Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akers85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Duties of the apartment complex
    Someone had broke into my apartment a few weeks ago I approached the apartment complex management and told them and asked them to repair the window which they had come through which was my daughters window and they said it was not their resposibilty is this correct?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 01:12 PM
    It is their property and they have to fix it. You are just renting the property and did not do the actual damage to their window. Write them a letter and demand that the window be properly fixed. If the landlord does not fix the window within a reasonable time, contact the building department and they will force the landlord to repair the window properly. Did you file a police report on the break in? I hope so.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Hello akers:

It seems to me they are.

However, the question is, what are you going to DO about it. Do you have a lease? Do you want to stay? Is the complex dangerous?

If you don't have a lease, complaining and/or forcing them to fix it will result in a 30 day notice to you. So, you'll have to move anyway.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Of course it is possible that they may want to hold you liable to pay for the damages. ** They did not break the window either. So while I can see them having it fixed, I can see them adding it to your bill when they do.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    It is their property and they have to fix it. You are just renting the property and did not do the actual damage to their window. Write them a letter and demand that the window be properly fixed. If the landlord does not fix the window within a reasonable time, contact the building department and they will force the landlord to repair the window properly. Did you file a police report on the break in? I hope so.
    I can completely understand this being people's reaction to this question.

However, read your lease. It is VERY common wording in leases that tenants are responsible for broken windows. Your renter's insurance will actually cover any costs associated with a break-in, including the broken window / broken glass.
    akers85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Yes, I have a lease and I have confronted them twice about it and they still haven't done anything about it. The place is very dangerous because we even got threatened afterwards, and we are moving out of there, but will we be held accountable for the rest of the lease because I'm not even paying this months rent?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 04:52 PM
    I meant if the tenant breaks the window or damages it the tenant has to pay. If it was a burglar then that is not the tenant's fault.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I meant if the tenant breaks the window or damages it the tenant has to pay. If it was a burglar then that is not the tenant's fault.
    Oh, I completely know what you meant. And in principle I can agree. HOWEVER many leases state - across the board - that the tenant is responsible for broken windows and / or broken glass. It's not the landlord's fault that it got broken either. Now if the window was faulty, wouldn't stay open for example, and slammed shut, breaking the glass - then the landlord is clearly responsible for the repair. The tenant is responsible for the condition of the unit while they lease it. That's one of the many, many good reasons to have renter's insurance. It covers stuff like this!

What I usually do with my tenants is if they have a police report that they've filed, I'll work with them on getting the repair taken care of. The first time. I've been completely shocked at how many tenants call me to tell me "someone" broke out a window. When I tell them to get me a copy of the police report, or the name of the officer they talked to, etc, they tell me they didn't, and won't, call the police. I tell them that if they'll file a report, then I'll help with the repair, they still won't turn it in. I don't know if it's someone they know who is breaking in, or breaking windows, or what. I understand that the cops won't really do anything over a broken window. But my stance is that if it's a random break-in, why not call the police and report it? If they're unwilling to do that, then they're on their own. And according to my lease, they're responsible for the repair.

Like I said, I understand the idea of "the tenant didn't intentionally do it - the landlord should fix it". I just wanted to point out the legal aspect of many leases holding the tenant responsible for the condition of the unit while they lease it - if damage is their fault or not.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2008, 10:21 AM
    I would have answered that it depends on what the damage was. If it was just broken glass, then it would usually be the renter's responsibility. If the window structure was damaged, then the landlord might be held responsible.

But your first recourse would be with your renter's insurance carrier.

As to moving out, you have no grounds that I can see to break your lease. This means that you could be held liable for the balance of the lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-wiring an old apartment complex [ 3 Answers ]

A little background before I start asking questions. The building in question is a 4 apartment building, 2 on the first floor and 2 on the second floor. Currently they have 60A service each with the main 60A breaker being on the power companies meter outside with an 8 slot sub panel of sorts for...

Can't an Apartment Complex Do this? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in louisville, KY. I have lived in my apartment for a year and 6 months. I have never been late, never had any problems here. The second year I did sign a year lease because they do not do month to month. I recently put an offer on a house and it was accepted. I gave my apartment complex 41...

Plumbing problems at apartment complex [ 1 Answers ]

This is a question I posted on the plumbing board: If there is a main sewage pump in an apartment complex not working properly, is it possible for most toilets in a certain building connected to that pump to not flush, and one or more to overflow drastically because of the pressure pushing water...

Apartment complex problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been living in my apartments for about a year and up until last week things have been fine. I wrote my rent check and gave it to the apartment on the 1st, after viewing my bank statement a couple of days later I noticed I had wrote the checkf or $20 under the needed amount, I...

Sneaky Apartment Complex Woes [ 4 Answers ]

During the heat wave this summer, my air conditioner gave out. Not only gave out, constantly froze over. My apartment complex, whose responsibilities include the AC unit, heater, and other basic utilities and their upkeep, fixed the problem _temporarily_. They stated that they had arrived at...

View more questions Search