Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

May 3, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Free Masons
    Hey, there is a town nearby my city that has a ton of houses with those free mason signs in front of their house/ I have googled it and I understand it is a secret society, but what for? What is it that they do? Secret Society's creep me out personally. Does anyone know anything about this society?
    Attached Images

orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 03:01 PM
    LOL well my husband is a Mason, he was invited into the Lodge because his father was also one. I was a bit creeped out by it too when I first met him. He's been with the society since his early 20s (he's 32 now). Honestly even though I am his wife I don't know exactly what they do when they meet. He never tells me of course; he's taken an oath so he won't reveal what goes on. I know they have certain ceremonies, but what goes on exactly, I have no idea. I was recently invited to join The Order of the Eastern Star myself. It is the sister organization to the Masons, for their wives and daughters. I haven't had a chance to go to a meeting yet, too busy with kids and other things. But if I ever do, maybe I'll share here. Unless of course they'll kill me if I do! :p

When you looked up Masons in Google, did you check out Wikipedia: Freemasonry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ? They have a pretty extensive explanation of the society and how it got started. Their main purpose now, as far as I can tell, is charitable. They give money and take part in community activities, similar to the Lions Club or the Rotary Club. And I think the men like the idea of having their own secret place to go hang out with no women around lol. Just my opinion there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Here are some good web sites that will give you a lot of iniformation.
    Although some of their meetings are "secret" they are far from secret, members have stickers on their cars, they wear rings with their symbol, and their buildings have large signs on them.

Freemasonry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Masonry (Freemasonry)

Freemason Information - Further Light
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 3, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Honestly even though I am his wife I don't know exactly what they do when they meet.
    I would have a problem with that if it were my spouse (and I am by no means a controlling person).
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

May 3, 2006, 05:16 PM
    Need, I couldn't comment because I had to spread it aorund. I do agree with you that I would be concerned that she doesn't know. I have heard that they are very secretive about what they do so it is not a surprise you can't find a lot about them, Cgirl. My brother knows a lot about them but I couldn't get a hold of him to ask.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 06:15 PM
    Haven't you seen National Treasure?? That's what its all about! Lol ;)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Actually National Treasure is NOT what is all about. My daughter has been involved in Masonic youth organizations for the last 5 years.

Masonry started as a building trade guild prior to the Renaissance. Masons jealousy guarded the secrets of their trade, passing them from journeyman to apprentice. Freemasonry grew from these trade groups and maintained the façade of a secret organization. Free Masons are not largely different from Elks, Rotaries or Knights of Columbus. The main purpose of the organization is philanthropy and community service. They do have certain rituals they conduct during their meetings that are kept secret. But these rituals are simply a very structured way of conducting a meeting.

And to CGirl, if you want to know more, join Eastern Star, which is the women's equivalent.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I would have a problem with that if it were my spouse (and I am by no means a controlling person).
    Yeah I'm sure it would bother a lot of people, but honestly, it really doesn't bother me. I trust him that he's not doing anything illegal or immoral. I look at it sort of the same as, he can't always tell me what he does at work either, because of patient confidentiality. I know that's not exactly the same thing, but it feels the same to me. He was in the Masons for a few years before I met him too, so it's not something new since we've been together. It's always been part of my relationship with him. Plus I may be joining the female version myself soon. So I will basically "find out" if and when I do that.

And Scott is absolutely right; they mostly exist as a charitable organization these days.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 3, 2006, 09:28 PM
    My wife's grandfather was a mason. He was a man of integrity, faith, and honor.

Yes... they have rituals we won't understand. At his funeral they had a whole ceremony that was obviously a masonic ritual.

While the idea of a closed society can be unnerving, I can tell you this man would never have been a part of something that wasn't wholesome, just, and of the highest integrity.

I named my son after him, and if I am just half the man he was, I'm doing a good job.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2006, 02:11 AM
    Plus I may be joining the female version myself soon. So I will basically "find out" if and when I do that.
    Go for it. You might as well have your night out a week too. :)
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

May 4, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Thanks for all of the info everyone, I think I am beginning to understand more about it now... I guess "secret society" just throws everyone off at first.

