Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Sep 3, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Why is every one so hell bent on hating the government?
    Ok, so I've noticed that a lot of people are hell bent on hating the government, blaming it for the stupidest things. I realise the gas and all else is going up in price but, even if they are being thiefs, with out it, we'd be in a world of trouble.

Please if you have anything to add tell me what you think the government is up to or if its useless or what ever...
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Gas prices are down down a little here.

Placing blame doesn't really help anyone, I do the best with what I have and can't change.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Watter pa?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 08:52 AM
    As a retired government employee, I see it from both sides and I basically have a dislike for the government, especially in the way it handles contracts and employees. It is easy to spend money when it is not your own. Outrageous prices are approved to avoid claims and lawsuits.
    Employees are promoted because they have been around for a long time, if there is no position available for them to be promoted into, a new position is created. Many now receive bonuses for just doing the job they were hired to do. It takes an act of congress for problem employees to be fired. A ridiculous amount of leave is provided for employees. Some have award ceremonies for their employees every year that take a whole day for picnics, softball, and handing out the Employee of the Year awards. It gets to the point that if you live long enough you'll be Employee of the Year award.
    I enjoyed my career and the challenges, and there are some very dedicated, capable employees in all agencies, but the waste is overwhelming and the lack of any desire to work efficiently is normal operating procedure. But, on the other hand, I worked in transportation (roads) dept. and we had both state employees and contractor personnel, and when the chips were down, the state crews arrived first and put things back together the fastest. The question is: Is the public willing to pay for those people and services being available 24/7? I am not unbiased but I guess I am. Knowing where to trim the fat is the trick, but the most ambitious reformer politicians can't get through the red tape and bureacracy because of self-preservation. If you take away some of my employees I might be demoted so I lay it on when I have to justify positions, conversely if I can get more employees I might get promoted. The newest trend is toll roads coming to a roadway near you!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Hello N:

I don't know who you are addressing. I don't "hate" the government. I reserve hate for my enemies.

I AM, however, a serious critic of government. Why, you ask? Because I believe in what the founding fathers had in mind for us, and we're not there yet. No, I'm not going to sit back and wait till we are. Until then, I'll be on the front lines, criticizing my government.

Do I blame them for everything, like my acne?? No. But, I can differentiate between those things that ARE their problem, and those that aren't.

Gas prices?? Certainly, it's the government who is responsible. Why, you ask?? I'll tell you. Way back in 1973, we had an "oil crisis". There were lines at the pumps. The price didn't jump, but the supply dried up. We knew then that we needed to do something to get us off foreign oil...

But, pretty soon oil began flowing again, and the "need" to do something went away. Ok, it DIDN'T go away. The leaders of government simply IGNORED it. Had they provided the leadership that was necessary THEN, we wouldn't be in the huge hole we're in now.

What specifically, could they have done, you ask? They could have offered incentives to industry to develop green, clean and alternative energy sources and modes of transportation. They could have taxed the oil industry instead of giving them subsidies, WHICH WE'RE STILL DOING!

There's a great deal MORE that government COULD have done and SHOULD have done. If they WOULD have done it then, we wouldn't be involved in TWO wars today, and we wouldn't be sending ALL our money to the ARABS, WHICH WE'RE STILL DOING! As a BONUS, 9/11 wouldn't have happened!

Has government learned its lesson?? Nope! So, I'm going to keep on reminding them how BAD they are.

