Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janlafata Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 03:19 PM
    I messed up a word doc file!
    And now they're all messed up. Boy I was doing so well as far as not making stupid mistakes on Pc for a long time. Guess I was overdue for a screw-up! I run Vista Home Basic x64 and I have about 20-30 Word 2003 document files.

I just through reformatting and loading windows, but it was before I installed Microsoft Office 2003 and I had to get a serial number from one of the document files. Of course, as you know, it's not a complete Microsoft Word document until I install Office 2003, so I opened it it Wordpad (ughh!). Anyway the wording was all messed up and there were all kinds of strange characters in there, but the information that I needed was in there.

So I closed the document, and of course, then the icon changed to wordpad or something strange. Anyway, I didn't think much of it. I've done that before, but when I installed Office, everything would automatically turn into an official word document and the word icon would show and all. But not this time.

This time I opened up the folder where I keep all of my word dcouments and all of them now have this strange icon showing and when I try to open them I get a message that says bla bla bla, is not a valid win32 application. But I didn't panic. I went into defaults and checked to see what was associated with .doc and it's the Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper (Not quite sure what that is)

Anyway I changed the default to Word, though the icon looked all weird. You know the type (see attached screenshot). So now I'm starting to worry. "What have I done, I say!"
    Then I right clicked on one of those files and it said Word Document file, which doesn't make sense (see other attached screenshot). I mean if it's a Word .doc file, Word should open it right?

I even tried messing with the permissions, but wasn't able to get very far. The next thing I tried was to open up Microsoft Word and try to open the weirded out .doc file in there. To my amazement, the file opened up perfectly in Word and I thought... "I'm there, I solved it!" But after saving it under the same name, it was still listed in that folder with that weird icon and, like before, I couldn't open it.

So I tried saving it under a different name. Same thing happened and I couldn't open it in the folder of one of my directories in the other partition other than Windows that I keep them in. So this has got me stumped. So I don't know whether to make them all wordpad files and try to copy the information off those to fresh new Word documents or what!

Or maybe I should try uninstalling , then reinstalling Microsoft Office. I did try a repair installation but that didn't help. It seems like something is corrupted somewhere, or maybe it's a virus! Who knows!

Some expert help is definitely needed here!
    Attached Images

JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 03:39 PM
    First, something simple... right-click on one of these documents and select:

OPEN WITH > Choose Default Program
    Or
    CONTROL PANEL > Default Programs

Select Word 2003 as the way to open all .DOC files.

Reboot if necessary (shouldn't be) and then reopen your Text Documents folder. That any better?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Just a side tip... if you do not use all the power of a Word document, it's just text and such, don't use Word at all. Use Wordpad, or Notepad and save it as a normal .TXT document.

If you are too set in your ways to change, at least stop saving the documents as .DOC files, save them as .RTF (Rich Text Format) which is just a souped-up text format without all the additional bells and whistles and WordPad will have no problem opening/saving RTF files when called on to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change WPS to a word file [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change a file that is wps format to a WORD format?

.wps file to word doc or notepad [ 7 Answers ]

Is there a way to convert wps file to word, or notepad, if yes could u please tell me. One of the student have wps file in her e-mail and want to open it up in word/notepad at school because we don't have wps at school. Thanks, Hadi88

MS word file into MP3? How [ 5 Answers ]

How do I convert a MS Word file into a MP3?

MS Word - Display file location [ 1 Answers ]

Currently I have Word set to display the file location at the bottom of the page... but now I forget how I set that, and can't find it in help. Can someone remind me how to set this and turn it off and on? Thanks!

Merging Word files into one large file [ 16 Answers ]

I have book pages stored as five files of 15 pages each. Is there a way to combine them into one large file? Thank you.

View more questions Search