Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 02:46 AM
    I have two tattoos planned. Every single one of my friends has at least one, my Dad had 17, and was a tattoo artist. 90% of the people at both of my jobs have tattoos. So FOR ME it IS the norm. I think it really depends on the environment that you are in.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 11, 2008, 03:02 AM
    Yep, it's the same for me ChihauhauMomma, I've got two, my Dad has two... my girlfriend has LOADS! Ha ha! A lot of people at my work have them, because it doesn't matter to our employers or to the job we do...

BUT, it's still not normal! At least not to 76% of Americans between 24-50 according to your stats! Ha ha!

I know it's sad to say, but there's certain people that I wouldn't want to see tattooed, or with any other 'modifications'... my bank manager, doctors and nurses, teachers, newscasters, police officers... I could go on, but I think you get the idea!
    Moomin Posts: 167, Reputation: 19

Sep 11, 2008, 03:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    I honestly don't know how anyone can think having a tattoo is a conventional thing ... I'm dumbfounded! :confused:
    I think the point is that people who have tattoos and piercings shouldn't be looked at like freaks! I think it's disgusting people who are perfectly capable of doing a job would be turned away due to a tattoo!

Wasn't there a case not too long ago of someone being turned away from the military for having a tat?

Oh and by the way iAM, piercing holes don't offend people! In fact people usually hardly notice unless someone points them out!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 03:07 AM
    Just because those people don't have tattoos doesn't mean that they deem them "abnormal".

Tattoos, piercings, and other modifications are a external representation of who we are internally. Self expression.

Just thought I'd add--My doctor that I work with is 45, has five degrees, and is a very successful doctor has three tattoos and five piercings. You can still have them and be "normal" and be discreet.

Sep 11, 2008, 03:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomin
    I think the point is that people who have tattoos and piercings shouldn't be looked at like freaks! I think it's disgusting people who are perfectly capable of doing a job would be turned away due to a tattoo!

Wasn't there a case not too long ago of someone being turned away from the military for
    I agree with you, but it doesn't change anything I'm afraid!

I've not read anything about that story, but yeah, if you have offensive tattoos, or tattoo that are conspicious (on your hands, face, neck) you'll be turned away. Also, whilst in the UK military, you should request authority from your chain of command before you get a tattoo!

Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Just because those people don't have tattoos doesn't mean that they deem them "abnormal".
    Yep, but because we can't ask them all, they may do! :D

Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Tattoos, piercings, and other modifications are a external representation of who we are internally. Self expression.
    Indeed they are, but a lot of people will judge you because of them and, to bring this thread back to it's point, they will be judging your book, wrongly or rightly, by it's cover!

Don't get me wrong here people I LOVE tattoo, piercings and coloured hair. Suicidegirls is one of my favourite websites. But I love it BECAUSE it's alternative!

Ooooh, 'alternative'... maybe I should have used that word from the outset! :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 05:51 AM
    I know it's sad to say, but there's certain people that I wouldn't want to see tattooed, or with any other 'modifications' ... my bank manager, doctors and nurses, teachers, newscasters, police officers ... I could go on, but I think you get the idea!
    [/QUOTE]

Why would you find tatoos on bank managers, doctors, nurses, teachers, etc. offensive? In your eyes would it make these people less qualified to do their jobs?

Not that I think newscasters necessarily know what they are talking about, tattoos or not.

Sep 11, 2008, 06:08 AM
    I wouldn't find them offensive... I just think they're in positions of resposibility and as such should portray that in their appearance, bearing and deportment.

I don't think it would make them any less qualified either, as, I suppose, this photo is supposed to show;
    http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images...oed-doctor.jpg

I'm saying that people will, without a shadow of a doubt, without a second thought, instantly judge you if: you have a tattoo, an unusual piercing, an unusual dress sense, an unusual haircut, a physical disability, a mental disability, if you're too fat, too thin, wear glasses, have strange teeth (which, if you're American, is the whole of England apparently! He he!), have ginger hair, have NO hair... (should I go on?)
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 06:26 AM
    I wouldn't find them offensive ... I just think they're in positions of resposibility and as such should portray that in their appearence, bearing and deportment.

I don't think it would make them any less qualified either, as, I suppose, this photo is supposed to show;
    http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images...oed-doctor.jpg

I'm saying that people will, without a shadow of a doubt, without a second thought, instantly judge you if: you have a tattoo, an unusual piercing, an unusual dress sense, an unusual haircut, a physical disability, a mental disability, if you're too fat, too thin, wear glasses, have strange teeth (which, if you're American, is the whole of England apparently! He he!), have ginger hair, have NO hair ... (should I go on?)

