Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    One4juju Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Interest owed due to negligent payment processing.
    My girlfriend owed a large amount on her credit card. Due to the sudden deaths of several close relatives, she lost interest in making payments. I got involved and she was given a payoff amount. She then authorized the bank to take payment from her bank account. The payment was never taken, and several months later, we began receiving phone calls from the creditor. We then sent in payment in the amount previously quoted. Recently, we began receiving phone calls again asking for the interest accumulated in the time frame between when the first payment (3/07) was authorized and the time the check sent was processed by our bank (1/08).
    I have taped conversation with them telling me that the payment had attempted to be processed, but was returned NSF and the bank statement from the account showing a more than sufficient balance during that time frame. Given the current economic situation, I am sure that I am not alone in this situation. Would I owe the interest or are they negligent?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2008, 07:17 PM
    It depends on why the payment was returned NSF. If it was due to a mistake on the bank's or creditor's part, then no.

Sep 2, 2008, 08:32 PM
    There was no NSF. They told me this, but my bank statement doesn't support this claim.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Well we run up on a conundrum here. So you authorized payment and they didn't process it for several months. What were you doing during that time? Didn't you notice the money hadn't been debited from your account? A court would hold that you had some responsibility for following up on the payment as well. So I'm not sure if they would credit you the interest. Maybe you should try to negotiate a settlement on that part.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Well we run up on a conundrum here. So you authorized payment and they didn't go ahead and process it for several months. What were you doing during that time? Didn't you notice the money hadn't been debited from your account? A court would hold that you had some responsibility for following up on the payment as well. So I'm not sure if they would credit you the interest. Maybe you should try to negotiate a settlement on that part.

Agree with Scott and will add that having money in the account and having AVAILABLE money in the account are two different things.

Possible to have sufficient funds in writing but a deposit has not yet cleared so that money cannot be accessed.

Seems like a matter - concerning the failure to do the withdrawal - of taking the paperwork authorizing the payment to the Bank and asking them to pay the interest. If they refuse, I'd go to Small Claims Court.

Sep 5, 2008, 01:25 AM
    Well, account was held in a bank which she doesn't normally use and I don't keep track of. Money was from her late husband's insurance policy. Not our daily checking and savings banks. There was no deposit activity other than the policy monies, but that totaled well over the payment amount. Kind of a sticky situation for me, I hope you understand. Anyway, tried to make a settlement with the bank and they are trying strong arm us. They do not seem interested in a settlement. I'm liking it to, I sent my creditor a payment, they stuck it in a drawer for 6 months charging interest the whole time, then cashed the check. Now they're looking for a little extra profit.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by One4juju
    Well, account was held in a bank which she doesn't normally use and I don't keep track of. Money was from her late husband's insurance policy. Not our daily checking and savings banks. There was no deposit activity other than the policy monies, but that totaled well over the payment amount. Kind of a sticky situation for me, I hope you understand. Anyway, tried to make a settlement with the bank and they are trying strong arm us. They do not seem interested in a settlement. I'm liking it to, I sent my creditor a payment, they stuck it in a drawer for 6 months charging interest the whole time, then cashed the check. Now they're looking for a little extra profit.

What is her proof of the request that the money be withdrawn?

Sep 5, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Received confirmation number and name of representative in March 2007 of transaction authorized. Confirmation number contained reps company id number and check number. I feel as if they are not consistent in the information that they are relaying to us, first with "cannot find a record of the authorization", then with "the check came back NSF", now with "you have no legal basis and you will live with this debt". I don't like feeling bullied.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment of interest on money held in escrow by landlord [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard that, as a landlord, I'm required to pay interest on security deposit money I've held in an escrow account for a tenant, and that I may retain a portion of the interest as an administrative fee. Is this all correct? If so, can I place all of my tenants' security deposits in one...

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Payment to Foreign Lender [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I have a query, I have gone through previous posts but somehow felt I have not got all the answers I wanted. Need your help here: 1) I have a mortgage in India from an Indian Bank who doesn't have a branch in the US 2) I work in the US and remit the monthly payments...

How can interest income double my federal taxes owed? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, This question is for anyone out there who can help me, specifically for Atlanta Tax Expert since you were kind enough to help me last year through this forum. My status changed from F1 to H1B in 2005 and 2006 is the first year that I will file as a resident alien. My employer deducts...

View more questions Search