Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 01:53 AM
    Worms getting out of the body
    Don't know if that is the right topic... I hope that's the one, so here goes my question.

I've often heard that if someone has worms in his/her body (may be digestive system, which is more likely) these worms got out through the nose (sometimes even the ear:eek:)if he/she is given medicine for worms during a night of full moon. If that is correct, is there any reason for this.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 4, 2008, 03:23 AM
    Hello Jerry !

Worms in your body are in the digestive system, and can only come out the same way as the remains of your food and whatever else your body is discarding other than by urinating.
    Any other exists taken by worms are Unknown to me. :)

Note 1 : Worms coming out by nose or ear should eat their way out, so make holes in skin or tissue.
    Note 1 : But that is never seen. At least not by worms. Some maggets do that.

Note 2 : The location of the moon at night has no influence what-so-ever on that process.
    Note 2 : But it provides a nice script for horror movies.

:D

How's the weather there in Port Louis?
    I can imagine why you asked this question, as in the tropics and sub-tropics there are so many problems with worms.
    I was all these years in the tropics worried for my children that they would pick-up worms .

:)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Many worms, such as tapeworms and pin worms, always live in the digestive tract and can only come out the same way as the feces. However, there are other worms that can live elsewhere in the body. For example the worms that cause trichinosis bore through the intestinal wall to enter the blood stream and then muscles (but not ears). The kidney worm infects the liver, kidney, or ovaries--in minks, dogs, and humans.
    Trematode worms, or flukes, can infest the lungs, heart, brain or skin. A lot of these parasitic worms can enter the body through the mouth or nose. But they do not normally come OUT the nose, and certainly not the ear--which has no hole to the outside.

All of these are worms. In addition, there are various other parasites such as botlfy larvae (a kind of maggot) that can invade the body. As Cred says, these generally bore a hole out of the body. I can barely imagine some kind of brain parasite boring out through the ears, but I have searched the web and can't find anything like that. I'd say it's very unlikely.

You can watch a bunch of biologists taking botflies out of a guy who picked them up in Panama here, plus info about botflies. Human Botfly, Bot Fly, Botflies, Torsalo, Dermatobia hominis

Agree with Credendovidis that the phase of the Moon has nothing to do with whether any medicine will work.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 08:46 AM
    A few cases of botfly larvae in the eyes. Yuck. Extremely rare, found in sheep farmers in southern iran.

EXTERNAL OPHTHALMOMYIASIS CAUSED BY SHEEP BOTFLY ( OESTRUS OVIS ) LARVA: A REPORT OF 8 CASES
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Or through the foot! Ow ow ow ow!

Image not for the squeamish:

Guinea Worm
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Ugh! I may put breakfast off for another hour now.:)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 09:56 AM
    I have heard of the other worms, in documentaries of Africa where they (the native tribes) have to (or had) drink 'dirty' water, that get out from the foot. I asked that because a little friend of mine recently had a puppy. Her mommy decided to give it medicine for worms, just in case. Soon, my friend discovered that her pup had worms, they were creeping all over its basket, yuck! I let you imagine hershock and her cries (btw, she's nine)!!

Well, that cause the conversation of her mom and mine to go to there, that is, that once, she (my friend's mom) gave medocs to her child (some years ago) on a full moon day, and surprisingly, worms got out of her nose. Moreover, my friend's grandma always discouraged giving such medicines during full moon nights.

Anyway, if other info come, post 'em and thank you all for your replies.
    Cred, here it's fine, though summer is coming and it's getting really hot. Worms are all about pets!
    Liasdaughter Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Dec 7, 2008, 12:46 AM
    Schistosomiasis (Bilharzia) evidently can enter the body through the skin, or the mouth if you're unfortunate enough to drink the contaminated fresh water they are wainting in.

They, however, exit via the usual way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog with worms [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has scooted across the floor and there are two dried up black worms. What are these and what should I do?

The worms turn, but that [ 6 Answers ]

“As Super Tuesday looms - and the possibility that McCain could all but wrap up the nomination - the chattering conservative class is in an uproar. Talk show host Rush Limbaugh has warned that McCain as standard-bearer would destroy the Republican Party. Author and pundit Ann Coulter, in...

Web worms (bag worms) everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

My neighbor's tree is full of web worms, I think they are also called bag worms. These fuzzy little worms, they're caterpillars really, drop onto my deck and are eating everything in sight. They don't make the web-like encasements, but they are killing my potted plants; mandevilla, vinca, mint,...

Worms [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My daughter needs to know if worms are reptiles. I have no clue, so if anyone could shed some light on the subject, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time. :)

Worms [ 3 Answers ]

This is my first dog... I let her out her cage tonight and when she pooped, her poop had worms in it... where did it come from and I don't know I'm just grossed out... im taking her to the vet tomorrow... help!do anyone have any information?

View more questions Search