Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Wireless router.
    Hey everyone. I currently have a wired router however I want to buy a new wireless router so that I can use my laptop around the house. I would have this new router next to my desktop PC so I would connect this via cable to the wireless router. I also have 2 cables under my floors to another room where I have connected an xbox and will have the laptop connected to that cable when I am in there. I need there wireless to use the laptop out of that room and around the house. I would like some advice as to what type of wireless router to get.

Dell Wireless 1510 (802.11n) Half Mini Card European

That is what is installed in my laptop.
    I don't want to spend loads of money on one but I want a good one with a good range. Thanks.
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Sep 2, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Linksys.com – Products/Home/Networking/Routers, Modems & Gateways/Wireless-N (draft 802.11n)/WRT300N

See the above link.

Sep 3, 2008, 12:47 AM
    I don't know if that's expensive or not. I don't think it is for a wireless router. Also do I have to buy any type of adapters for my laptop? Thanks.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Sep 3, 2008, 12:19 PM
    I've owned several Linksys routers, some with a VPN endpoint for work purposes and have not had any issues at all. Cisco now owns the Linksys division. So I would recommend them.

If you do not have built in wireless in your laptop then you have to get the wireless adapter card that fits in your PCMCIA slot in your laptop. You can get both the router and card for about $60 tops.

Additionally, the router comes with 4 wired ports that will give you a wired network with any other PCs / laptops that you don't have or want to run wireless.

Sep 3, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Is it compatible with my wireless card that is in my laptop? It is stated above.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Sep 3, 2008, 02:22 PM
    If your built in wireless support 802.11b/g Wi-fi standards then you should be fine. Most do.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 07:34 PM
    As long as you have high-speed you shouldn't have a problem.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Oct 22, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologisenow View Post
    Dell Wireless 1510 (802.11n) Half Mini Card European

That is what is installed in my laptop.
    I don't want to spend loads of money on one but i want a good one with a good range. Thanks.
    The 802.11N standard is the latest in WiFi. The previous versions (as mentioned above - B & G) are not as fast and do not have as much range. Most of these will give you up to about 100 meters in good conditions. The newer N standard will go to almost 200 meters inside the building and to about 400 meters outside without obstructions. It uses multiple radio signals at the same time and actually increases in speed at farther distances instead of losing strength as the others do.

The newer N will cost more (about $70-$100 vs. $50-$80) but will provide you with value even a few years from now. Some members here do not like the LinkSys but will also tell you that others are worse. It is all relative. Do not expect the reliability of a $1000 device in a $60 box.
    frazier52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 12:51 PM

I want to use a USB wireless air card on my desktop PC to setup a wireless router for internet access on my laptop. I am having problems getting the connection set up correctly
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Nov 4, 2008, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frazier52 View Post
    I want to use a USB wireless air card on my desktop PC to setup a wireless router for internet access on my laptop. I am having problems getting the connection set up correctly
    What brand do you use ? Do you follow the manual ? When you install the driver , you can't plug in the USB Wireless receiver at your PC .

Regards,
    ABB
    frazierkc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 08:30 AM

I had this wireless router setup previously with cable high speed internet. I no longer have that service. I am now attempting to use this wireless router with my wireless aircard via my desktop PC to communicate with my laptop. The manual that came with the router does not address setup of the wireless aircard

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Wireless Router [ 1 Answers ]

I want an IPod touch. But for that, i need to buy a wireless router. And i dont no what that is. What is a wireless router, and why do i need one for an IPod touch? :confused:

Best wireless router [ 5 Answers ]

Which wireless router is the best to buy, to hook computer on the net to a laptop?

Wireless router [ 12 Answers ]

I'm having difficulty installing my wireless router Linksys WRT150 N. I can't get beyond the password screen even though it is already encrypted on the screen. Customer help couldn't help me and neither would comcast since it's not their product.

View more questions Search