Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

May 3, 2006, 06:29 AM
    Candles... would Like Tips, Suggestions Etc.
    Does anyone have any tips on large tub type or in a glass - candles?
    i.e. How to avoid having the liquid wax pool in the center and cause the flame to be very very weak and eventually go out?

Are there any candles that DO NOT have black soot/smoke?

What are the ROLLS ROYCE of candles - i.e. wax type, wick type?

What are the names of any ROLLS ROYCE type of manufacturers of candles?

Any other tips, advice, etc. would be appreciated. THANKS! :)
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

May 3, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Hi violet0019,
    I know that Partylite sells an excellent line of candles, as does Home Interiors. Both of those companies have websites you can check out to find someone who sells them in your area. They both have care and use instructions with their candles. I think they might even be online. These companies offer candles with longer burn times and tell you how to avoid the pooling and such. They are a little more money, but well worth it. I usually find someone who is having a sale of older merchandise and buy what I want then. Their websites are www.partylite.com and Home Interiors & Gifts Hope this helps. Take care.:)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 08:10 AM
    HI,
    My wife has made her own candles, some fragrant, some not.
    Here is one of her links:
    Candle Making Projects and Instructions and Using Body Bases
    It has some helpful info.
    Best wishes.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 3, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by violet0019
    i.e. How to avoid having the liquid wax pool in the center and cause the flame to be very very weak and eventually go out?

Any other tips, advice, etc. would be appreciated. THANKS!! :)
    My wife and I have a small candle business, run primarily through fundrasing events through schools, organizations, churches...

I assume you are talking about making candles?

The first question about the wick comes down to testing and supplier help. Candles that develop a good melt pool, the liquid layer, melt more of the wax. When we make candles one of the criteria is that the candle does not tunnel... where the wick burn the wax locally, but leaves wax on the sides and further out. Our candles must develop good melt pools and melt all the wax or we won't use that combination of wax and wick.

When we try a new wax well get several wicks from suppliers to test. Most wicks are rated by the diameter of the candle they are intended to burn. You still cannot take a wick rated for a 5 in container and not test it in the container. The hardness of the wax also comes into play. Might sound complicated, but it is not. You just make several candles with several wicks, burn then all at once and record your observations. Which ones burn strong, which ones have a weak flame?

In several of our candles we have two wicks. This allows for the melt pool all the way across and also two sources of combustion... the candle burns faster, but it also burns better. So the number of wicks can help also. We have made candles using heart glass from walmart and these usually take three wicks.

You are fighting two battles... you want a wick strong enough (or a combo) that it burns well, but small enough that it burns as slow as possible, extending the life of the candle (longer burning hours). Given a choice, we always sacrifice hours to ensure a strong burn.

Also... it is always better to burn candles longer. Very short burns don't allow a melt pool to develop, then you get tunneling. Then when you do burn it longer the wax drowns out the wick. We tell our buyers to try to burn no less than 2 hours each time if possible.

Also, while we try to reduce inventory by using the same wick in as many diff jars as possble, sometimes you'll find a great wick just won't work in a certain container and you need a diff wick.

Rolls royce of candles? Well... you can search some candle sites and forums for help here. Do a little work and you'll see some of the popular waxes used. Or simply call one of the big distributers, such as candles with class, and ask for help. They'll be very happy to match you up with wax and wick combos.

Parrafin wax is easy to use and the wax that most people probably start with. It can burn cleanly and throw scent well when matched right with the proper wick... but again, you need to do a little testing. Some combos will smoke and soot.

We've used a palm wax that is gorgeous, but doesn't throw scent as well, so it depends on your goal. It's a popular, visually interesting and pretty wax, but not my fav for a strong scent throw.

We've just started moving into soy wax. Its popular, said to have good scent throw and very clean burning. All natural so not petroleum based like paraffin, so some like it also for the marketing. Soy is a little trickier to work with sometimes, but its popular and used by many, so the issues with pouring temp don't outweigh its popularity. People simply wouldn't use it if it was too tough to use.

When we started we used zinc core wicks. They tend to burn hot and are easy to work with. They also tend to mushroom (where the wick gets funky on top, spreading out like, well, a shroom) and some smoke.

