Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billj Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Blue tablet put in tank of toilet, but no blue in the bowl
    When a use a blue Vanish tablet in the tank of my toilet the water will not stay blue in the bowl. (No blue at all after flushing in one toilet, and only very light blue in another) I think this is because of the small tube that flows into the overflow tube goes directly into the bowl as clean, not blue water, and dilutes the blue water from the tank. Can the small tube be directed into the tank not the overflow tube to prevent dilution of the blue water in the bowl? Is this a common issue?:confused:
    Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 12:40 PM
    It sounds like your flapper needs changed out as the water in the bowl should not be diluted.

Sep 1, 2008, 12:47 PM
    If the flapper was leaking the water would become more blue not less because the water in the tank is blue. Am I correct?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Yup! Bills' correct here... ;) If flapper was leaking would only increase the blue color.

You need to keep the tube in the overflow, Bill. Don't move the fill tube to the tank.

If you flush the toilet the bowl should blue up as dark blue as the tank water... then it may get diluted a bit when fill tube fills the bowl... but that should not be a huge issue.

You sure they didn't reduce the blue dye in the vanish block.. or maybe you got a spring flower tablet in place of the normal vanish block?

You know that these break down the rubber at the flappers over time.. yes?

Let me know what you think...

MARK

Sep 1, 2008, 03:38 PM
    It is the regular Vanish Drop-ins tablet. The color in the tank is dark blue, as is the water in the bowl when you first start flushing. But after flushing is complete the one toilet is about 75% diluted and the other about 50% diluted. Can you tell me what is the purpose of the tube flowing water down the overflow tube? Also, I do believe I did hear about the tablets being hard on the flappers. But my daughter has blue water in her toilets, so my wife wants blue water also. :rolleyes:
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 03:44 PM
    I understand that!

The purpose of the tube is to finish filling the bowl to a point where the internal trap of the toilet is covered completely with water... even the part of the internal trap you can't see. It also finishes washing the sides of the bowl helping to clean the bowl of any splashed solids, etc...

You could always try to put tube into the tank and see how much less water fills the bowl... and how much less gets cleaned off walls. If questionable then I would not do it.

Let me know...

MARK
    Rob612 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 02:39 PM
    What a lot of people don't understand is that the tank water is "flushing" water. You guys should check out neverscrub.com they have a toilet cleaner that is injected directly into the bowl with the fill water. NOT flush water. Great product!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 26, 2010, 02:45 PM

There are some "blue cleaners" that do connect to the small refill tube but tablets just drop into the tank. Marks nailed to well for me to comment further, Refill tube fills until the float says that tank is perfectly at the set level, without it your bowl would be only partially filled. Sorry Mark, got to spread the word before I can plant a greenie on you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Bowl/Tank Fill [ 2 Answers ]

When we flush our toilet once the tank fills as does the bowl and we have an incomplete flush. The second flush fills the tank and empties the bowl completely, and the bowl does not refill, but the flush is complete. We have plunged, used unclogging chemicals, scraped rim feed holes, checked that...

Blue water in toilet, trying ti make it clear. [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved and the people before me put one of those discs in the toilet tank that turns the water blue and I hate it. I removed the disc and also scooped up as much of the disc as I could. I have flushed the toilet hundreds of times. I just want the toilet water to be clear, not blue like a...

Why is the sky blue? [ 8 Answers ]

This is something I've always wondered, something which seems so simple, but yet I'm sure has a more complex explanation. Maybe somebody could enlighten me :confused: Thanks

Water level in toilet bowl and tank goes up and down [ 2 Answers ]

We have two bathrooms, back to back, and when we flush the toilet or run the shower in #2 the water level in the toilet bowl and tank in # 1 rises and falls several times. You can hear, and I've seen, the fill valve turning on and off in tank #2. Any idea what the cause of this is? Could the vent...

Toilet tank and bowl [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet when flushing is filling up the bowl and overflowing instead of emting the bowl- tried plunger - did not work? I hate to call a plumber if I can fix this myself Sheryl

View more questions Search