ManniRenee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 04:08 PM
    Dream meaning
    I had this dream last night and I was wondering what it meant:

I was in my pool and I dove in and was just like floating at the bottom
    And I was breathing through my nose but no water was coming in
    But it felt like I was drowning and I was trying to swim up to the top but
    I couldn't move I was just like doing flips and I was breathing underwater
    But there was nothing coming in, no air no water, and I couldn't swim to the surface I was just like floating at the bottom, flipping, and felt like I was drowning. Yet I was content.

Any thoughts?
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

Sep 6, 2008, 08:30 PM
    I'm no psychologist, so this is just an opinion. Could it possibly be that you
    Are in a job or a personal relationship that you feel is going nowhere, or in which
    You feel you are not moving ahead (advancement/marriage), as quickly as some
    Others you know think or may have suggested you should?

You said that you felt content just floating at the bottom, yet you felt like you
    Were drowning. Could it be that you are drowning by concerning yourself
    With the pressures or opinions of someone other than yourself? This is just
    A thought. Many of us in modern society put more emphasis on what others
    Think of or expect of us than we do on our own sense of fulfillment. It's probably best
    Not to spend a lifetime groping toward someone else's dreams/wishes.

This is, of course, just one of many other possibilities. :confused:
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Sep 13, 2008, 10:04 AM
    When I'm doing a lot of swimming in the waking world, I sometimes have dreams about swimming under water. Then I realize I'm breathing (because, of course, my body is breathing as I lie there dreaming), and I have to keep telling myself not to pay attention to that or I'll keep reminding myself it's a dream. And while lucid dreams are useful, it's sometimes a shame to break the fourth wall, the "mimesis" of the dream.

Sometimes I have dreams about driving my car to the beach, and having waves come up and start to wash it out to sea. Those are usually associated with times in my waking life when I'm stressed out and don't feel in control. Couchcarrot may well be right that the symbolism of this dream is that you are "in over your head," but let me give you a few positive spins you can put on this dream:

Air is an element, the environmental element that you are used to. In this dream you found yourself in a new element, water. You couldn't relate to it in the ways you would in your old familiar surroundings, you couldn't get out of it, and you were "drowning" in it, dying to the old environment. And yet you were content. You mainly felt you were drowning because you knew you should be. Actually, you were OK, adapting to this new circumstance. Are you going through a major change in your life? Or are you about to? If so, this dream could be a reassurance: It will all be OK, just stick with it and learn to live in a new way.

Think back hard: Was there ever a time when you were submerged in water, never breathing, and yet perfectly content? Actually, there was: When you were in the womb. This dream actually has some powerful archetypal stuff to it: Death (drowning), but new life ready to be born, too. Why do you think baptisms involve water? Sometimes even being submerged under water? It's all about being born to a new you.

In depth psychology, water is usually a symbol for the unconscious mind. Getting in touch with the unconscious is how you discover your talents, your creativity, your imagination.

Sit with this for a while and let yourself focus not on the drowning, but on the feeling of contentment. Sometimes dreams are just a tad lucid, just enough to let us feel in the back of our minds that no matter what happens, we can't get hurt, we can't be killed. In the shamanic perspective, "Everything is a dream, and all dreams are real." So there is a lot of value in carrying that feeling of contentment into your waking world, so you know that no matter what is happening, there is a core of self deep inside that will always be OK, that will always survive and thrive.

Blessings,

Alder

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dream meaning [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, my friend had a dream about me. She said that I have fish body with my head on it. Not like a mermaid nothing like that, just a fish. One day she was at the mall and she saw me walking around at the mall with fish body. Then the next, she was at home and thougth its time to feed the fish and...

The meaning of a dream [ 1 Answers ]

I wasn't sure what topic to put this under , but hopefully someone will answer. I am inquiring for my friend, he had a dream about me: he came and picked me up he had a male friend in the car that he knows but doesn't usually hang out with him. When I cam out to get in the car he said my hair was...

Dream meaning [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, the past few days, I have had the same dream. I start on a beach with my boyfriend, and we rent a boat and paddle out into the lake, when we get to the center of the lake, he pushes me off the boat, and holds me under water, that is when I wake up coughing and choking. Now, my boyfriend is in...

View more questions Search