Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Millydogz Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Sep 5, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Password for folder on Mac OS X
    How do I make a folder on my computer have a password so that no-one but me can access it?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Password Protect a Folder on the Mac

• Open up the "Disk Utility" application
    • File -> New -> Disk Image from Folder...
    • choose a folder to protect
    • choose "AES-128" encryption and press Save
    • Enter your desired new password twice (Do not forget it.)

This process creates an ordinary Macintosh disk image (.dmg) file. The disk image contains the entire contents of the folder, but cannot be opened unless the correct password is supplied. To open it, just double-click the .dmg file in Finder. A password dialog box will appear. Once you supply your correct password, Finder will automatically unencrypt your data and mount the image as a disk.

Now you can move the .dmg file to any place you want, and you can even delete your original folder since you now have the .dmg version.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 06:41 PM
    If that method isn't simple enough, you can use a program to make your folder disappear from view and only you know it's there, and even when you do try to open it a password is required. There are many such programs out there... here's one:

Altomac - Hide Folders, freeware program to protect documents and folders on Mac OS X
    Markus2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 01:50 AM

Try to use LoginTrap.It's tool can capture every login events by using iSight.I use this tool and I know who logs on my Mac. It's really good program. Try)
    getso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 04:39 AM
    As for me I prefer Logon Sentry ( www.protemac.com )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Password protected folder in Win XP? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to create password protected folders in Windows XP and what might those steps be? Currently, I am using MS Word and Excel password protected files, but I would much rather consolidate them into one password protected folder. Thanks in advance.

Install folder is missing from my Windows (XP) folder [ 3 Answers ]

How odd. Tried to install a program and got "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime". I found the fix options at microsoft.com but one of them refers to C:\Windows\Installer - and I realize I don't have it! How the heck it disappeared I have no clue :confused: Hope hope...

Password protecting a folder [ 1 Answers ]

How can you password protect a folder on your desktop?

Any way to password protect desktop folder in XP Pro? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I am running Windows XP Pro with SP 2. I would like to know if there is a way to password protect folders on my desktop. For instance, lets say I have all the "default" icons and then I create 5 or 6 folders for different things that I want to put in them. Say I forget to log off or...

Setup an password in folder access [ 5 Answers ]

Dear sir; I want to setup an password in my desire folder I have win98 folder what should I do to protect my folder from other without changing my user account

View more questions Search