Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniella4087 Posts: 55, Reputation: 0

Sep 5, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Credit card fraud
    Hi my sister got into a situation at one of her former employers... where she was using ppls credit card numbers to purchase gift cards... equaling a total of 2,200 dollars and at the time of her getting caught with security she had giving them back 732.00 worth of gift cards which the security said was going to get credited off the 2,200 this was a year ago and they still didn't credit her that money... so should she get credited for that I mean she didn't spend the money.. they put it back on the peoples accounts and there is not 732.00 worth of merchandise taking from the store... so why would she have to pay money back that she did not spend and was giving back to the credit card holders??
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Theft is theft. She will probably be charged criminally soon for taking the credit card numbers and buying gift cards with it. Has she paid back the other money she took? For each instance she used the other person's credit card that would be considered one count of theft/fraud and it will total up to grand theft.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Hello d:

Why doesn't she just ask? They have telephones, you know.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 06:35 AM
    In fact they can be changed for each credit card as a separate crime if they want to, or bunch them together to make it a more major charge. So you best bet is an attorney
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2008, 06:37 AM
    I'm not clear what would be credited? It doesn't matter whether she reimburses the charges or not when she is tried for the thefts. But if she plans on reimbursing the fruadulently purchased cards, then the amount already reimbursed should be credited to that total.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daniella4087
    hi my sister got into a situation at one of her former employers...where she was using ppls credit card numbers to purchase gift cards....equaling a total of 2,200 dollars and at the time of her getting caught with security she had givin them back 732.00 worth of gift cards which the security said was going to get credited off the 2,200 this was a year ago and they still didnt credit her that money....so should she get credited for that i mean she didnt spend the money.. they put it back on the peoples accounts and there is not 732.00 worth of merchandise takin from the store...so why would she have to pay money back that she did not spend and was givin back to the credit card holders???

Can't speak for the rest of the World but in my area - NYS - she would be charged with the total theft - $2,200 - whether she gave part of it back of not.

She originally stole it and that's what she's charged with.

It's just a matter of phrasing but she didn't get into a situation - she stole.

Sep 6, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Can't speak for the rest of the World but in my area - NYS - she would be charged with the total theft - $2,200 - whether she gave part of it back of not.

No I'm sorry you guys must of not understood me correctly... she has already been charged a long time ago but now she on PTI and she is paying back what she is supposed to be paying back but I mean at the time she was caught she gave them 732.00 worth of gidt cards to security and security put that money back on the accounts so my sister should not have to pay that 732.00 it should be taking off the 2,200 because its like she never took the money if the person has it back on there credit card... correct?? And its not about just calling and asking to who ever said that.. its not that easy or maybe she would have did that by now don't u think?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 11:25 AM
    and its not about just callin and askin to who ever said that..its not that easy or maybe she woulda did that by now dont u think??
    Hello daniella:

No, I DON'T think so. Lots of people are afraid to call their PO and ask serious questions because they think it might upset them. I believe your sister is one of them.

In fact, it IS as easy as that.

excon

Sep 6, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Again, why does she not think the returned cards were not credited?

Sep 6, 2008, 11:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello daniella:

No, I DON'T think so. Lots of people are afraid to call their PO and ask serious questions because they think it might upset them. I believe your sister is one of them.

In fact, it IS as easy as that.

excon

Well I know so she has already talked it over with her PO and her PO said she was going to talk to security and then someone else but what I don't under stand is what is taking soooo long for her to credit for those gift cards that she returned... they can't make her pay for something that she did not spend and the money is back on the persons credit card... am I right or wrong??
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2008, 05:24 AM
    well i know so she has already talked it over with her PO and her PO said she was gonna talk to security and then someone else but what i dont under stand is what is taking soooo long for her to credit for those gift cards that she returned...they can't make her pay for something that she did not spend and the money is back on the persons credit card...am i right or wrong???

I think she should either talk to the PO again or go straight to the Judge -

Who took possession of the gift cards when she turned them in?

Sep 7, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee

It's just a matter of phrasing but she didn't get into a situation - she stole.

Well the security guy specifically told her she would get credit for the gift cards... it doesn't matter if she stole 2,200... she did not spend that she gave it back and it was put back the persons card so its like she didn't take it so shouldn't she be paying for what merchadise she took from the store... he even told her at the time as well to bring back any clothing or anything that still had tags on them or at least never worn or whatever for her to credit for that too... so I guess he would have taking that stuff too and not giving her credit.. its a good thing she didn't... but hopefully this will all be settled by her next PO appointment
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 05:11 AM
    well the security guy specifically told her she would get credit for the gift cards...it doesnt matter if she stole 2,200....she did not spend that she gave it back and it was put back the persons card so its like she didnt take it so shouldnt she jus be paying for what merchadise she took from the store.... he even told her at the time as well to bring back any clothing or anything that still had tags on them or at least never worn or whatever for her to credit for that too.....so i guess he would have takin that stuff too and not givin her credit..its a good thing she didnt...but hopefully this will all be settled by her next PO appointment

My question was - when she turned in the cards, who took possession of them? Store security? The Police?

Sep 8, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Daniella,

Very often we need additional information to provide accurate advice. Without that information we can't help you. I've asked you twice now what makes your sister think she isn't getting credit for the cards she returned? Judy has asked you who did she turn the cards into. If you aren't going to address our questions we can't help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card fraud [ 2 Answers ]

Here's my ? If a credit card is stolen and then used at a gas station by the thief, can the officer investigating the credit card fraud ask for the video survalnce from the gas station ? Or do they need a warrant to get that survalence?

Credit card fraud [ 3 Answers ]

I transferred 3300 from my job to my credit card with false refunds. I want to pay it back in full now. Its my first offense. Will I go to jail?:confused:

Spousal credit card fraud [ 1 Answers ]

I applied for a credit card in my husbands name and then used it to transfer all of our high interest credit cards onto. He had no knowledge of this in any way. He has since found out and is of course livid. The credit card company knows that he did not apply for this card and that it was myself...

Credit Card fraud [ 8 Answers ]

I paid off a credit card last yr and 3-4 months later the credit card company reopened my account without my consent. I later had to get my credit report pulled to then realize that I was 30 days late for payment. Automatically a red flag went up because I never pay my bills late and guess what,...

View more questions Search