Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pinkyback Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Pendants that change coloured coconut juice to pink!
    Hey, I'm pinkyback and here's my question.
    In italy on the beech there's this thing that you pick a pendant from the table there then a man pours coconut juice over your hand if the coconut juice goes pink that pendeants meant for you!!
    How does this work
    HELP ME!! :confused: :confused: :confused: :D :D :eek:
    Pinkyback Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 11:29 AM
    I think it may be logic don't know soz someone help her
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Are you sure it's coconut water and not some other chemical?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 08:07 AM

A quick Google of this topic reveals that coconut water turns pink under some circumstances (very young, gone bad, etc), but it can be changed back to clear with an acid such as lime juice. I'm guessing people who have washed their hands recently but not rinsed well have alkaline/basic hands and that turns the coconut water pink. Just a guess though.

Spotlight: New sports drink - coconut water
    "When the inventors noticed some discoloration in the water of one coconut variety - albeit an "attractive pink" - they added lime juice to retain its original transparency."

Also if you are holding the pendant in the juice, the pendant itself may be contributing the chemical reaction.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Asking,
    Thought you will find the following article interesting- it is about coconut husk though being used as a textile dye.

http://www.dost.gov.ph/index.php?opt...665&Itemid=117

Also,we use coconut,coconut water/milk(taken from scraped coconut) as a regular part of our daily meals.
    I have found that when coconuts turns sour(young or old),the insides of it turns pink & mushy.

I haven't come across a pink colored coconut ,unless it has turned a bit sour due to long term storage.

asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks, Firmbeliever.
    Interesting! I have no first hand experience with coconuts. But you learn something every day here. :)
    anthonyh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 07:40 PM

It's a chemical reaction between an acid and a base that makes elements/chemicals change colored, it probably wasn't coconut milk, sorry...
    ERASMUS don ped Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
    Chemically, when air mixes with certain chemicals it leads to reactions, I think the coconut turns pink because in the young coconut , the liquid contains certain enzymes that when mixed with AIR TURN COLORED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help Coloured Hair Spray Disaster! Turned Pink [ 3 Answers ]

I sprayed my son's long blond hair with coloured red hair spray and no matter how many times I wash it it is still pink all around the front of his hair, he looks like he has a pink halo! DOES anyone know how I can fix this?? Will it wash out eventually?? Has it happened to anyone else?? Help HELP...

How to fade semi -coloured hair? [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I recently just dyed my hair a tobacco brown colour to my already coloured brown hair. It turned out TOO dark and I absolutely hate it! I don't want to strip the colour out as I already have colour underneath that I like, I was just trying a different look. I've tried head and shoulders,...

Attenuation of light through coloured liquids. [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to research the attenuation of light through colored liquids, in particular Ribena. I used a colorimeter with varying Ribena concentrations and a steady pH value to gain some absorbency values. I am struggling to find a relationship between absorbency and attenuation. I would like to...

Plants under coloured lights [ 1 Answers ]

Hey We're doing this experiment in school on the effects of plants when they are covered in different coloured cellophane (clear, red blue and green). And I'd like to know why the plants don't grow well under blue and red lights.. is it because plants absorb the red and blue wavelengths, and since...

View more questions Search