Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wccs8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Drains backing up and Water on Basement floor
    Hi, Just bought a house 2 1/2 months ago for the first time and have had nothing but problems with Plumbing. When the washer rinses, water backs up in toilets, shower, sink in 1st floor bathroom in which the washer is located, The kitchen sink also backs up.
    The 2nd floor toilet and sink are fine, but I do notice a bubbling sound in downstairs toilet when upstairs is flushed. We also have water all over the basement floor, soapy and such from the washer and the other night when my daughter and I were doing crafts with dye colors I noticed when I rinsed the dye down the kitchen drain, it ended up on the basement floor. And when we take showers, the toilet bubbles.
    I am hoping to fix the issue myself, being on a tight budget. Please, any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Jenn
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2008, 04:26 PM
    OK John,
    Time to rent a sewer machine,(see image) and snake those drains. This machine will be used to clear the basement back-ups. Look at the stack coming down from the first floor bath. If there's a cleanout on the stack you can snake from there. If not then your options would be to pull the basement toilet, if you have one , or snake from the roof vent that services the bathroom. If you come down from the roof put out enough cable to reach the base and 20 feet more. You will need a smaller hand snake for the kitchen sink. When you complete the bathroom click on back and I'll walk you through doing the kitchen sink. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Tom covered it. When he said smaller snake for the kitchen he means way smaller, 1/4" if you want to get past that 90 elbow 8" into the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement floor drain backing with clean water [ 11 Answers ]

Hey I have basement floor drain that has water coming out of it and staying on the basement floor. The water then slowly went back down into the drain (this took all day), and now it started to very slowly come back up again(this evening). I do have a sump/ejection pump in the basement in the same...

Basement floor drains [ 1 Answers ]

I notice the other day that our basement floor has 3 or 4 eight inch square holes in the floor. Most have some type of drainage pipe running through that has been cut (3 or 4 inch cast iron). How can I plug these up? We want to remodel the basement and these holes are in the middle of the floor. ...

Water backing up in all drains [ 7 Answers ]

When you flush the toilet the sink gurgles. When I do laundry there are soap bubbles in the toilet. My kitchen sink when you drain one side the other fills up. Hubby checked the "cleanout pipe" outside and said it was full of water. He tried to run a snake through it and the snake is stuck. (which...

Basement floor drain backing up [ 6 Answers ]

All... I purchased my two family flat about three years ago and at that time had no plumbing issues. About six months back I bought a new clothes washer and all of the sudden the drain couldn't handle the water coming from the washer. Since the connection was basically a direct connection (flex...

Basement Floor Drain Backing up [ 1 Answers ]

My basement floor drain is backed up and there is an awful sewer smell. I've done some research on this forum and it appears the drain needs to be snaked. Now, should I buy a manual snake from the local hardware store or should I rent the electric version? I'm leaning toward buying the manual...

View more questions Search