Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jen_peters23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Dog peeing blood every 15 minutes but not a lot at a time
    I have a 10 yr old beagle and she was peeing dark orange at first that was last week then she seemed to be going fine then today I noticed she was peeing every 15 minutes and there was blood in it it is just blood red when she pees what can I do to make her get better our family vet is out for the weekend an I just noticed this after they had already closed and she is just peeing about a tablespoon when she goes every 15 minutes
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Sounds like a uti infection. I would take her to another vet. She is getting old and sometimes it is harder to recover from even the simpilist infection. In the meantime if you are unable t o go until Monday, I would give her lots of water and have patience with her as she is uncomfortable and in pain
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Quiet honestly, if this has been going on for a while and has started back up she could develop a blockage and die. If she were my pet I would be at a ER vets office ASAP.
    If your pet pees or poos blood that is cause for concern, not a wait and see. If you had addressed this when it first started then maybe it would have been completely cleared up by now. I hope you didn't/don't wait to long.
    fixius_ae Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Sep 6, 2008, 06:16 AM
    It is probably a bladder infection. The dark orange urine was probably the beginning of a Urinary Tract Infection and now it has spread up into the bladder. If it was just a UTI she would just be going frequently but there would be no blood, just burning and small frequent amounts of urine. But now since it is just blood it is probably a bladder infection. Think about where urine is stored, your bladder. And if only blood is coming out when the dog is urinating, that means that the bladder has blood in it which is not good. Since your dog is older you need to see a vet ASAP to get antibiotics and something for the pain, because believe me it hurts a lot. The danger is that this infection can spread to the kidneys and since the dog is older it would not be good for her to have to fight off that much infection.

But if you get her to the vet soon she will be fine. In the meanwhile try cranberry juice or lots of water or a mix of both. That will help. I'm sure your dog will be OK with antibiotics. Good luck!
    RWuest Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Sep 7, 2008, 09:54 PM
    I agree that it sounds like a UTI, but a UTI in humans, I've never heard of one in dogs; not to say it doesn't happen, I just don't know what the symptoms would be.
    I would take your beagle to an ER immediately, so they can rehydrate with fluids and let them tell you how long to wait to talk to another vet.

If there was a change in diet, or any environmental stress it could have something to do with her GI tract...
    fixius_ae Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Sep 8, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Here is a website that has some UTI information on it. I don't know how respectable the website is but it wouldn't hurt to look it over. Urinary Tract Infections in Dogs and Cats

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Liking someone a lot the first time you meet them! [ 7 Answers ]

Just wanted to see how many people experienced this. Have you every liked someone a lot the first time you met them. What was it you liked and did anything happen between you.!

Dog peeing blood [ 4 Answers ]

OK well my dog was peeing blood last night in little drops every like 30 seconds or so and she was having a hard time going normally and I called the vet and he said to give her lots of water and cranberry juice and I did that and he said to call back if it doesn't get any better.. but today now...

Name of song that goes: fifteen minutes with you and I might lose my place in time. [ 6 Answers ]

So there is this song on a commercial. It's on the n, a commercial for the television show "south of nowhere" anyway, it plays this song, and the first part of the commercial the song says: " fifteen minutes with you and i might lose my place in time" and that's really all the lyrics you can...

Old dog poops and pees a lot a lot a lot [ 4 Answers ]

I just rescued a very old dalmatian from my neighbors she has tumors all over Her body and she is very thin . I started her on good food. I feed her a cup in a half a day And water is always available. She poops so much 5 times a day? I keep my dogs in the sun room at night when we get up there...

Dog peeing and pooping on rugs all the time [ 6 Answers ]

I am wondering if someone can help me out. We have a mini daschund that is three years old and just recently she has gotten to where she goes and pees and poops on rugs through out the house and it is very frustating when she does this. She has pads down but will not use them. If we take her...

View more questions Search