I don't think there's that instant judging without a second thought or shadow of a doubt any longer. People were afraid of HD motorcycle riders at one time - now HDs are owned by Doctors, Lawyers, police officers. Things have changed.

I interview thousands of people a year and find there is no longer a preconceived notion on the part of witnesses about how a professional is supposed to look or dress.

Attorneys, during jury selection, no longer pay much attention to appearance, assuming it indicates a mindset or "class" (for lack of a better word) or level of education.

May very well be different in the UK.

Sep 11, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Wowee, America - a land free from discrimination then?

I'm off out to buy my airplane ticket now! Ha ha!
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Wowee, America - a land free from discrimination then?

I'm off out to buy my airplane ticket now! Ha ha!

Ha ha! Probably a good idea.

I didn't say there's no discrimination - I said I don't think it rises to the level you've described.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 11, 2008, 10:21 AM
    I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on here. I think it depends on exactly where you live. I live in a relatively small town, and I know that here, if you have visible tats, unusual piercings, a weird hair color, that you will not get that bank job, that PR job, that pulic figure, or most other high opportunity jobs, if you have these visible things.

I believe it's quite a bit different in larger area's, where it has started to become more acceptable, but the small cities?. it just isn't accepted the same way. A lot of people where I live, definitely do judge because of the way an individual appears on the outside. I don't think it's because they are meaning to be ignorant, I think it's because they really don't see it too much, and their immediate reaction is to be suspicious, or afraid.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Sep 12, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Starbuck, as usual you are right on the money!

It's not the standard to see people w/ any kind of internal flare flashing it on their exterior and being well respected in a lousy small town... which is why the second my daughter is out of high school we're moving out of this tiny close minded town!

Times are changing and big cities and larger towns have people of all different ethnicities and external visible "bells and whistles". It's awesome to see!

I struggle here in this close minded town. I may not adorn any kind of outward decorative display of inner f.y.I. but I do feel very connected and identify w/ people who are open minded and easy going about the external "view".

It's very oppressive to be judged. I think that I have been judged my whole life. I used to have a virtual nervous tick about it... lol, (jks!), but by now I've made peace w/ it. It just still angers me when I have to listen to some people go on and on about those they don't even know... and have a negative reaction toward.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 12, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Exactly Sweet Dee. Something else just came to mind. My sister lives Charlotte, NC. which of course is a very large city. She is an employment recruiter in the medical field, for a large company. It is written right into their contract, that they are to be no visible tatoos, piercings, (other than ears) and no outlandish hair styles or colors. They also of course have a strict dress code.

My sister has 3 tatoos, none of which you can see if she dresses right. One is the Canadian Flag on her back, then a cartoon character on her ankle, and a chinese symbol on her hip. I do remember her telling me that one of her colleagues got fired, for getting a visible tattoo. So it really isn't as acceptable in the workplace, as some might think. A lot of these places do have contract to sign in order to be employed with a specific company, or like Hunter said, the police force and so on.

Just one more quick example. My niece had an eyebrow piercing, and she had pink and blue hair at the time. She applied for a job at Quisnos (sub shop) and they told her that they would not hire her unless she dyed her hair back to a 'normal' color, and took out the piercing when she came to work. She didn't do that, but ended up with a job as a delivery driver, which paid much less.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 09:25 AM
    I work for a small company and my boss won't hire anyone for the counter that has visible piercings anywhere other than the ears. So far, we have never had anyone with a tattoo apply (mostly women).

The company also runs an answering service and the looks go from normal to the extreme, but the employees don't interact personally with the customer, so the boss doesn't care.

My husband is retired US Navy and nearly every sailor has a tattoo, but it can't be visible. If a sailor decides he wants a sleeve tattoo then he has also decided he wants to wear the long sleeve version of his uniform year round, no matter the climate. Many choose to do just that.

My sister works for the public school system and she also has a dress code, hair code and no tatts clause in her contract. Since she is Miss Coldwater Creek, that isn't a problem for her.

I'm a jeans and sneaker girl and love that my workplace does't require office attire. I would die. My sister, the novelist, makes up for all our normalcy and has 5 tattoos - but it too chicken to get anything pierced. Go figure.
    rebel-2 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Sep 14, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Never judge people, never judge.. :)
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Sep 14, 2008, 05:25 AM
    It sure is nice to see that there are people whom exist that do not subscribe to the judging side. It heartens me to see this you guys!

