Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jsmith1134 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Landlord will not Clean mold or replace mold covered cabinate in a timely Manner
    We have Mold in our rented house! We had a pipe break under our kitchen sink and the landlord came and fixed that about a month ago, and said he would be back to fix the cabinate under the sink. Well it is now COVERED in mold and its even growing in the drawers. We called and he came and "cleaned" the mold, (its everywhere, so its not cleaned) but he said we is going on vacation next week and won't be home until the end of Sept. and he will fix it then,
    Is there anything we can do to speed this process up? He was very mean and doesn't care that we cannot use our kitchen. I know that its black mold and I have taken pictures and video of our problem, b.c he said he wasn't going to fix it at first. But its pretty bad so he decided he should do something about it.
    SOMEONE HELP US!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Send him a letter via overnight mail, stating that the mold creates a health hazard and makes the apartment uninhabitable. That if the place is not cleaned immediately you will be contacting the health department. You will also be withholding your rent and placing it in an escrow account. If necessary, you will have the house cleaned and apply your rent towards the cost.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 05:18 PM
    You know I guess I have to wonder, if it needs to be wiped down with bleach and cleaned, does not the tenant have any responsibility to help keep their own apartment clean.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    you know I guess I have to wonder, if it needs to be wiped down with bleach and cleaned, does not the tennant have any responsiblity to help keep thier own apartment clean.
    If the source of the mold is an improperly repaired leak, that would be the landlord's responsibility.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 06:16 PM
    I just read into it, that he fixed it, but the water lead prior to fixing it was the cause of the area being damp, thus the mold.

Ok, tell me, if you had a cabinet area ( did not say it was anywhere else) would you be taking pictues or merely cleaning it up and getting it out of the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think mold is growing and the landlord won't do nothing what should I do? [ 6 Answers ]

Sorry but I'm new to this asking people for help. But I really need some help. Me, my boyfriend, our almost 14 month old son and our dog live in this apartment. About the time when I was almost 8 months pregnant with our son our celing began too leak. We informed the landlord about it and he said...

Mold on a few Xmas decorations, okay to clean and still use? [ 3 Answers ]

I got out all my Christmas decorations last night from the basement. I opened one tote and smelled an awful smell... come to find out 2 wooden decorations in the tote had mold on them. The wood is finished on these decorations. My questions is, I have cleaned these decorations with hot...

Mold [ 6 Answers ]

Hello my basement is unfished... last year we decided to put up blue stryaphone isolation over concrete walls... I am worried about mold because it is in a basement of an old farm house... if mold should grow behind the 1 inch blue styraphone is there anyway to know... thank you

Landlord is slow to act on known mold/ground water issue [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord is slow to act on issues in the house. So much so, I stopped calling for minor repairs, which I do myself, and only ask for resolution to the one serious issue. The ground is low around the house and we get ground water coming in from the seam between the basement door and the outside...

View more questions Search