Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

May 4, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Sign of someone being Satanic??
    Okay, this is kind of a weird question, but an interesting one. My family on my Dad’s side are Catholics (my Italian side of the family) and I used to frequently attend the catholic church when I was younger and once in a while I still go (although I am Methodist) and there is an older man that goes, he has been going to this particular church since I can remember, and Every time we pray, he makes a motion with his hands, almost like he is dusting them off, like rubbing them together as if they are dusty. He looks around too as he is doing this. The only reason I noticed this is because when I was little I used to peak when everyone was supposed to bow their heads to pray, and I saw him do it, and now, I can’t help but look for this man every time I go to the church to see if he does it, and he does! Something about this man gives me the creeps, he stares at you as if he is looking right through to your soul. Someone told me this is a Satanic ritual and that some people that practice Satanism pretend to be Catholic in the publics eye to cover up what they really are. I know this is probably a weird question, but if anyone can shed light on this subject, I would appreciate it. Oh I almost forgot, and he has George W. Bush stickers ALL over his bumper (hehe) :) !
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 4, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    Oh I almost forgot, and he has George W. Bush stickers ALL over his bumper (hehe) :) !
    Damn you, you made me laugh out loud in my office. :D Well done!

May 4, 2006, 11:29 AM
    HeHe, I know, I just couldn't resist throwing that last part in due to the other thread about Bush possibly being the anti-christ.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 4, 2006, 11:29 AM
    I wouldn't think Satanic. I'd think instead that he's just a nervous or odd fellow.

On the other hand, there are various physical movements involved with some peoples prayer life. I've seen these "movements" vary from rocking back and forth, to a shaking of the head, etc... could be something like that, too.

Definitely not Satanic, though. I don't think Satanists are typically going to a Christian Church to hide their real beliefs.

May 4, 2006, 01:01 PM
    Is there any such thing as "Satanic Churches" anymore, or were there ever anything like these? Honestly this whole subject gives me the creeps, but when I was younger in my teenage years, I went to a seminar for teens and they had a young woman speaker and she said she grew up in a "satanic" family, 3 generations of it, and they were catholic as a cover up to "look good" to the community. She was sexually abused and had multiple personalities, they even played a tape where her voice actually completely changed completely to different personalities. I think this seminar I went to scarred me for life. I couldn't sleep at night for like a year afterwards!
    love and be loved Posts: 34, Reputation: -2

May 4, 2006, 01:15 PM
    I know this is going to sound relly dumb but what is a satanic
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 4, 2006, 01:19 PM
    Yes. Here's some info on the Church of Satan.

I'm sure that there are others outside of the CoS that "worships Satan", but my guess is that 99% of anyone claiming to worship Satan would have some affiliation with the CoS.

Nowaday they're proud of themselves, so I doubt they'd go to the length of going to a Christian Church to cover-up.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

May 4, 2006, 01:29 PM
    To answer your last question, yes I believe there are Satanic churches. Matter of fact the "leader" is called a High Priest and there was/is in Chicago which was lead by Anton Szandor LaVey's (1930-1997). Here is a link of it all:

THE CHURCH OF SATAN

To answer your other question about the odd man. I agree with Rick that he probably isn't, although we don't know his heart. Also, I don't think he would be going to Christian churches unless he was there to make a scene or interfere with the service.

I was in a situation one time with the one church I was going to that this guy used to always get upset during service and make loud noises. One day during a sermon (the Pastor was on vacation) he got really upset and yelled out "I had enough of this" and stormed out.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

May 4, 2006, 01:33 PM
    Ok, so Rick and I are on the same page. It just took me 10 minutes to type it all up. To answer love and be loved. It is not really dumb to ask a question. A Satanist is one who follows Satan. I guess it would be as simple as that. Someone else may have a more detailed explanation.
    love and be loved Posts: 34, Reputation: -2

May 4, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Thank you, you have been very help full :-)
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

