Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fleep1234 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 10:37 PM
    Took in a stray abused cat from outdoors; but cat get it to go in the litter box!
    Please help! My roommate and I have recently took in a stray beaten up cat. When she took her to the vet she ended up dropping loads of money on this cat to help her. She has a giant wound, and has a respitory infection, she was very mal nutritioned- she's skin and bones.. the whole nine yards. Every day we see improvement (thanks to really expensive antibiotics, that cost more than my damn medicine) except for litterbox training! She basically goes in it if she feels like it... which is rare. I keep it clean. Im trying to take notice of where she goes the most. Which seems to be behind the couch. I heard potting soil works.Any other ideas in case the potting soil doesn't work? I can't let her back outside. I live in a very busy area, and she's weak and defensless. Other than that she's the sweetest cat in the world and I can't believe anyone would let their cat get to that point, we had to help her. Is it too late for her to understand the concept?!?!?!

Also does anyone think she'll get the other 2 cats sick if they come into contact?? Right now their separated. The vet said she's okay to come home to other cats, but to keep her away for a while. Its been about a week, and once we get the potty training down pat we want to be able to let her out of the room so she doesn't have to be alone 50% of the day. They treated her for fleas and their all gone now and she's on an antibiotic for about a month.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 08:04 AM
    I'd try the potting soil for now. She's used to digging in dirt, and may not like the feel of the other litters. You might also want to try Nature's Miracle Kitty Litter, or Swheat Scoop. They have a fine sandy texture (which means that they track pretty badly!), but that might be a texture that she finds acceptable. And for now, I would keep her separated, mostly because she's still healing up. But it also helps to introduce cats slowly, and keeping her confined in a small room will help with the litter training.
    fleep1234 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 12:54 PM
    So now she's poops in the box with the potting soil. But she still won't pee in it, she keeps peeing on my couch. It seems like she only does it when no one is in the room.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
    I'm glad the potting soil has been working, at least for the poops. I was going to recommend adding some cut grass to it. Perhaps you should keep her in the same room as you so you can keep an eye on her. In any case, it's not too late for her to understand the concept.

Regarding the other cats, I agree with froggy. She needs to heal properly, and you don't want a potential kitty swat to do more damage to a healing wound. When they are introduced, do it slowly, one cat at a time. Have someone hold one cat while you hold her. Sit in the same room petting them. You want them to see that the other is not a threat. Keep the house interesting, too. Paper bags and cardboard boxes make excellent toys.
    Rolltideman Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2008, 07:17 PM

The problem with urine is that the smell on the couch tells them to use it there. Cat urine is VERY difficult to remove, especially to the degree that cats can't smell it. Is it possible to separate the cat from the couch temporarily?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2008, 09:21 PM

A product called Urine Gone should remove the odor if directions are followed. I would also buy a deterent spray to keep her from going near the couch.

Is she neutered, if not this could be part of her problem.

Not to sound heartless but,
    If fall else fails and you have to rehome her maybe she would do better in a home where she is the only cat or do better in a feral colony or as a barn cat.
    Good Luck she sure is lucky you found her.
    QUACKERS Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Sep 27, 2008, 05:18 PM

Hi throwing a bunch of keys behind her when you know she is about to do her soiling, switching on the hoover where she goes cats hate the sound of hoovers, a splash of water over her letting her eat a piece of meat in behind the couch she would not like using her eating room as a toilet, watch out for the other two cats attacking her because she is weak, hope this helps .chris.
    _Mistletoe_ Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2011, 05:29 PM

We understand your anger without you cussing. Thank you.

Training a cat to go in a litter box is actually very simple. Now if the cat has problems like mine, aka she just doesn't scrape litter over hers, then that's different.

Take an afternoon, or anytime you see her, when you see her trying to go to the bathroom anywhere other then the litter box, scoop her up (not at her rear, but by her front legs because she may have an accident while you are carrying her) and place her in the litter box. Very soon, you will start to see results. She will begin to understand, hey! Every time I go to the bathroom, I always get put in the litter box! Sometimes she will do fine for days and then have an accident somewhere she is not supposed to. This is completely normal. Just make sure you are watching her and repeat the above process every time you see her fixing to do some business. ;)

Hope this helps, keep me posted
    QUACKERS Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Apr 26, 2011, 03:21 PM
    Hi when you see your cat going behind the couch through a bunch of keys with her seeing you just to scare her or pop a baloon, You can do this where she goes to toilet except the proper place wich is the tray, try getting a different cat litter if she does not seem to like the litter you already use,If she is still weak keep her away from the other cats because they will attack her if she shows any signs of weakness, introduce gently while having her lie on your lap and purring giving the other cats the curiosity factor of what's that?
    If the other cats are lying on the floor let her walk around but beware of any of the other cats arching the back or hairs sticking up because they are signs of possible attack coming, Tie a cotton around a scrunched up piece of paper and have the cats play together attacking and pouncing on the paper, You can also buya laser light pen for them to chase or watch etc. Hope this helps I hope your cat recovers soon Chris.w
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 04:49 PM

Old thread from 2008.

Please check dates before posting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can yukka plants survive outdoors in a you.k. Climate. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a yukka that is approx 4 ft high and well established. It is getting too big for the house and I was wondering if it would survive outdoors in it's large pot in the English climate? Thanks Richard.

Like being abused [ 8 Answers ]

Yea so I'm trying to figure out why I like when my girlfriend hits me and hurts me both physically and mentally like calling me names like insulting me and I don't know its just hot to me and she wants to know why but I don't know either just wondering I anyone has some helpful suggestions

Ammonium Sulfide 3ml (approx) safe outdoors? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Would 3mL of an Ammonium Sulfide solution be considered unsafe and/or annoying if it were used outside on private property? I live in a city and want to keep my stoop clear of those wanting to use it as a smoking, foul language and vomit stop (yep, cleaned it up last sat). I have an...

Two new kittens that are outdoors [ 1 Answers ]

I just got two 9 week old kittens yesterday. They were brother and sister. They were outside cats. They were eating rats, pork and beans, meat, dog food, cat food. I just got them kitten chow but they barely eat it what should I do ? Also how do I teach them to be indoor kittens when they are...

Condenser fan (outdoors) doesn't work [ 2 Answers ]

Today is my first time this year to use the central air condition. However, the condenser fan (outdoors) doesn't work. I cab hear the buzz noise. The unit inside the home is working. The condenser fan doesn't even rotate when I try to move it by hand. What I can do with it? Thanks a lot!

View more questions Search