So, am I to understand that these wonderful non judgers would just assume not judge a very beautiful friend for being such a man magnet as much as they'd refrain from judging a tatoo'd laden piercing lover? IF SO...

Then there is HOPE.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetDee
    It sure is nice to see that there are people whom exist that do not subscribe to the judging side. It heartens me to see this you guys!

So, am I to understand that these wonderful non judgers would just assume not judge a very beautiful friend for being such a man magnet as much as they'd refrain from judging a tatoo'd laden piercing lover? IF SO...

Then there is HOPE.

Okay, now you've got me intrigued. You've posted several times that you are a man magnet and very beautiful. Why don't you post your photo?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2008, 03:06 PM
    I think people does judge people sometime in their life one way or another one wayl- whether it is giving that girl in the too-tight outfit a crappy glance - it is still judging or criticizing.

So why do we judge other people? Is it because of jealousy? Dislike? Disappointment? Or is it just a human nature - I mean, is it natural or normal to judge people because we are only human? But when is the judgement taken too far?

Sometimes when I am out with my daughter, who is 7, we see teenagers and sometimes grown men walking down the street with their pants to their knees and you see their underwears I want to say "pull out your pants". Then my daughter ask why is that guys underwear showing and this is in the daytime. Or today I saw this pregnant lady that had to at least be 8 months chain smoking and I wanted to snatch the cigarettes from her hand because who smokes when they are pregnant putting their baby at risk. Also, I dislike when my friend was knowing dating a married man and it took 2 years for me and my friends to talk sense into her. I was judging the people actions not the people itself.

At my job there is also a dress code of do's and dont's. Ladies can't wear minshirts and no visible tattoos. Guys must be clean shaven or if they have facial hair it must be maintain. Also, they are against romantic work relationships. Some jobs that I had in the past none of these things matter but when I sign out for this job you was handed a code of ethics and the do's and don't's and it was very straight forward and clearly written. I guess it basically depends on what type of job you have.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28
    Sometimes when I am out with my daughter, who is 7, we see teenagers and sometimes grown men walking down the street with their pants to their knees and you see their underwears I want to say "pull out your pants". Then my daughter ask why is that guys underwear showing and this is in the daytime. Or today I saw this pregnant lady that had to at least be 8 months chain smoking and I wanted to snatch the cigarettes from her hand because who smokes when they are pregnant putting their baby at risk. Also, I dislike when my friend was knowing dating a married man and it took 2 years for me and my friends to talk sense into her. I was judging the people actions not the people itself.

The big thing right now where I am - and I thought the craze had passed - is pants so low that they are actually UNDER the guy's rear end. I have no idea how people walk.

I see it mostly when I'm working. Maybe it's a gang thing.

I know what you mean about pregnant women smoking - can't believe women who know better take that chance.

And how DO you explain how kids dress to a 7 year old? I took a neighbor's foster child school clothes shopping just for a treat and couldn't BELIEVE the clothes "they" are showing for 7 year olds! I see the middle school kids and the boys look like unplucked chickens and the girls look 20.

Sometimes I'm glad I have dogs and they wear what I tell them to wear - :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 14, 2008, 03:18 PM
    LOL! Hi Judy! Do you know that they are now selling thong underwear for little girls? I mean pre-school!! Now how much more insane can you get than that? And parents are buying them! What the hell is wrong with this picture?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Which one is more important?b2b or b2c? [ 3 Answers ]

Which one is more important ; B2B Marketing or B2C Marketing?

Why is SEX so important to us all if. [ 8 Answers ]

Why is SEX so important to us all if it takes up sooooo little of our total time?? For example - the experts tell us that people in a "healthy" married relationship should have sex 2 or 3 times per week on average (personally - I think it is more like 1 or 2 after being married for 7 years or...

Even though its not too important [ 2 Answers ]

Omgggg! I have nothing to do what so ever, all my friends are busy today... and I can't think of anything to do, I'm not having fun online... and I don't know what to do. I mean I love to write, draw and read but I don't feel like doing any of those things... sooo... my problem is, I'm bored. Give...

Is Sex Really that Important [ 7 Answers ]

Long story short version. Been with my boyfriend for a year, we're in love and live together. He bought me a beautiful promise ring for our anniversary. Pretty average sex life except that I practically have to for it. I'm not even able to get him in the mood. There's nowhere I can touch him,...

Which is more important? [ 1 Answers ]

The city I live in is having a huge ice storm. The driving conditions are horrible and there are several thousands of people without electricity because of the ice. My fiancé works at a retail store. I asked him to call in because I didn't want him on the road and the news was advising people to...

View more questions Search