Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Sep 6, 2008, 03:18 PM
    1885 newspapers
    So we are doing demolition in our new home and while breaking the cealings we find a whole bunch of newspaers dating to the 1880"s from the town the house is in and from newyork... we also found a whole bunch of old glass bottles and sum tore up books and more pieces of paper... Is stuff like that worth anything??
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 06:17 PM
    I can tell you that the old glass bottles are probably worth something to bottle collectors. You would have to have your items appraised by a licensed appraiser though to get a good idea of what they are worth. It depends on the condition of the old newspapers also if they would be worth money. Whatever you do - DON'T throw this stuff out as it could be worth a LOT of money to someone!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2008, 01:14 AM
    Yes, I agree that this stuff is worth something to certain people. But, what they are worth monetarily would greatly depend on what someone would be willing to pay for them. I remember finding old newspapers under the flooring in a old apartment house that my parents owned.

Sep 9, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Where can I find an appraiser... I just don't want someone to look at me like I was crazy in case they weren't worth anuthing
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 04:14 PM
    If you live near a bigger city, look in the yellow pages under antique appraisers. Or take some of the items to an antique store near you. As for the old bottles, there are antique bottle clubs in most states. Look on the net for an antique bottle club. They will be most happy to help you price the bottles and just might purchase them from you if the price is right. I used to go to an antique bottle club in Ohio and oddly enough a lot of old bottles are worth good money. It just depends on what type of old bottles you have and what condition they are in.

Sep 9, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Well they are really dirty but in good shape... some have labels but are a little torn... does any one know any good way to clean the bottles before I try to see if they are even worth anything... I just don't know what the bottle are some say what they are but others are just old glass bottles

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to store old books and newspapers [ 5 Answers ]

I have a bunch of old newspapers, maps and books ranging from the early 1800's (a couple of late 1700's) up to the 1940's. They're in varying degrees of condition. I'm not interested in how much they're worth, but I do want to know the best way to keep them. I 've put them between plastic acid...

Oil Painting, 1885, HURD [ 21 Answers ]

I would like to know how to get two antique oil paintings evaluated. These are inherited and are in MINT condition. They are signed and dated, 1885, artist name is HURD. I am willing to send as many photos as necessary for evaluation. I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so travel is not...

1885 singer sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1885 singer sewing machine I would like to know what it is worth today and if you buy collectables

Old newspapers [ 4 Answers ]

I have some old newspapers from the 1930's and 40's which contain historical value about what was happening during that time in history. I don't want to touch them or move them around too much as they may fall apart. Any suggestions as to how to preserve these papers?

Articles at Newspapers [ 4 Answers ]

I believe and think that I can write some good articles about various things shaping our world and lives... I'm not a journalist but I always feel that I have writing skills in me... I just want to know that which newspapers or magazines help new writers to publish their thoughts.. I really want...

View more questions Search