Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hippiefeet Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2008, 01:41 PM
    XP system hangs/crashes on restart.
    I am running Windows XP with a P4 on an Asus motherboard, not overclocked, I built 5-6 years ago.
    When I try to restart the system during normal usage, it shuts down and has problems turning back on.
    A small surge of power shows when I press the power button but quickly turns off. I turn the main power supply switch off for a few seconds then on, as I press the power button the system turns on but does nothing, no cd-rom spin up no hard drive spin up. I turn off/on the main power again and the cd-rom spins up but the system hangs, no beep nothing on screen. I press the reset button and the system returns to normal as if nothing happened. Some of these steps I do repeatedly 2-5 times before I get a response. Sometimes the BIOS opens with a warning to the side claiming the CPU speed is wrong. When I choose save and exit the system shuts down, when I choose discard changes and exit the system starts fresh. Other than that the system runs fine
    This is quite annoying, especially when I am required to restart the system after installs or changes. Thank you for reading, can anyone help? If you need more information, please ask.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Try going into BIOS and resetting system defaults and then let it restart to see if that helps
    Hippiefeet Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
    I noticed that when I try to turn the computer back on shortly after it crashes, it will not. So I waited an hour, after it crashed, before I attempted to turn it on again.
    It turns out that the computer was over heating from dust collected on the cpu heat sink. :rolleyes:
    Considering I built the computer I managed to take it apart and give it a good thorough dust cleaning. I also removed the heat sync, cleaned the old thermal silicon off, and bought some "arctic silver" silicon from radio shack to use instead of the cheaper stuff. (Be extra careful when attempting this.)
    I put everything back together, turned it on with no problems, and tried to restart it from the windows menu.
    Works like it should now. :D
    If anyone has any questions with what I did, please message me. :cool:
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Glad to hear

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why desktop divides into quadrilateral shap/columns and cpu hangs but restart normaly [ 1 Answers ]

My desktop divides into quadrilateral shapes/columns and system becomes hangs in some games or in some programs. I have asked this question in Yahoo answers they suggest to change the Ram and I did so but the problem continue. I have also change the motherboard some months ago.

During Surfing browser crashes and system hangs? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Buddy I want to ask a question related to Internet and web? During net surfing my browser crashes and system hangs and does not respond. Is this problem or error related to browser or computer system? My operating system is Windows Me. Please do sort out my query if anybody know...

System hangs [ 2 Answers ]

The problem started yesterday when I open warcraft3.. the system hangs! I format my hdd,installed win xp pro service pack 1 thinking that will solved my problem.. but nothing happens,same problem occur when trying to play warcraft3.. I tried not to install the driver of my video card and it works!...

PC System Crashes on bootup [ 8 Answers ]

I just put togther a midtower PC (AMD 750, ASUS Motherboard, 160GB Western Digital HDD, OS Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 installed) and it will only bootup and run in regular mode with just one stick of 128 SDRAM-CENTON PC133 installed in either the #1 or 2, or 3 slot. If I add one of two more sticks of...

View more questions Search