Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Sep 4, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Networking my laptop and computer?
    I think I have networked them, I can see the folder that I wanted to share on the network on both computers. However on my laptop which is vista I can see my computer so I know that I'm networked to it. But on my computer I cannot see the laptop. Why is this? Also my desktop is xp.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 4, 2008, 09:34 AM
    I had the same issue. I wound up just waiting till I had all 3 pc's at home on vista lol. But, this is a fix I found that is supposed to work:

After much trouble, I found the answer to XP/Vista file-sharing problems. Remember that the problem is that Vista uses the more-picky NTLMv2 network protocol, while XP uses NTLMv1. The answer is, therefore, to switch Vista to use NTLMv1.

Here's the Mac-oriented post which tells how to modify Vista: How do I share files with a Windows Vista machine? All things Macintosh - dslreports.com

Rewriting it in Windows terminology, it would read:

To allow Vista to talk to your XP/2000/Linux shares, you must allow Vista to authenticate via NTLMv1:

If you have Windows Vista Home Basic/Premium:
    Open the registry editor. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa.

There will be a value called LmCompatibilityLevel. Set that to DWORD 1. Reboot and try to connect again.

(source: vista64.net forums)

If you have Windows Vista Enterprise, Business, or Ultimate:
    Follow the instructions at

Get Vista and Samba to work - Blogs - Code Monkey Business - Builder AU

The above registry editing will work, but this method is easier to accomplish.

If you have a newer version of Linux that has Samba ≥ version 3.0.22:
    Edit the file /etc/smb.conf and add the following line to the [global] section:

client ntlmv2 auth = yes

Restart Windows File Sharing and attempt to connect again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Networking xp laptop and xp desktop [ 10 Answers ]

Can you please send the steps to network the vista laptop and xp desktop using a cross over cable Please help me

Networking my laptop and computer? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi can I network a laptop and computer by having them both connected to my router? My router is a netgear DG834 v2. Thanks.

Networking two older Computers with a new Laptop [ 6 Answers ]

I have two older computers running Windows 98 and they are networked together through dual Coax and Ethernet Network cards using the Coax option. I also have a new laptop running Windows Vista Business Edition this is linked to broadband via a Linksys WRT 300N Wireless Broadband Router. Can the...

Computer networking [ 3 Answers ]

How do I connect two computers via ethernet for file sharing?

Computer Networking [ 1 Answers ]

Hello People. I have a problem where I have a speed touch modem and a belkin wireless g router. As its not got a wireless card in PC I used an rj45 to the back and it works wonderful. As you know its designed for wireless and I want to be able to connect my laptop via wireless internet connections....

View more questions Search