May 4, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Yep, its more of a secretive organization, then some ultra secret society plotting nefarious deeds.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Masonry started out as a building trade guild prior to the Renaissance. Masons jealousy guarded the secrets of their trade, passing them from journeyman to apprentice. Freemasonry grew from these trade groups and maintained the facade of a secret organization. Free Masons are not largely different from Elks, Rotaries or Knights of Columbus. The main purpose of the organization is philanthropy and community service. They do have certain rituals they conduct during their meetings that are kept secret. But these rituals are simply a very structured way of conducting a meeting.
    That's just what they want you to think!! Its all a cover-up he he he

</tinfoilhat>
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

May 4, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Freemasonry has pretty evil ties that are very well hidden. It takes some serious research to get to the facts which many consider lies. My take is it has NWO ties and to stay away from it. I have much more info on this subject but I do not share it openly. They have skeletons in their closets. MANY.

Hypatia

May 5, 2006, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia
    Freemasonry has pretty evil ties that are very well hidden. It takes some serious research to get to the facts which many consider lies. My take is it has NWO ties and to stay away from it. I have much more info on this subject but I do not share it openly. They have skeletons in their closets. MANY.

Hypatia
    There wasn't enough room in the comments for me to say all I wanted to about this garbage. Given the roster of people who have been Freemasons in the past (Like George Washington, Will Rogers, Teddy Roosevelt and MANY others), given the Masons I have personally met and been friends with. There is no way there is a evil side to them. I have no clue what NWO is, but I think this borders on Libel.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I have no clue what NWO is, but I think this borders on Libel.
    New World Order? At least I think that's what it is.

I think it's interesting that Masons were targeted as political prisoners in Nazi Germany and that between 100,000 - 200,000 of them were killed. Hitler and Nazi Party accused them of being aligned with the Jews and wanting to create a World Republic.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Hi,
    Masons contribute much, much to America.
    George Washington, Abe Lincoln, etc, etc, and on and on were Masons.
    The Shriners in VA help children, contribute to charities, and are among the "tops" of Masons.
    The only "secrecy" is that one has to be ask another member about it. There are no "membership" drives, as other organizations. They also have their own funeral rights, with a short eulogy after a funeral.
    Free Masons were started when this country was founded, doing charity work, and enjoying life. My Aunt is a member of Eastern Star, a womans' ties to Masonry, with charitable work all over our county in VA. Masons have a long tradition, and will continue to have for the future generations.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Hi, again,
    I have asked the Administration to change my "approval" comment to "disapproval" comment, in Hypatia's answer.
    I mistakenly left it on "approval", and meant it to be "disapproval".
    Thank you. And best wishes.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Go for it. You might as well have your night out a week too. :)
    LOL well at this point baby would have to come with me, as I am breastfeeding. But I guess I could take him along. :)
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 06:49 AM
    LOL well at this point baby would have to come with me, as I am breastfeeding. But I guess I could take him along. :)
    The joys of "expressing" may benefit you. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a free PDF converter... [ 6 Answers ]

Does any one know of a free PDF to WORD or HTML converter... Preferably free? Thanks...

Free/Almost Free Online Multiplayer Games [ 51 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could recommend any free/nearly free online multiplayer games. A few friends and I are looking for some good games over the internet. Preferably something other than a MMORPG as you have to devote a lot of time to those in order to keep up with each other. ...

Avg Free [ 11 Answers ]

I have installed AVG Free virus scanner but now I cannot receive or send emails from outlook express. If I close AVG then I can get mail Any ideas - I'm running Windows XP Thanks

Free mp3 songs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi pals I just wanted to ask you were can I find all the free mp3 songs I need. Can you giv me a site with free indian mp3 songs ? Thank q

.com address for free [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way that I can create a decent website for free... for example can I create an http://www."mysitenamehere".com address without having to pay for the site. I have created a geocities site before... as well as a bravenet site as well.. but they have the messed up site name like the...

View more questions Search