a slickster... Can anyone Help?...

View more questions Search