May 4, 2006, 08:06 PM
    To be honest I have a few satanic friends and they are quite uncreepy people. They are just like the rest of us who worship a God or Gods. Being satanic doesnt automaticly make you Morticia Adams or Edward Scissorhands like. It just means you worship a diety called Lucifer and possibly subdieties like Satan, and the rest of the minions.
    What peaks my radar is that possibly you are picking up on something truly dark on his soul like he is possibly a child molestor, has commited an evil crime or some other blemish on his soul. Often people get gut feelings of "evil" and the mind will try to fill in the blanks. Since you attended this seminar your ultimate "EVIL" in your mind is satanism so it is usual that you would associate your creeps from this guy with your mega fear.
    Next time you see this person try making no judgements and fill yourself with the God you worships love and white light. Then feel this guys presence. Maybe you will get a clearer picture. Try not to associate anything like satanism, etc with him. Let the feelings imprint upon you.

Hypatia
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 4, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Okay,....he makes a motion with his hands, almost like he is dusting them off, like rubbing them together as if they are dusty. He looks around too as he is doing this. ....he stares at you as if he is looking right through to your soul. Someone told me this is a Satanic ritual and that some people that practice Satanism pretend to be Catholic in the publics eye to cover up what they really are....
    Membership in a Satanic cult, demonic possession, nervous disorder, emotional instability or merely prone to have ticks, or maybe sincerely convinced that his antics are necessary for prayer are all possibilities. Actually, the man might be perfectly OK. Yet I don't blame you for feeling uneasy since his behavior doesn't quite fall in line with what we generally consider proper both sociologically and from a Christian standpoint. Staring intently without saying anything is rude and is something which predators do in the wild in preparation to attack. Looking around and rubbing hands while everyone else is respectfully praying also comes across as scheming. Have you considered asking him about this? Have you ever told your pastor? I am assuming the man isn't your pastor of course. : )

BTW

I had a similar experience with my aunt on my father's side when I was a child.
    She was in the habit of losing total control of her body dropping to the floor and rolling back and forth. Then she'd come to a stop, and address others with her voice changed. She'd claim to be Jesus speaking. Naturally, since she was talking to me while sweating
    Profusely and trembling from head to foot I instinctively bolted for the exit.

In any case, I was later threatened with damnation until I agreed to attend her church. The problem was that as soon as I got there people started gradually losing control, began making guttural unintelligible sounds and began dropping and rolling all around me which led me to suspect that my aunt had cunningly led me into a trap. I seriously considered bolting for the exit but was too scared to run since I imagined them all following me into the darkness outside, catching me and who knows what. So I just suffered through the whole experience and never went back.

May 5, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Wow starman, that sounds creepy! I am glad you made it through unscathed!
    -

May 5, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Wow starman, that sounds creepy! I am glad you made it through unscathed!
    Hi Cgirl!

It was definitely a traumatic experience which I have never forgotten.
    Young as I was I just couldn't accept the kind of antics those individuals were going through as a manifestation of something good. Obviously they thought differently. Maybe because they were raised in households where that was considered a manifestation of God's hoy spirit. To me of course, it looked like demonic possession which explains my tendency to bolt for the nearest exit.

BTW
    My aunt also had the disconcerting habit of interrupting a conversation by slamming a fist on a table and yelling "barcay!" This she also attributed to the holy spirit but it always unnerved me and put me on a semi-bolting mode. LOL

May 5, 2006, 08:22 AM
    Jeese! She sounds very intimidating. I too have witnessed people acting this way, claiming to be filled with the holy spirit, and it definitely made me uncomfortable. I just decided to myself that everyone has a different way of worshipping God, I have mine and they have theirs. I am Methodist, which is very traditional and different than a pentacostal church or fundamentalist church, but this is just what I feel comfortable with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2006, 08:38 AM
    First let me say that many people who believe in Satan worship, witchcraft, black magic, can be anyone, the person making your BigMac, the police officer on the street, your sons 3rd grade math teacher Just anyone. They don't stand out normally. Some of course take it to extreme and are fairly obvious, ( a tattoo of a upside down cross on their arm.

But because of society many keep it quiet.

Very few go to church, since they don't believe in christianity. But could go to family events with them.