Lately we've gone to coreless wicks. Burn cleaner, little to no smoking.

As for a large tub, I'm not sure what you mean. We've never made anything in a container that was more that, say, 8 inches wide. That was the heart jar I mentioned and it took three wicks to burn the way we liked.

So don't be intimidated. Just ask a few questions and do a little work. If you are uncomfortable talking to suppliers over the phone you can email many as well. Also, many distributer sites have pages to help you learn how to make candles.

A few links:

http://shop.candlesandsupplies.com/
    Good distributer and will help you match wax to wick

Wholesale candlemaking supplies, Natures Garden candlemaking supplies Ohio, Fragrance oils
    Another good supplier

Candle Making Techniques: Message Boards and Forums
    A website forum that has lots of info... search the site a little before you ask what's the best to use. That question gets asked over and over...

Candle and Soap Suppliers by State
    A site that lists suppliers by state, so you can try to get local pickup w out shipping costs
    KariAndersen Posts: 18, Reputation: 4

Jun 9, 2006, 11:44 PM
    I am a Mia Bella Candles Distributor and our candles are made of veggie wax and burn virtually soot free! No black stuff! Also, super scented!

I offer free scent samples on my website! Just fill out the form there and I will pop them in the mail for you!!

FREE SCENT SAMPLES
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 10, 2006, 08:01 AM
    I am a candle fan, have recently switched to soy based candles and won't use any other now - they are fantastic. I have a small local source, otherwise I would share it here. Just wanted to put a hooray in for soy!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 10, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KariAndersen
    I am a Mia Bella Candles Distributor and our candles are made out of veggie wax and burn virtually soot free! No black stuff!! Also, super scented!

I offer free scent samples on my website! Just fill out the form there and I will pop them in the mail for you!!!

FREE SCENT SAMPLES
    Does my information remain private with you?

Jun 10, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Does my information remain private with you?
    Absolutely!! I just received the "Rising Star" award and sit on the advisory board for the company... which means nothing to you EXCEPT that my reputation is at stake! I will protect your information and never sell or divulge the information ever.

Thank you for asking! I would be concerned, also!!
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Jun 11, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KariAndersen
    Absolutely!!! I just received the "Rising Star" award and sit on the advisory board for the company.... which means nothing to you EXCEPT that my reputation is at stake!! I will protect your information and never sell or divulge the information ever.

Thank you for asking!! I would be concerned, also!!!!
    Hi... wondering why is this appearing in my question concerning candles?
    Is this an error? Do not understand?
    :confused:

Jun 11, 2006, 12:14 PM
    Hi...wondering why is this appearing in my question concerning candles?
    Is this an error? Do not understand?

You asked if there are candles that do not have soot so I answered that yes, I have a candle that doesn't have soot and offered a sample.

Then someone asked me if their info was safe and I answered yes because my reputation is at stake if I blow it and give away their info.

That is why all that was in your answer to your question!! Hope that answers your question!!
    kjunbabe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 06:54 PM

Any other tips, advice, etc. would be appreciated. THANKS!! :)
    Yes the candles I sell are made of soy and do not put black soot in your home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any more suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't started anything to lighten my under arms. I have been reading all your experieces and greatly appreiate your input. I'm medium/dark tan skin and have pretty dark underarms, knees and inner thighs. This has always been an issue for me and have waited too long to do something about...

Need Some Suggestions [ 17 Answers ]

Well, My Problem Is My 9 Mth Old Daughter Will Not Sleep In Her Own Bed. She Will Not Sleep Anywhere Without Me! I Try To Put Her In Her Crib, But She Just Won't Go In There. She Thinks It Is For Playing In, And Not For Sleeping In. I Am Not A Big Fan Of Letting Her Cry It Out, But If That Is The...

Candles [ 3 Answers ]

hiya, ;D I have a re coursework and I need to know what is the purpose of candles in a R.C church?? Thanks x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

New Music Suggestions [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys I am looking to sample some new music I like rock music and I recently dicoverd this band that I have never heard of before called sugarcult and fell in love with their song memory ( http://www.users.on.net/~kristomash/songs/03%20-%20Memory.mp3 ) this is the type of music I like to listen...

View more questions Search