Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superkid778 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2006, 06:54 PM
    New year, new problem with MTD tractor
    When I last parked my 2002 MTD tractor (16.5 hp I/C Briggs), it was fine. I winterized it and kept it covered until this spring. Now it will not start for anything. It has a new starter, battery, solenoid, and coil. The carb was also rebuilt. I only put a few hours on it last summer after the new parts. Now, when I try to start it, I get nothing. What do I need to check? I figure it is just something simple, but I do not know where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Chris
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2006, 07:31 PM
    Things to check are fuel and spark. Make sure the fuel is getting to the carb from the tank... then move on to checking spark (grounding it to the head works OK) got spark and fuel? Then try a little gas down the carb and see if it'll fire or not, if it fires off that, possibility of trash in the carb (or if you have a fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb, that's not working). Remember if you don't get spark, things to check are pinched or grounded wires, bad kill switch, blown fuse or loose connections. Try it without the kill wire to the coil, this leaves out all the safety switchs (if it starts, pull the plug wire off to kill it)

May 5, 2006, 09:20 AM
    The fuse is good. I tried disconnecting the kill wire with no luck. I get nothing when I turn the key, like the starter is not getting any power. What would cause this, how can I test it with a voltmeter, and where is the actual kill switch located?? Thanks again!
    Chris
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 07:19 PM
    So the starter isn't turning the engine over? Then go over your battery connections... are they clean and tight? is the battery charged up.. Kill switches are all over it, seat, deck, and clutch.

May 7, 2006, 03:39 PM
    I asked the man I got the mower from and he told me that he had a history of problems with the clutch. Is there a kill switch for the clutch and where is it located? The battery is clean and charged. The fuse is good. The solenoid is brand new. I have a good feeling that it is just an electrical problem, but I need help with the diagnostics. Thanks again!
    Chris
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2006, 03:45 PM
    There are switchs to keep you from starting it in gear (you must depress the clutch brake if it has one as well) there's the deck switch to keep you from starting it with the blades engaged and then the seat switch, so you can only start it with someone on it, and it will only stay running if you are on it.

May 10, 2006, 01:27 PM
    I played with the blade safety switch and got the engine to turn over. Problem is that I took my good battery out to use on G-Ma's mower because her battery was dead. So when the engine spun, the other battery died and will not charge. I swap them back out and hopefully be riding the yard soon as this monsoon stops. Thanks again!
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2006, 05:10 PM
    No problem. Btw, when you covered it, make sure to let the tarp vent, I'd keep the front grill uncovered so the condensation will pass, a board or something leaned at the front just as a added measure against rain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD lawn tractor starter problem [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a MTD lawn tractor 12.5 briggs have the same problem that was posted earlier. I did jump start it and the starter works. I changed the switch and solenoid. The switch will kill the engine. When I turn it to start it will not engage the starter. If I jump across solenoid which is under the...

Mtd tractor [ 2 Answers ]

After running for a while, when I stop it doesn't want to start back up?

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search