Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Britalian Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 05:39 PM
    How much $ does it cost to build an M-16?
    Was recently watching a show about GI's on patrol in Iraq; their M-16's look very different than the ones their grand-dads carried in Vietnam. Does anyone know how much it costs to manufacture a standard-issue M-16 rifle (per unit)
    Thanks!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 3, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Hello Britalian

The cost to buy one standard-issue M-16 rifle is around US$ 300,00.
    The actual cost to manufacture one will be less than US$ 100.00.
    Please realize that there are many different sub-models of the M-16 rifle.

:>)

STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
    And the likely reason that the "M16s" looked different is that the M4 is being issued more and more lately... it's a compact version of the M16.
    armyguy98c10 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 08:20 AM

Either way. M16 or M4, they are both usless weapons. I have been in the Army for 6 years. The Army is currently taking bids on a new Carbine weapon which be similar to an AK47 in the fact it will fire even after being buried in the mud.
    alexsullivan Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jul 24, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STG View Post
    And the likely reason that the "M16s" looked different is that the M4 is being issued more and more lately...it's a compact version of the M16.
    Actually the M4 is just an M16A2 they just re-named it
    airborneranger7 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsullivan View Post
    actually the M4 is just an M16A2 they just re-named it
    Hey just curious... do you know the differences between an M4 and an M16? Any M16? An M4 has a shorter barrel. Also standard M4s now have a retractable buttstock, rail systems mounted, and a forward vertical grip.

Moving on to the original question, at the start and through most of the Vietnam War the M16A1 rifle was in effect. However, the weapon overheated a lot. They then switched to the M16A2 rifle which is what they now train with in Basic Combat Training for the Army. They stick with that rifle for Basic Training because of how easy it is to train with it. As for the modern war, the most effective one they have now is the M4 versus the enemy however news is coming out that the DOD is seriously looking at new weapons geared towards urban warfare.
    read_it_right Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 08:34 PM
    Armyguy, throughout 24 years in the army, my M-16, followed by my M-16 A-2, never failed me. I found them to be very effective weapons.

alexsullivan, they didn't "just" rename it. M-4 is the abbreviated name for "M-16 A-4".

What was used in Viet-Nam was the M-16. The biggest difference between the M-16 and the M-16 A-2 is the M-16 can be full automatic, whereas the M-16 A-2 can only go to three round bursts. The rear sight is configured differently, and the front sight is slightly different. Also, the forestock had been changed.
    read_it_right Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 08:46 PM
    armyguy98c10 is correct in that the army is looking at other weapons. The military never stops looking. One of the weapons that the military os looking at is the H&K version of the M-16. I cannot recall the nomenclature right now, but it is basically the same wepon. The only significant change to the platform is that the gas tube is replaced by a piston, thereby decreasing the heat and carbon buildup on the bolt carrier. Sometimes a small change can make a big difference.
    Ryan62686 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Buying flat out a new M16 A4 or a M4 will cost you a little more than $1,000. Building them yourself (depending on how much build you do yourself and where you buy the parts) can save you 3-500 dollars. If you're patient and shop at gun shows, swaps, auctions etc. can save you a bundle. Also if you're building buying an assembled lower receiver for example will save off a fully assembled rifle but be more expensive than if you built the receiver yourself, if you get my meaning. As far as differences between the m16 and m4, the m4 is more or less the same rifle with a shorter barrel to allow for more agility in general but most specifically entering and exiting cramped humvees and personnel carriers. Its effective range is slightly shorter but with good marskmanship skills this can be remedied by experience with the rifle, ultimately however the m16 will provide easier accuracy at 600 meters+. An interesting note however is the m16 was designed as a competition rifle with its rear sight aperture and front sight post, only until recently has this been eliminated for combat optics (i.e. acog/RCO) and a quad rail system on the A4, a newer version is set for the next couple of years. In the mean time the Army has been delving into the SCAR and ACR, last I heard the SCAR will be both a standard issue rifle as well as used as a modified LMG in the years to come (probably a decade, it has already been employed with some spec ops units as an experimental rifle with rave reviews). Other than combat related specs, the m16A4 is a great AR and more fun to shoot at a range than most rifles and pistols, not to mention the ammunition is fairly cheap. As far as a protection rifle (though most for home protection opt for a shotgun or .45 pistol) .556 ammunition (the m16's standard issue ammo) has a high enough velocity to destroy targets at all ranges, low recoil for fast fire, and upon entering a flesh target has a tendency to ricochet around bone matter and/or break apart into a sort of shrapnel within the target causing fast and vast amounts of biological damage. A grim example would be a common round fired into the chest or head would result in 3-10 fragments of lead bouncing around within the target after impact severely lacerating everything within 6-12 inches of impact. Which depending on your point of view is much more lethal in the hands of a trained individual than say someone using an AK .762 round.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost to build a ski lift [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what it costs to build a ski resort-- at least the skiing part?

Why are cost per output and cost per outcome valuable to a human services agency [ 2 Answers ]

Why are cost per output and cost per outcome valuable to a human services agency

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

Cost To Build, per square foot. [ 1 Answers ]

A customer has asked me how much I am going to charge her to build her house, per square foot. Can anyone help this "new" general contractor determine a fair price? Thanks PROMAC:confused:

View more questions Search