Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josie5214 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Does home insurance cover for toilet problems
    My toilet don't flush down it only comes out at the base of the toilet.And when I empty dish water from kitchen sink it comes out at the toilet's base. Shall I call a plumber rotorouter or insurance agent?:confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Hello josie:

Insurance doesn't pay for maintenance. It pays for damage. Looks to me like your problem is maintenance. Plus, you probably have a larger deductable than the cost to fix it would be.

Call the plumber.

excon

Sep 3, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello josie:

Insurance doesn't pay for maintenance. It pays for damage. Looks to me like your problem is maintenance. Plus, you probably have a larger deductable than the cost to fix it would be.

Call the plumber.

excon
    So if they have to rip up the floor ,insurance will cover that?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Hello again, josie:

I don't know. Call your agent and ASK...

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Before you make any of those calls there are some steps an average homeowner can take. Have you triued to plunge the toilet? That's the place to start. If plunging doesn't clear the line you can buy/rent a toilet auger and rod out the first 3' of the toilet, this clears 95% of all toilet clogs. Since water is coming out at the toilet base your wax ring has already failed so a DYIer would oull the toilet to install a new ring and rod the drain line further once the toilet is off the floor. If you floors are ruined the agent will have an adjuster inspect the damage and determine if it cover and by how much. After applying your deductible you would likely be pying the whole bill so try to fix on your own if you have some basic skills.

Sep 3, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Before you make any of those calls there are some steps an average homeowner can take. Have you triued to plunge the toilet?? Thats the place to start. If plunging doesn't clear the line you can buy/rent a toilet auger and rod out the first 3' of the toilet, this clears 95% of all toilet clogs. Since water is coming out at the toilet base your wax ring has already failed so a DYIer would oull the toilet to install a new ring and rod the drain line further once the toilet is off the floor. If you floors are ruined the agent will have an adjuster inspect the damage and determine if it cover and by how much. After applying your deductible you would likely be pying the whole bill so try to fix on your own if you have some basic skills.
    Thanks for answering.. I used the plundger ,didn't help.Everytime I empty dish water in kitchen it floods the floor from the base of toilet. I can take showers and it won't effect anything also I can use bathroom sink and that's OK.too When I flush toilet it comes ougt at base,Could it be a broken pipe? And does ins. Cover it? I can't afford a plumber right now.

Sep 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Insrance will not cover a clogged toilet drain.If it keeps over flowing for a long time your floors will be damaged and probably a lot more in the house. That might be covered but the adjuster is going to take a lomg hard look at your situation. The home damage could have been prevented by simple maintenance so they may decline paying. Do you or anyone else around that can help know how to remove a toilet? I can give you the directions but you need to know your way around plumbing a little.

Sep 3, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Insrance will not cover a clogged toilet drain.If it keeps over flowing for a long time your floors will be damaged and probably a lot more in the house. That might be covered but the adjuster is going to take a lomg hard look at your situation. The home damage could have been prevented by simple maintainence so they may decline paying. Do you or anyone else around that can help know how to remove a toilet? I can give you the directions but you need to know your way around plumbing a little.
    Yes my neighbor would help take the toilet off.Thank you so much.

Sep 3, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Once the toilet is off you can rod the drain much better. Let me know if the neighbor is not able to help reinstallthe toilet and wax ring

Sep 3, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Once the toilet is off you can rod the drain much better. Let me know if the neighbor is not able to help reinstallthe toilet and wax ring
    OK I have to wait till he comes home and I'll ask him thanks One more question do you think I should call a roto rooter instead of a plumber?if my neighbor can't help?
    barb1953 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by josie5214
    My toilet don't flush down it only comes out at the base of the toilet.And when I empty dish water from kitchen sink it comes out at the toilet's base. Shall I call a plumber rotorouter or insurance agent?:confused:
    Your best to call a plumber and get an estimate and a cause of the problem. Your home owners insurance could possibly cover the problem less your deductible but its probably not worth filing a claim and having that on your record for 3 years. Call your insurance claims department and ask to speak to a adjuster to get their advice before you file a claim. Most homeowners have a 1000.00 deductible so again it may not be worth filing a claim.

Sep 10, 2008, 11:29 AM
    I am not impressed by most big rooter companies and they aren't going to necessarily help with the toilet wax ring. A licensed plumber can handle this issue with ease but a skilled handyman could also do it and save a few dollars. I would not suggest calling a big rooter company unless your entire house was backed up and the clog was out at the street riser on the city sewer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does every insurance cover birth control? [ 5 Answers ]

I need to purchase birth control. I have hmo insurance, and I'm 19 so I'm signed with my mom for insurance. Will birth control be provided, or do I have to pay? Also, I remember my doctor saying that even if it is provided, something may come up later in terms of paying so I need to check with...

Insurance full cover [ 3 Answers ]

So I was driving down the street when someone cut me off by going in my lane from the right side and he got a stop sign so. I was going 50 mph and he got in my lane he was going like 10mph so I switched to the right lane ( it's a 4 lane street 2 going 2 comming) so I had to go on the right side ...

Insurance to Cover Infertility Treatments [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find a health insurance that covers infertility treatments in WV. Please let me know. Thanks :)

Will Insurance Cover In My State? [ 1 Answers ]

I am contemplating taking a job in VA. However, I live in WV. Will the new company's plan (Blue Cross) be accepted at the physicians we use here in WV? Thanks for any input.

View more questions Search