Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Does doggy odor bother you?
    Just wondering if there are many people like me. I love dogs, but the doggy odor makes me gag and a wet dog, even just washed can make me blow chunks.

I told my husband that I would rather smell decompostition, a dead, rotting animal, than a dog. He replied that the rotting smell would make him sick. Most people have noses like him. Is there anyone else like me?

I live with a Basenji and a Greyhound. Neither of these two breeds has that odor but most dogs do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    Just wondering if there are many people like me. I love dogs, but the doggy odor makes me gag and a wet dog, even just washed can make me blow chunks.

I told my husband that I would rather smell decompostition, a dead, rotting animal, than a dog. He replied that the rotting smell would make him sick. Most people have noses like him. Is there anyone else like me?

I live with a Basenji and a Greyhound. Neither of these two breeds has that odor but most dogs do.

Hmm - I'm the opposite. Each of my dogs has a very different smell about her. Can't even call it an odor. I swear if you blindfold me, I could pick my dogs out.

And I love that puppy breath thing!
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Yes, puppy or even old dog breath is fine. What stinks to me, is the smell on their skin.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    Yes, puppy or even old dog breath is fine. What stinks to me, is the smell on their skin.

My dogs smell sort of powdery - although I will admit now that I just leaned over, part their hair and smelled them, they appear a little bit jumpy.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 05:28 AM
    If your dog smells of rotting flesh I would contact your vet. Perhaps a change of diet is needed or an underlying medical condition
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 8, 2008, 09:55 AM
    MY dog is a very clean dog and I find he always smells like corn chips.
    ConfusedInAK Posts: 184, Reputation: 16

Sep 8, 2008, 09:58 AM
    LOL... sorry was reading some of the responses...

The smell of dog is not pleasant to me either... like the smell of sulfur does the same thing to me that the smell of dog (wet or dry)does... catches the back of my throat...

But I think it is all in the way you shampoo and groom your dog... Some of my friends who regularly bathe their dogs... have animals that don't have that "wet dog" smell...

It's just like people in my opinion... if they don't get bathed regularly they start to smell dirty... oily... stinky ;)
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123
    MY dog is a very clean dog and I find he always smells like corn chips.

Loved this one - corn chips - ?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Sep 8, 2008, 10:21 AM
    I too love the smell of my dogs. I have a crazy thing about my little shih tzu's breath. Love it. Especially in the morning when he yawns in my face, it has a good smell to it, not at all funky. On the other hand I have a big lab, chow chow mix and she is rank. Her breath day or night after brushing or not is just straight up wrong and foul. She's 12 yrs old though so she has had some wear and tear going on.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 8, 2008, 10:48 AM
    I love the smell of corn chips, therefore I love the smell of my dog! Now his breath is a different story.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 11:02 AM
    I'll agree. They all have different odors. When they smell bad, they need a bath and a good grooming.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 8, 2008, 12:51 PM
    They actually sell dog cologne and shampoos that control odor. My dog once got skunked and that kept coming back every time she got wet in the rain for a long time. Try better ventilation in the home, I can't smell anything that way.
    To tease my dog, I will lean over when she's sleeping and sniff loudly in her ear, then blow the breath out my mouth phew... she immediately wakes up and laughs and jumps all over me like I just said the funniest thing she's ever heard. I have no idea what I did say but she thinks it's hilarious.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 07:10 PM
    You guys are great, thanks. None of you feels sick to your stomach? Like I said, even if a dog is bathed regularly and that very day, it smells like a foetid swamp. Mouldering decomposing wet vegetation full of worms and bugs. Uuuhgggg!

My dogs don't smell like a rotting corpse. I have a frequently bathed Pug who smells like a dog. When he comes near me, I have to leave the room or puke. A rotten corpse just stinks, it isn't nauseating.

Dogs smell individual, like people I'd bet. Certain types of parrots smell like corn chips. Caiques do when they're dry. It's wonderful but when wet they smell doggy. Blue & Gold Macaws have an awesome smell, a combination seeds, warm corn tortillas and fresh cut grass.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 9, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Herbs sweet woodruff or sweet vernal grass or Queen Annes lace or leaves of goldenrod added to pet's bedding can deodorize or give you that new mown grass smell

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should GFs Past Bother Me? [ 20 Answers ]

1st I probably should watch what I ask for, because in this case I got it. My last GF wasn't a strong, confident woman... she wasn't sexually experienced either, which may have caused this (I was her 2nd and she was 25 at the time)... great girl, great values, family, etc, just very body...

Doggy refuses to eat doggy food. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a west highland terrier which has been with me for 9 months and recently I just brought him to a doggy's restaurant. Apparently, he has not been the same ever since he came back after the treat and didn't want to touch his dry food anymore. It is actually a far cry from what he was when he...

Should I bother [ 3 Answers ]

I've been talking to this girl for a few months now. We have really clicked. Around the time we started talking, she told me she really likes me and I told her I felt the same. She does have a boyfriend, she has known him for years I believe. Anyway long story short, we have not actually went out...

View more questions Search