Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bowtie_Barbie Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Are piercings OK?
    I just received my certificate to become a sub... In my class our instructors said any tattoos are allowed (which to me is crazy) but what about piercing??
    ... I know of 2 TAs that have nose studs...
    ... I have a tiny diamond nose stud and a diamond monroe that is flush with my skin... I don't have a problem with getting clear ones (if available) but if I don't have to Id rather not...

My interview with the board of education is soon, please help...
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 2, 2008, 01:35 PM
    In my school district, no subs have EVER wore nose piercings or any piercings. Personally I think its not something you should wear to an interview or to a job such as a school. All that has to happen is a kid or 2 talk about it and a parent thinks its inappropriate and you then you won't be subbing anymore in that district.

Just take it out for the hour or so

Sep 3, 2008, 08:12 AM
    I just don't think its fair... Someone could have a tattoo that says the f word on their arm but I have two little shinney dots on my face and I have to remove them..?
    ... Like I said I don't mind trying to fill them, because if I take them out they'll close up, but it's the fact that I was a store manager of a million dollar store and I have a college education but because of my piercings people won't take me seriously...
    ... I guess it just comes down to my stubbornness, its 2008 and I feel it should be OK, within reason, to have them... :cool:

in my school district, no subs have EVER wore nose piercings or any piercings. Personally I think its not something you should wear to an interview or to a job such as a school. All that has to happen is a kid or 2 talk about it and a parent thinks its inappropriate and you then you won't be subbing anymore in that district.

Just take it out for the hour or so
    :) Thank you though for the incite I am definitely considering getting clear ones... I love kids and this job, even though just for fun, means a lot to me...
    ... Ill just wait and see what everyone thinks... So please help...
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Tattoos are one thing, having one with the F word on it is entirely different. Schools will have standards as to what is permitted on clothing and that will apply to tattoos as well.

I have known teachers and assistants with piercings, so it will depend on where you are. When in doubt, go clear... you could always call ahead of time and simply ask if it is deemed appropriate in the school district you are looking to work in.
    varitek33 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2008, 03:42 PM

I think that it is appropriate for the nose stud, but just to be safe get a clear for the Diamond Monroe. I am a VPK teacher and I do have teachers that work with me that have a nose and tongue piercing.

I do agree with it being 2008 and people need to be open, but one thing that I have learned is that parents are not open towards their children. The teacher needs to maintain a professional image.

However I don't agree with the tattoos. My opinion if you have a tattoo, it needs to be covered.

I hope this helped:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 03:45 PM

It will be up to what it says, if there are 30 people interviewing and 29 do not have nose studs, guess who won't get the job.

Dec 20, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Ive already started subbing... I work EVERY day... I just asked each school... All the office people and teachers love my diamond studs... If I put a clear one in they always ask why... Hahaha... Its cool... I love my job... I find with the high school kids it makes it easier for them to warm up to me... When I walk in with my suit on their first reaction is "oh great a strict sub" but I get finished what needs to be and we still have a good time... I get repeat calls from the same schools so it must really not matter...
    At church they love them too!. The older members say they wish they could pull it off... Theyre really sweet... I guess it's a persons personality that goes along with it... My piercings don't make me, I make them... I haven't found any one yet to say anything negative so Im relieved.

My advice to any one else is just to ASK!

Thanks for all your help!!
    varitek33 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2008, 10:20 PM

Aww I am very happy to hear that! It sounds that your having a blast. :)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:18 AM

Glad to hear it is going well... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piercings [ 15 Answers ]

Um.. I got a question, and I hope someone would be able to help me.. I am going to self pierce a second hole but my mom said I could do it myself so I need some advice..

Lip Piercings [ 2 Answers ]

In may i got my monroe pierced (upper lip) and now its my birthday on the 17th and my mom said im aloud another lip piercing. Im not sure if i should get the otherside, * i really want it* or my right bottom lip. People say my other side of my monroe wudlook tacky, but i want ittt. but they said...

Healing Piercings [ 4 Answers ]

I recently got a belly button ring in the form of a barbell and, well, it's not me and I'd like to take it out. The piercing is almost two months old, I was wondering if it was going to leave a hole or if it would heal completely? Thanks!

Piercings [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, OK I have a 4 month old industrial peircing and it has these little bumps on the ends of each hole and I use sea salt and once and a while peroxide, do anyone know what else I can do to make them go away or will they go away in time, cause I know it takes 6 months to a year to heal.

View more questions Search