Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 02:34 AM
    Help, need advice re: debt
    Basically my situation is :-

Currently my husband and I are in process of doing our house.
    Got a Home Mortgage to purchase the property.

Basically together monthly wage is roughly 650.
    Our current debt is 989, in which we have to pay it by next pay day, end of month. How the hell can do we so?
    Im so stressed and down :(
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 02:37 AM
    Oh, sorry wanted to add, and getting another loan is not a good idea. We both don't need more loans and interest and monthly payments to pay.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Anyone there to help me?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 04:58 AM
    Hi,
    Both your total income is $650.
    You already owe $989, due by end of month.
    You want to buy property. You are absolutely correct is not trying to take out another loan.
    Your mortgage should not be more than 1/4 your combined incomes, roughly.
    So, your mortgage shouldn't be more than $162 per month.

Is this "current debt" your mortgage payment? If so, you are way, way, way in "over your head".
    If it isn't your mortgage payment, then pay it off first, maybe paying half of it, and asking for an extension to pay the other half next month. Best of luck.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 05:03 AM
    Our monthly mortgage payment is 188.
    Our debt of 989, are Notary fees, we bought a bedroom and the fridge. Which these need to be paid off by end of May, more the fridge and bedroom.
    I don't know how to cope or what to do. So the 989 is excluding mortgage payments and other bills.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 05:20 AM
    If the $989 HAS to be paid by the end of the month, your only choice is to get a loan to pay it off.
    I would try talking with those involved with the 989, see if you can extend your deadline. If not, a loan is the only way. Or, hopefully, you have a friend who could loan you the money, interest free, and you could pay back your friend over a couple of months.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 05:29 AM
    989 is combined - 200 - notary fees (which was a total of 600) and slowly have been paying him off, so I feel abit ashamed asking him to extend it more. 400 is for our bedroom, 284 for the fridge, 67 is for a mate who helped working in our flat and 36 for our PC.
    I have a mortgage, VISA cards and a Mastercard, I feel I can't handle more loans, more payments.
    Its all too much for me. And besides that, I help mum with shopping we divide what she spends which is usually about 85 a month plus with her water & electricity bill.
    Then she moans at me about how broke she is...
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

May 5, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Krs, I typed this out once then lost it so if yo get it twice, my apologies.

Don't get another loan! I think you know that is not the answer. If you are not willing to ask for another extension then you will have to come up with the money somehow. Do you have anything you can sell? Can either of you get a side job? It sounds like you don't want to use the credit cards and that is smart. Don't use them ever! Money problems exist usually because of two reasons. Income problems and spending problems. Do not buy anything you don't have the cash for. First is the debt though. Try to pay it down before you buy anything else. I do realize that when you buy a home this is hard, but it has to be done. Like I said, sell something, take overtime, take a second job. If you truly want out of debt, you can do it.

Have you ever listened to Dave Ramsey? I know he is on many radio stations or you can listen to him online for free at his website. You can listen to past shows too or even email or call him. Good luck.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 08:36 AM
    Both my husband and I are working overtime evry day mon - fri, to get extra cash, we don't really have spending problems its more where I come from the wages aren't that grand and the cost of living is high.
    We will somehow manage, where there's a will there's a way I guess.
    Thanks all

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

Who's Debt Is It? [ 3 Answers ]

My -H- and I were married for 21 years. During 99.9% of that time, I didn't work outside the home at his insistance! In fact, he threatened, several times, to divorce me if I got a job due to his fanatical belief in children needing a parent at home and his distrust of day-care. Three years ago,...

Advice Needed on Debt Negotiation / Settlement [ 3 Answers ]

I am about to negotiate some unsecured bad debts and long past due bills. I owed about $20,000 in unsecured credit card debts and past due utilities/phone/insurance bills, and I have not paid them for well over two years. I have been able to successfully hide my tracks and locations from creditors...

Seeking debt advice [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone... I wish I was posting under better circumstances, but I'm not. I need help. After I left college, I found myself in a deep amount of debt. My friends and famly are so beyond helping me and who can blame them. I was thinking of calling a credit counselor but am so nervous. I've...

Need to get out of debt! [ 2 Answers ]

I am so nervous. I have a lot of debt and I don't want to have to file bk. Especially now that laws have changed it makes it more difficult. I am usually a very responsible perosn and I hate the fact of pushing my financial responsibilities onto other people, but due to some perosnal situations I...

View more questions Search