Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Credit Cards for Losers
    Is there any one Credit card company that tends to approve people who have a bit of debt and no credit history?

I'm a responsible person. I own my car, I have two full time jobs, and rent my own apartment. I unfortunately owe a couple hundred bucks in debt. And have past ((Paid off)) on my credit history. And have absolutely no credit history. Never had a credit card, no loans, no anything. SAD!

Please feel free to offer more advice!!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 7, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Yes there are, but for starters ask your own bank as they tend to look more favourably to their own customers.
    Vision Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Yes there are, but for starters ask your own bank as they tend to look more favourably to their own customers.
    I've already applied and been denied due to unfavorable credit history.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
    In my opinion trying to get a crudit card in your current position is a recipe for disaster.
    Bear in mind any company that is likely to accept you will charge a HUGE rate 30%+ and more likely over 50% APR.
    Vision Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 10:17 AM
    I don't care, I'm not buying a car on it. I'll buy lunch with it, and start building some credit.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Oct 5, 2008, 03:57 PM

Have you tried joining a credit union as opposed, or in addition to, a traditional bank? I have found that a CU is a tad bit more forgiving on this area and with the smaller CU's the decision might be made by an actual person there on site. Just sayin'
    Vision Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 05:16 PM

I've banked with a credit union for the past 5 years. They've already denied me a loan three times.

Oct 5, 2008, 07:20 PM

It is a viscous circle I know. You mentioned that you do own your vehicle, have you tried to get a small personal loan using your car as collateral?
    Back in 98/99 I was a few thousand dollars in debt (this was before the student loans kicked in lol). I took out a debt consolidation loan using my truck as collateral. After a few months of making payments I applied for a credit card and they approved it.
    Vision Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 07:22 PM

All I have is my car. I'm not getting car loan. If I default and lose my car, I lose my jobs, my apartment and then I have nothing. It's too risky.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 07:28 PM

I suggest you do what most people with no credit do...

Start with a target/gap/old navy card... build your credit that way.

You may also check with CITI, as they're known to give out credit cards like candy to college students.
    Vision Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 07:35 PM

I've tried those... I've been denied for over 10 retail credit cards, and the last one I applied for they said the biggest reason was because I had so many inquiries and "that says something".
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 07:37 PM

So you've tried citi as well then?

Problem Credit - Credit Cards for People with Bad or No Credit - Credit.com

Oct 5, 2008, 07:38 PM

I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a new Caddy, any loan you could take out on the vehicle you own wouldn't exceed the current value of the vehicle. In my case, for example, it was in the $8,000 ballpark. That spread out over 5 years was pretty doable.
    Vision Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    I have actually.
    Vision Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a new Caddy, any loan you could take out on the vehicle you own wouldn't exceed the current value of the vehicle. In my case, for example, it was in the $8,000 ballpark. That spread out over 5 years was pretty doable.
    I can't afford a $2,000 car. That's my point. I don't need a new car, I need credit.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 07:44 PM

You may want to also look into secured credit cards. This requires you to pay a low annual fee (around $30 - 40), and then place a deposit with the lender, which amounts to your credit limit. I know you're in a financially tough spot, but it may not be a bad idea to start building credit. Usually, after about a year, you're able to apply for a regular credit card.

Someone mentioned credit unions, which is a good place to start looking for secured credit cards.

... or you could find a good friend who'll let you piggyback off their cred card.
    Vision Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 07:47 PM

LMAO... with the stability of my jobs in the past, none of my friends would do that.

I will talk to the credit union folks about a secured credit card the next time I go in there.

Thanks ISF
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 07:49 PM

I'd let you piggyback off mine ;)
    Vision Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 07:50 PM

Sure you would...
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 07:51 PM

Hey now, don't dare me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knowing which credit bureau is being checked when you apply for credit/Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Which credit cards use only the trans union credit report for their cc applications? this knowledge may help me save part of my universe>:D

To many credit cards [ 1 Answers ]

Can a person ever have to many credit cards and if you can have as many as you want does it hurt your credit

Credit Cards [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, I am wondering, I purchased two website's over the internet by a business out of Tempe, Arizona, two Days later they called convicing me to buy advertising for these websites. Well, I did and it cost me $6,500.00 for this advertising program later to figure out they are scammers. I...

Credit cards [ 2 Answers ]

My Russian neighbors asked me a question about credit cards. They have five credit cards. 4 cards are in the husband’s name only. And one is in the wife’s name only. If the husband dies. Is the wife Responsible for the husband’s credit card debt.

View more questions Search