Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emikif Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Expenses or revenues
    Hello, I am trying to calculate the net income of a company from information that is available from its recent fiscal year. I know how to calculate net income, but I am asking if the following are expenses or revenues.

- cash sales
    - sales on account
    - interest earned on investment (I think this is an expense, but I am not sure)
    - inventory purchased for resale
    - long term loan received AND
    - common stock issued for cash.

Thank you in advance!
    emikif
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2008, 12:51 PM
    The first three are revenues. The 4th is an expense. Long term loan received is neither and expense or revenue. It increases your cash balance and also increases your Note Payable balance. The only income statement effect that could result would be interest charged on the loan, but you did not specify parameters for that. Your last situation is describing a Capital transaction. This would increase your cash balance as well as your common stock balance (I,e. you are selling more ownership of the company to someone to raise funds).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recording Prepaid expenses and Unearned Revenues [ 2 Answers ]

Hello- This is my first time taking Accounting and I'm having a few problems with some of my entries. If anyone could look at my first entry and help it would be greatly appreciated. I have to do the following: Prepare entries for the transactions under the method that records prepaid...

Matching revenues and expenses [ 4 Answers ]

The concept of matching revenues and expenses refers to what?

Calculating revenues, expenses, and income [ 2 Answers ]

Please help Fill in the blanks in the following separate income statements a through e. Identify any negative Amount by putting it in parentheses. A b c d e Sales.. . $60,000...

Revenues is the difference [ 1 Answers ]

Revenues is the difference between cash receipts and payments. True/ False I think it is false

Methods used to record revenues and expenses [ 1 Answers ]

What questions should you ask about the methods used to record revenues and expenses?

View more questions Search