Most likely this person is nervious, feels like everyone is against him or some other light mental health issue.

The situtation Starman described sounds more like a demonic possession, not even common within satan worship but does happen at times.
    -

May 5, 2006, 08:48 AM
    Jeese! She sounds very intimidating. I too have witnessed people acting this way, claiming to be filled with the holy spirit, and it definately made me uncomfortable. I just decided to myself that everyone has a different way of worshipping God, I have mine and they have theirs. I am Methodist, which is very traditional and different than a pentacostal church or fundamentalist church, but this is just what I feel comfortable with.

Well, from my vantage point she was intimidating. From their vantage point she had the gift of holy spirit and her utterings were the gift of tongues. I agree with you that everyone is entitled in reaching an understanding to the best of their ability. Neither am I in any way reaching conclusions about her status before God or her eternal destiny based on her present understanding. Nevertheless, those who spoke in tongues when they received Holy spirit were speaking for the purpose of helping others comprehend the good news concerning salvation. They were not simply uttering unintelligible sounds.
    Neither does the Bible tell us that the apostles dropped to the floor writhing and
    Sweating that way. So based on this I am forced to conclude that this way of worship though sincere is not the right way. Hope you understand what I am saying.

BTW
    My parents left a church because they were never hurled to the floor and lost control even though they constantly prayed for it to happen to them as well. When they asked why, they were told that they were lacking God's holy spirit.

May 5, 2006, 08:58 AM
    I totally agree with you starman, I don't agree with worship in this way either. I think a lot of these people are pretending, and that is why I don't attend one of these types of church.
    -

May 5, 2006, 06:44 PM
    I totally agree with you starman, I don't agree with worship in this way either. I think a lot of these people are pretending, and that is why I don't attend one of these types of church.
    I personally don't like to be around people who act as if they are out of control that way. The man you mentioned brought my experiences with my aunt to mind. But to be honest, the man you mention seems more sinister to me since you say he waits for people to close their eyes in order to begin his antics. Does your pastor or priest know about this? If not you should tell him.
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

May 10, 2006, 04:58 AM
    Such worship includes practices ranging from “benign ritualistic activities to drinking blood from self-mutilation and animal sacrifices.” Satanic cults proclaim “an allegiance to the devil. Specific rituals are used to channel power from Satan to the followers. . . . The dogma of freedom of choice and will means doing whatever you want with no God, no guilt, and no conscience.” As a result, some engage in criminal activities without shame.

There is the belief among many of Satan’s worshipers that he will provide power to those who follow his teachings. And the understanding of some satanic worshipers is that this means power to murder without retribution. The publicized murders by worshipers of Satan reveal that they really believe that by murder they can ingratiate themselves with the Devil. So there is need to take seriously the growing menace of satanic worship.

If this man is a Satan worshiper, stay away from him. They are dangerous. Yet, be discerning because this man could also be mentally sick.

Take care,
    Hope12

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign-in issue [ 2 Answers ]

Not sure if this would go here, so patience is appreciated. My sister-in-law is having problems signing in to messengers and the like. I looked up possible resolutions and found one, but I have been unable to get it going. The resolution was to re-register a series of .dll files, which I did,...

Sign on Bonuses [ 1 Answers ]

Our company gives sign on bonuses with the stipulation that the bonus does not have to be repaid if you work the 24 month commitment. The bonus is being written out of accounts payable and wages are not reported until the year of fullfillment. At that time the sign on bonus is "grossed up" for...

Is This An Early Sign? [ 2 Answers ]

This question is for anyone familiar with tracking ovulation via basal body temp, cervical position & cerv. Mucous. I've been tracking my ovulation this way for the past several months, and I've been pretty predictable by all three factors. This month, it's different... I was 'scheduled' to...

Co Sign Trouble [ 8 Answers ]

Several years ago my grandmother was nice enough to co-sign a loan for me a new car. Five years later I'm only 3-4 months away from paying it off, and I've had a couple late payments, but nothing over 30 days. Last October she was asked me to do the same for her. I was reluctant because I was...

View more questions Search