excon
    cajoler Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Sep 11, 2008, 01:07 PM
    I love this country.. It's the government I despise and the sheeple who are brainwashed by the mass media to lock step and seig heil at every ridiculous law that is passed daily. The troops who don't question authority and kill innocent civilians and don't have a problem with the killing or being cannon fodder. What a waste of life. The old men who gleefully send them to their deaths . Our flag means nothing. Flags were originally used to let archers know which way the wind was blowing so they could aim better. It is easy to see which way the wind is blowing these days. We have police who act like they are in the military and are trained to disregard the 4th amendment if it suits them. They used to be peace officers and were there to keep the peace and now they are law enforcement officers, they don't care about peace, they are only there to enforce more and unpopular laws. Where to start with the corporations and their vile practices. We have news shows that only spew out opinion not fact and what little they say is always slanted.We have the right wing religious fanatics trying to be in office like that ridiculous Sarah Palin who would happily pass a law to force your daughter to have the baby if she'd been raped. Isn't that special. Or McCain (Bush lite) who would keep the war going for decades. Hey how about the prisons that have more people in them than any other country on the face of the earth, most for non violent crimes. And now we are building our own Iron curtain , sure for now they say it is going to be used for keeping people out.. but how long before it will be used to keep us all in? I have only touched the surface of what this rotten government does and stands for. We stick our nose everywhere in every nations business like it is our right and then act indignant when chastised. Our bullying greedy arrogant foreign polices caused 9/11. I am waiting for the days when all the war freaks die off and leave the rest of us peaceful people alone. It can't come soon enough.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Sep 16, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Ok, good points people, I agree. With all of you. From The bureaucracy to the unstable abilities of government to maintain order, to the whole ignorance of it all. However, I'd like to point out (I'm a Canadian. Basically North American.) that we are the voice, but not enough of us are rallied together to change the social out come. If you don't like things and other people don't like those same things, and if there is enough of you who are aware of this, then perhaps you, them, and I should STOP complaining, and Waiting for the answers, and start to pull together and work toward something more agreable.

Personally, I think that there needs to be less ambition to achieve higher social standing, and pay, and more acceptance of what we are here to do, and our roles as individuals in this society and ultimately the world. Honestly I have not got any evidence but basic common sense, that if political leaders were moreinterested in the welfare of their people, and not "hell bent" on persuading people to their side, or acuiring control for personal gain. Then maybe we could put aside the idea that there is a RIGHT or WRONG, and simply accept that there is not but possibilities. And with possibilities comes the realisation that there is also plossabilities.

Any one understand what I mean by that, let go of the lables of "RIGHT" or "WRONG", because you can argue all you want but you'll never change my mind on the laws of drinking and driving. But Lets say that there is an event that requires a person, who is some what stable but over the 0.08 percent of blood/ach limit, to drive to save a life. DO we wave it, or not? Controversy, Let some one die, or run the risk of others dying. The logical (if only too cold hearted.) should be to let the one die, and perserve the possibilities of lives to be saved.

For example sooo many people say, no to abortion, yet they don't send mony to those who are rapped and forced to have babies. Instead they call them killers and Much worse. DO they know, no they do not. Even if it was a teeneager who simply wasn't ready for a child was going in, is it Right for a child of 14-16 to have a child? Sure they made the choice to have sexual intercourse, but they did not know they'd get pregnant. Much the same as some one getting into a car doesn't know if they'll get hit by a Semi; or a women goes out for an evening strole and she doesn't know she'll be kidnpped or worse. Yes yes, all based on generalizations, and "what if's" and no real solid evidence, but life isn't always predictable. It's just as much likely that we are to see a spaceship out our window as we are to see a car, only past experience has shown us other wise.

No, please tell me if you disagree.
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 11:19 PM

What government? Canadian or American government?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 01:06 AM

I love the Australian govenerment... MMmmmmm stimulus money
    *rubs hands together*
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 04:47 PM

I always say, "They sit at their $250. lunch plates discussing how us average Americans can live on $250. per week".
    Well that sums my aggravation with the government in one sentence.
    They do not live in the real world but they think they know what is best for us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My first offender's pardon [ 3 Answers ]

Two years ago I plead guilty in order to receive deferred adjudication and would'nt be charged with the felony. Upon completion I received a First offender's Pardon, but the felony is evidently still on my record as told by employers. Why is this?

How to change language in 'Regional and Language Options' without restarting? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! On windows I have to work on 3 languages, Japanese, English and Thai. Some programs I use don't work on Thai-English windows, so I have to switch the window language to Japanese-English in 'Regional and Language Options' and it restart every time. There's any ways to set window...

When an ex starts hating you. [ 4 Answers ]

Hey. So I've already been here talking about my breakup and how it ended up (Gf of 5 years moved on about a month after we broke up... tried to get her back and it failed). Anyway, what's going on now is a bit... weird. I can't quite understand it, maybe anyone here has some ideas. So we broke...

Don't know how to fix Daughter hating me [ 2 Answers ]

This is going to be hard to keep short because this issue stems all the way from 1992 when my wife and I divorced. I was never able to establish a good father & daughter relationship because my ex-wife decided she never wanted me to see my daughter nor have a relationship with her. Through the...

First language literacy and second language litera [ 1 Answers ]

What are the differences between first language literacy and second language literacy?

View more questions Search