Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wisesage Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Office pro 2003
    Hi
    My back up PC the veteran of a few Boot Sales I imagine , was running XP Home Edition fine however I now have a problem...
    It starts away OK to desk top but when I try to get online or do just about anything else..
    Windows Installer tells me to insert MS Office Professional Edition 2003 disk, which I do not have.. I have in my ignorance tried a couple of different memory cards and checked wiring connections but no luck.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Smartnormy
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Office 2003 has security feature that sometimes requires that you insert the disk for it to load. If you bought the PC with the software installed and you didn't get the disks, then you have an illegal copy.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Office Pro 2003 software can be purchased pretty reasonably nowadays.

Sep 4, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Hi Scott / JB
    Sad news but thanks anyway... no wonder the dealer that sold me the PC left town shortly after without leaving a forwarding address!
    Software Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 09:49 AM
    You don't need to purchase a licensed copy, you just need the disks. You can buy them from someone for probably $30, you can even purchase media only from a licensed Volume License vendor for Microsoft.

Your software is already installed, you just need media disks.

Sep 10, 2008, 11:27 PM
    Hi JB I am not sure what I need to shop for have you more details ? Thanks for ray of hope..
    Norm
    Software Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 11:33 PM
    Google Office Pro 2003

I'm 100% against piracy, but the truth is you only want disks anyway, so the license keys that come with an online purchase are irrelevant. In fact, if you knew someone who had disks, I'd even consider copying them since without that friend's "key" you haven't stolen anything. Installing from those copied disks and using your own legal key... that is legal, in my view.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 11, 2008, 01:26 AM
    That's very true JB. I was told by a MS representative that they don't actually care where you got the program, or the discs from, as long as you purchase an authentic key serial from them or one of their vendors.

That's where they get their money from, and that's what makes the program legal!

Good luck with your problem Wiseage!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Office 2003 can't open after uninstalling Office 2007 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I can't open any of my Office 2003 applications. A 'Widows Installer' box pops up, and asks for SKU112.CAB. I can't find my original install disks. I tried a solution I found, opening in safe mode and stopping msiexec.exe, but the laptop then showed a Error 1311. Source file not found....

Missing File with Word 2003 (all Office 2003 programs) [ 3 Answers ]

I recently started having problems opening any of my Office 2003 Professional programs. The files seem to open, but an error pops up saying that I'm missing a file named PS561401.cab, and can not open without reinstalling the program. I don't have the installation disks for Office, as this...

Office 2003 vs office 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

OK, so my new tablet laptop has a 3-month free trial for MS Office 2003... my ? Is, if I create a bunch of documents in Office 2003, will I still be able to work/edit them in Office 2000 once the 3-month trial of Office 2003 is over?

Office 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

What is Microsoft office 2003? It is an application software.

Office 2003 Pro. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I had to do a "return to factory" reset on my laptop. Prior to that I had Office 2003 running perfectly. Obviously, it was uninstalled when my "C" drive was wiped. I had to download 68 windows updates to get my PC safe. Now I cannot install Office 2003. Iget the message: "Microsoft...

View more questions Search