Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Perplexed22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Whirlpool Senseon - loud rattle
    The problem did not exist on previous use four days ago. Today the dryer runs normally; electronic control panel working, drum tumbles clothing, heat works and dries clothes but there is a loud metallic rattle type noise while the dryer is in operation. The rattle is consistent with the overall vibration frequency of the unit. Rattle did not come on gradually but rather started with first use today with no change over course of several loads. Air from the dryer vent is hot & humid with good flow volume.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

May 6, 2006, 03:54 PM
    The "senseon" system is actually in several different models, each having a design (and sounds) quite different from the next. A model number may be helpful in this case. It should be on a sticker just inside the door opening.

May 6, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Thanks for your response. The model number is:

GGW9868KQ2

The unit is about 2 1/2 years old.

May 7, 2006, 09:27 AM
    This is Whirlpool's 27" dryer platform. It's design is not new by any means; I think it was originally developed for the Sears Kenmore line many years ago. It has been relatively unchanged since inception. Unfortunately, these dryers don't usually have many noises to deal with. I think we need to check the blower for foreign material. First, unplug the dryer. To gain blower access, you need to open the lower front panel by releasing the 2 black metal spring clips in the crack above the lower panel. Use a stiff putty knife or similar object to push down on the top of the clips and pull out on the top of the panel. Once both are released, the panel simply hinges down to the floor. Then, open the door and remove the lint screen, and close the door. There is a dark metal duct (lint screen slides down into it from above) that leads to the blower inlet right in front. Remove this by removing two 1/4" screws at the top left and right of the duct and one 1/4" screw at the bottom. The bottom screw actually holds a bracket that holds the duct. Once the screws are out, the duct pulls away and there's the blower. Make sure there isn't anything in the vanes to put the blower out of balance, such as dollar bills or paper of any kind, buttons, barettes, etc. Reassemble the ductwork and test. Let me know what you find. Thanks.

May 21, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Sorry for the delay in posting this response. I travel every week on business and as such my home projects typically take several weekends to complete.

The putty knife got me past the lower kick panel and the duct work screws were as you described. Upon removing the blower duct, I discovered a sparrow nest sized glob of lint and stickers (we live in the country) in the center of the blower (see attachment for picture). I removed the lint glob then vacuumed the blower and associated duct work pieces as well as visible lint in the blower area of the dryer. Re-assembled and tested. The loud metallic rattle was mostly gone - adjusting the position of the dryer solved the rest. The rattle was apparently caused by vibration of the joint between the dryer's internal metal duct work and the external metal adapter needed to route the exhaust air to the outside.

Thanks for your help - saved me at least $55.00 for a service call.

May 22, 2006, 06:51 PM
    Glad you found it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Senseon dryer won't start [ 13 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Senseon electric dryer (model GEQ9858JQ0, same as in another post - "Whilrpool dryer keeps shutting off" from 2/9/06). It's about five years old. The dryer worked fine until today. We ran several loads through it just fine today, then it wouldn't start when pressing the Start...

Whirpool Senseon Dryer not drying [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I have an electric Whirlpool Senseon dryer that's 6 years old. In the past 6 months the dryer has been taking much longer to dry. I have an appliance warranty through our local utility. I've made a call and they have dispatched one of their contract appliance repair contractors...

Return air fan making rattle noises [ 3 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can help me before my a/c goes out. It is working & cooling just fine right now, with the exception of the rattle & noise the fan is making when it is on. The noise starts about 15-25 seconds after the fan turns on. It was so loud last night that it woke me up. It starts...

Loud music [ 3 Answers ]

I rent out a house to 2 tenants. The upstairs tenants are complaining that the downstairs tenants plays her music too loud. How do I handle this? Is there a letter availabcle to sent about petty issues.

01 Ram rattle [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 2001 Dodge ram with a 5.9 litre engine w/Automatic tranny, I have noticed a metallic rattle sound coming from the engine while I'm driving.This normally occurs in 3rd & 4th gears and is preceded by a slight resistance accompanied with a hiss sound. I had a 318 in my grand...

View more questions Search