Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Polite or rude to accept large tips
    In a professional business setting where tips are not normally given,
    Do you accept large tips when a client hands it to you?

Is it polite to take the money and rude to decline it?

Or is it polite to decline it and rude to take it?

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 11:30 AM
    What is the professsion, and how large is the tip,

Giving a extra 100 to a really good real estate agent, not normal but not out of line for really excellent service for example

Or giving your preacher a extra 20 after church some sundays. *** hint hint congregation
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Sep 6, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    do you accept large tips when a client hands it to you?

Is it polite to take the money and rude to decline it?

or is it polite to decline it and rude to take it?

Thanks
    It is rude to decline any type of 'gift'
    Or a tip
    They wouldn't give you a big tip if you didn't deserve it
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Its fine unless you are violating company policy in which case it could be the costliest tip you ever receive.
    Depends on the circumstances and whether something is expected in the future.
    Things may be going rosy today and there is a company dispute involving the tipper tomorrow and he says I even gave your guy a $ 100 tip and this is how you treat me?
    Bad business in most cases.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 6, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    do you accept large tips when a client hands it to you?
    There are legal issues to take into account as well, namely all of the SOX regulations.
    Now admittedly if the tip were a relatively small sum, say couple 100 tops I wouldn't think twice about it, but you must ensure this isn't seen as a "sweetener" for future business or anything else underhand.

If it is truly a token of gratitude then accept with thanks.
    Mom of 2 Posts: 449, Reputation: 90

Sep 6, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Most of the posts indicated for you to be careful and to make sure that you are not committing work place suicide. If there is nothing within your workplace guidelines about accepting tips/gifts, then accept it with a thank you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Again, this answer depends on the profession. If the person is in a Union, this person cannot accept tips. It is against union rules and regulations.

As a nurse, it is frowned upon if I take a tip, although I have been offered one, I politely declined it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Thanks everyone.
    No legal worries, no sweeteners, no future bribes, the tip was for a painting I did for someone.
    It made me feel uncomfortable accepting more money than we had agreed on because it was a substantial amount.
    I brought it to his attention and he said it was to show his appreciation.
    After he said that, on a split second decision, I felt it might be unprofessional
    To decline it considering I could have gotten caught up with him insisting on
    Me taking it or either offending him... but I don't know, maybe I should have said I couldn't accept it.
    I'm trying to get my foot back into this area of the working world and have
    Never been faced with an issue like this before.
    Business mostly comes from word of mouth so I don't want to make any wrong moves.
    I did what I would have wanted done to me, but I know not everyone feels the same way I do.:)
    Mom of 2 Posts: 449, Reputation: 90

Sep 6, 2008, 07:55 PM
    It is apparent that you did a fantastic job and he wanted to pay you accordingly. Maybe it is because he knew that you were just starting and he wanted to help you. The fact that he paid more for the painting than what was originally negotiated is an excellent sign. As long as you said thank you, you should be okay. Also, when ever you are in the sales or service industry, you should always ask for future business. If you don't ask for it, you will not receive it. You can say something like, "If you ever need another painting, please do not hesitate to contact me," or "if you happen to know anyone else who may be in the market for something like this, I would appreciate it if you could refer them to me. I would be more than happy to try and accomodate then as well." Put it in your own words, but always ask for the business. Good luck to you. AND congratulations on a job well done.
    paradoxlie Posts: 33, Reputation: 6

Sep 6, 2008, 08:00 PM
    You stated 'Not Normaly Given'... therefore, it is not unusual to receive a tip. Large or small, ACCEPT the tip... or you will have to explain why you are declining it... what would you say? See?
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 03:55 PM
    I'm an artist, and I own an artisan design studio. I can appreciate your sentiments.

I definitely would not worry about it for a second. He is obviously interested in supporting you because he believes in your talent. He may also have thought that your work exceeded his expectations, and that the proper value was higher than your estimate. I know many professional painters, and every single one of them puts more work into their commissions than required. You absolutely did the right thing by pointing out that the sum was larger than the asking price. Just out of curiosity, how much more than the original price (in percentage terms is fine) did he give you?

