Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CP0721 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Loud Heat Pump
    Hello-
    Our neighbors have installed a heat pump recently much to our dismay. It’s located on the side of there house which is only about 5 feet from our living room wall. Needless to say, the sound is coming straight into our living room. It’s a constant buzzing noise. Any ideas how we can quiet it down some?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 05:33 PM
    The official method will be to contact the local municipal code office, check into allowable noise levels, and if the installation is code compliant.

The neighborly method would be to offer to help check the unit for a few things, remove any packing materials, bolts, braces, etc.; check all unit bolts for tightness, looking for any loose parts.

Could be the unit does not have enough Freon ,since being new, not uncommon for leaks to sjow soon.

Make sure any path of air from a fan is not blocked.

What kind of residential area is set up so that a machine can be placed outside your living room?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2006, 04:30 AM
    Hi,
    There are many residential areas in VA, in the mountains, where homes are only about 20 ft apart. Installing a heat pump by the side of a home would only leave about 10 to 15 ft from the other home, depending on the location of the heat pump unit.
    I would talk with the neighbors, ask them to have to checked out by a reputable AC person, or ask them to call those who installed it, to come back out and check it. There really shouldn't be a loud "buzzing" noise coming from it. Most have the "fan sound"; that's all.
    I can hear two heat pumps running; one next door, the other about 200 ft away in front, but can't hear them in the house. All I hear are the fans running, pushing and pulling the air. These heat pumps only make "buzzing" sounds when the "defroster" turns on in the winter time, to melt ice off the heat pump vanes. That only lasts a few seconds.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    victormiko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 11:32 AM
    Xx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

Heat Pump - Payne [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I sent a request to Carrier regarding my question but they want to send a service rep. instead of answering my question. I have a one year old heat pump that was added to my medium efficiency furnace. I live in Canada, West Coast, and the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It...

Heat Pump? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had someone install a brand new 98% eff. Furnace with a 13 seer a/c. They offered to put a dual fuel heat pump in for $2000.00. My gas bills are still a little higher than I would like and I wanted to know if a dual fuel heat pump is really worth the extra money and if it would save me...

Heat Pump [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Lennox heat pump. My builder was required to put one in per our neighborhood association. However, he set the thermostat so that it would never kick on because he thought I would like the hotter air provided by the gas furnace. I was thinking with the price of gas on the rise the heat...

View more questions Search