Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawsonstone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2013, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dawsonstone View Post
    http://www.endtimesreport.com/dead_gen.html... helpful info for recharging generator field....have used both methods listed with sucess
    Or To flash the field on a small home use generator,get an ext. cord & cut off the female end of it & strip the wires & connect the wires to a 12 volt car or lawn tractor battery, & plug the male end of the cord, into the 120 A.C. side of the generator.

Make SURE that the black wire which is POS/HOT on an A.C. cord, gets connected to the RED/POS. side of the auto battery, & the white wire on A.C. cord gets connected to the BLK./NEG. side of the battery. If the ext. cord wires are not black & white, then the smaller prong of the plug is the POS./HOT

Plug the other end of the ext. cord into the generators 120 volt side & remove spark plug wire, & pull the starter cord 4-5 times, then remove the ext. cord, reconnect the spark plug wire, start the unit & plug something of 120 A.C. volts in to see if it works. If it does then let it run for about a half hour with 2 -300 watt lights or something similar to help re-generate the unit.

Read more: Recharging generator field - DoItYourself.com Community Forums
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
    I didn't look very hard to find a serviv=ce manual, but sometimes they are out there. You may nned the serial number to even look as in generac's site.

Here is "A service manual", but not for yours.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Gen...g%20Manual.pdf

I did find the resistance info your looking for: Generac 5500XL, model#09778-7 no output. Changed - FixYa

Remember that there are probably two output windings and a control. There needs to be enough "residual magnatism" to get the generator kick started.

In MANY cases, you will get no output if protection sensors aren't working.

If you don't have a 4 or 5 wire ohmmeter, or an ohmmeter that can be zeroed or a constant current source, you'll have to resort to another technique using an ammeter or known resistor and a voltmeter.

An example, you should be able to get a 10 ohm precision resistor of sufficient wattage and a D battery. I = 12/(10+0.3) is a little over an amp. P = I*I*R or 1*1*10 or about 10 Watts.

you can add 3 Amp fuse to. So, what you need to do is put a voltage source, fuse, known resistor that won't damage anything.

I'd recommend making your own 4-terminal resistor. Take a small size wire and a large AWG wire and solder to each end. The large wires will be current and the small wires voltage. Initially use the Ammeter function of your meter (again pay attention to the internal resistance to the point that it will current limit stuff). The current is the same everywhere and the Voltage is defined to be those two small wires (Say 22 AWG). By using R - V/I, you now have the value of your precision shunt. You will need two DVM's this way.

Now use the shunt, fuse, battery. And power supply and do the same thing. Measure the voltage across the resistor and the voltage across the coils. Do the math to determine current and finally resistance of the windings.

Instead of the fuse, you could substitute 1 or 2 12 V high intensity lamps in parallel for the fuse. The light bulb is a current dependent resistor. So if you use 12 v supply and a 1.5 Amp bub, the current will be limited to 1.5 Amps.

So, you really have to measure the VOLTAGE ACROSS the DUT (Device Under test) and the CURRENT through the DUT using currents and voltages that don't damage. Paying attention to protections like a light bulb and current limiting caused by the shunt in your ammeter.

if you have an ammeter, a voltmeter and a variable power supply either current limited or with a fuse in series, life is easier.

Measuring 2 ohms with your run of the mill DVM is nonsense. Using a 4 or 5 terminal DVM, now we are talking.

Non-use may actually mean that the generator needs reflashing to put the residual magnetic field back. Polarity needs to be right.

I hope this makes sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Portable generator doesn't generate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small gas portable generator that sat idle in the barn for several years. I have cleaned out the carberator and the engine runs fine. The problem is it is only producing 5 volts of electricity. What may be the problem?

Most output from generator [ 6 Answers ]

I plan on buying a portable generator to hook up my house for emergency power, going to instal a manual transfer switch. I was wondering most generators have numerous outlets on them do I have to rewire the panel on the generator to get max output or does the 240 receptacle put out the max, I plan...

Portable generator [ 2 Answers ]

QUOTE=tkrussell]The 100 volts is a bit low. Electrical device operate on +/- 10% , so the lowest volts supplied should be no lower than 108 volts. Incandescent lamps and electric heat will work fine on 100 volts. But any motors may overheat using 100 volts. Volts is usually changed on the...

Portable generator [ 2 Answers ]

The question I have is that my generator is only putting out about 100v. I would like to know if this will cause damage to anything that is running off the generator. Correct me if I am wrong but don't most appliances run between 110 and 120. I was told that the output of the generator could vary...

Portable Generator [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in purchasing a 5000 to 6200 watt portable generator to use during power outages. What are the safety concerns such as rain, snow, how far from any structues must it be used, and can it be placed on a deck? Also would like to here any recommendations as to what model and...

View more questions Search