I'm sure you can use the money for your paintings. Enjoy it, and be proud of yourself for doing such a great job. Every now and then we have clients who offer more money than we ask for a piece, and because I know that our prices are very reasonable in proportion to the value of the pieces, I am shy but happy to take it. I know that we give extras to our clients all the time, so I figure that this is just my work coming full circle. Tipping for artists is not a practice regularly associated with the trade (unlike waiting tables, bell hops, etc.), so the only reason it would have been offered is because your client felt he wanted you to have it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand
    i'm an artist, and i own an artisan design studio. i can appreciate your sentiments.

i definitely would not worry about it for a second. he is obviously interested in supporting you because he believes in your talent. he may also have thought that your work exceeded his expectations, and that the proper value was higher than your estimate. i know many professional painters, and every single one of them puts more work into their commissions than required. you absolutely did the right thing by pointing out that the sum was larger than the asking price. just out of curiosity, how much more than the original price (in percentage terms is fine) did he give you?

i'm sure you can use the money for your paintings. enjoy it, and be proud of yourself for doing such a great job. every now and then we have clients who offer more money than we ask for a piece, and because i know that our prices are very reasonable in proportion to the value of the pieces, i am shy but happy to take it. i know that we give extras to our clients all the time, so i figure that this is just my work coming full circle. tipping for artists is not a practice regularly associated with the trade (unlike waiting tables, bell hops, etc.), so the only reason it would have been offered is because your client felt he wanted you to have it.
    I don't have a shop or any items already painted except for my personal ones that are not for sale. I haven't been in the art business for many years. Over the summer I took on a small job teaching art. One of the ladies that was in the class passed my name and number on to a person she knew that wanted his idea painted on this wood canvas of sorts that he made himself. We met and he penciled his idea on a piece of paper and I took that idea and made a painting out of it on the wood. He gave me 50% than we agreed on (which was his offer and not an estimate from me) and I guess it made me feel uncomfortable excepting more because his offer was generous to begin with considering what he wanted.
    I have a business unrelated to art that I run with my husband in real estate but that's going south for the time being. In the past I've painted vases, glassware, windows, old wood, mailboxes, etc and sold them at a booth.
    I want to be more professional this time if this goes anywhere... Possibly along the line of where you're at in your career.
    Thanks again.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:47 AM
    I don't have any idea what your work looks like, but most painters don't have a shop; they have a studio. If what you do is closer to crafts, it's a little different. We do handmade, customized furniture, lighting and décor in wrought iron. Most of what we do is made to order. There are some finished pieces in the studio, and we do sell those too, but they're mainly prototypes of new designs for exhibitions. It's a small but high end company. If you work in wrought iron, you need a studio. On the other hand, a painter or craftsman can often work from home without a problem. If you do the proper paperwork, you can even advertise. 50% is a lot, but he wanted you to have it. Don't worry about it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand
    i don't have any idea what your work looks like, but most painters don't have a shop; they have a studio. if what you do is closer to crafts, it's a little different. we do handmade, customized furniture, lighting and decor in wrought iron. most of what we do is made to order. there are some finished pieces in the studio, and we do sell those too, but they're mainly prototypes of new designs for exhibitions. it's a small but high end company. if you work in wrought iron, you need a studio. on the other hand, a painter or craftsman can often work from home without a problem. if you do the proper paperwork, you can even advertise. 50% is a lot, but he wanted you to have it. don't worry about it.
    LOL, OK I can safely say I wouldn't be doing what you do:)
    Sounds wonderful and amazing though, much more than what I do.
    People around here have specialty shops where they sell their artwork/crafts at.
    I got the impression you had your own shop like this, my bad.
    I do stuff along the crafty side I guess, I like painting stuff:D
    Thanks for everything!
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Sep 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
    It might be all right UNLESS you are breaking the company's rules. Many companies DO NOT LET THEIR EMPLOYEES (MUCH LESS THEIR EXECUTIVES) to accept any kind of gifts from third parties. In this case, the best thing to do is to just tell the person offering the tip that you cannot accept it BUT that you really appreciate it as if you had accepted it.
    And close the subject.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why did he have to be so rude? [ 14 Answers ]

Why did my ex have to be such a jerk? I sent him an email this morning... people told me not to do it, but I am weak I guess... told him I was working on being less passive-aggressive, could he send me my stuff from the house, wished things could have worked out but if he has moved on nothing...

To Accept or Not Accept a Gift [ 10 Answers ]

It's the Christmas season, so yesterday I spent the day making cookies which were then wrapped in a decorative tin that I gave to a male co-worker as a thank you for help done at work and for the occasional ride home from work. I was quite surprised when he handed me a little gift bag in return....

What happened to being polite and respectful? [ 68 Answers ]

"The bread and wine representing Christ's broken body and lifegiving blood are replaced with sadomasochistic sex toys in this twisted version of Da Vinci's The Last Supper," CWA said on its Web site. "'Gay' activists disingenuously call Christians 'haters' and 'homophobes' for honoring the...

Polite way to request privacy. [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are currently expecting our second child. I am due on January 5, but am expecting an early birth at the end of December if my doctor is correct in her assumtions. Last year, my Father in law voiced an urge to come and stay with us over Christmas holiday so he could watch my son...

Words acceptable in polite society [ 7 Answers ]

Is there an acceptable word for "turd" ? Or have we invented a vulgate word for something that should to have a word to identify it?

View more questions Search