Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    masterchief1752 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Hosting computer games with Symantec Endpoint
    I have Symantec Endpoint Antivirus software on my computer. I play starcraft on here and have been playing fine for a few years. My problem is hosting games on it. I have had a wireless connection for the past 3 years and I know how to open the specific ports, 6112, to let my host games. I recently went to college where I had to install symantec and am running with an ethernet cord now. I figured id have no problem hosting, but I can't for some reason, and have no figured a way around it. Windows firewall is turned off, but Symantec's firewall is on and I haven't gotten around it. If anyone has any answers, thank you in advance
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 04:07 PM
    I don't have access to an Endpoint installation to give you a configuration walkthrough, but the general gist is that Endpoint's firewall needs to have rules configured that allow traffic from the local subnet or anywhere to the port your game is running on. If you are trying to host to folks on the Internet (risky) as opposed to a roommate or other students that may be on the local network segment, the College is probably blocking these ports on their Internet gateway firewall. I'd try getting your computer configured correctly first locally by having a buddy hook his computer up to the same switch you are connected to, configuring a local LAN, and trying a LAN game. If a local LAN game works, Endpoint is probably configured correctly and you can reconfigure IP settings and plug back into the campus network and go from there. You may need to contact campus IT services for assistance for across campus or Internet games.

I haven't played Starcraft in awhile, but I also seem to recall it or another game from that era (Diablo?) required IPX/SPX protocol instead of TCP/IP. The College's network may also not support that.
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 07:33 AM

Tunnel through hamachi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer games [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I didn't know what heading to put this question under so sorry. Anyway I just wanted to ask I have loads of computer games that I would like to play like zoo tycoon and sims 2 and things. The problem is when I install them the computer goes really slooooooooooow!! PLEASE HELP I Want to PLAY...

Computer games with ants or bees [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any computer strategy games that involve an Ant colony or bee hive, where you have to defend the colony, bring food and insure offspring etc..

Some good Computer Games [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone,:) . Tell me any good computer games that can be supported by my PC My Pc is an old one (1999):( and has the following features: 700 Mhz processor; 192 MB RAM; 4MB Video Card I don't want to buy a new PC now so . Tell me the games that can run on my PC. I have played many games...

HELP! Symantec Antivirus 10 CHANGES User's Documents link in My Computer [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 Client on my computer and noticed something strange. In "My Computer" there are all the partitions and two Documents folders: Shared Documents and PIRATA!'s Documents (in my case my user is called PIRATA!) If you double click on it you will see...

Web Hosting computer business [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have some questions on what line to put expenses for schedule C: I have a web hosting business where I lease a server (monthly fee) and resell space to my customers. 1. Does the monthly server cost go into COGS or Other expenses? Sometimes I fix peoples computers and need to buy...

View more questions Search