Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djsheen Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Adjusting Entry
    General Question for my books:

Prior to recording adjusting entries on December 31, the Store Supplies account had an $880 debit balance, while a physical count of the supplies showed $325 of unused supplies on hand. I need to prepare the required adjusting entry and am not sure how.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 08:14 PM
    So your books say you should have 880, and yet you only have 325 left.

Therefore you used up 880-325 = 555

Therefore, the adjusting JE would be:
    Dr. Supplies Expense 555
    Cr. Supplies 555
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Your entry depends. Was your original entry Dr. Supplies Cr. Cash for payment of supplies? Since your books do not match the physical account you may need to check your cash balance. If there is no mistake there, it appears there is a loss or theft of your supplies. In this case, you would need to adjust your asset balance for the supplies against a loss account.

However, if you original entry was entered incorrectly, this should have appeared when you cash balances did not reconcile to your bank statements. You may need to look into this further...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal entry and adjusting entry [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I am new to this site. I am coming across some difficulty with my assignment. If someone can please help me:confused: 1. On may 1st, there was a rent payment for may and June for 4500. THEN 2. I have an adjusting entry for a $1000 of unearned rent. Here is the confusing part to...

How does an eliminating entry differ from an adjusting entry [ 2 Answers ]

How does an eliminating entry differ from an adjusting entry

Adjusting Entry [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to make the following adjusting entry: Fees received on account in advance from clients 6,900 Is that: debit to accounts receivable and credit to unearned revenue?

Adjusting entry [ 1 Answers ]

What is the adjusting entry for unused supplies in hand

View more questions Search