Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara_bell15 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2006, 02:37 PM
    What's with the mood swings?
    For the past 4-5 years I have these changes with my mood and can't really figure out why. For a few hours I'll get really hyper, have a lot of energy, and be really happy. Then there'll be times when I just feel like hiding out in my room and crying, felling like no one wants me around and that I'm worthless. Sometimes I'll get sad for the whole day and irratated at the same time. Like I don't really want to talk to anyone because everything that comes out of their mouth annoys me. I t could be the simplest things they say too. Why do I get like this? Can anyone help?
    Insane_Rain13 Posts: 9, Reputation: 5

May 2, 2006, 03:36 PM
    I know how you feel, I don't know if you have a disorder, but I try to meditate. I'm only 15 and I randomly get really pissed off over nothing. Try going to get a mental evaluation.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2006, 04:01 PM
    The first part is to acknowledge that this happens. Understand that it is influences in your surroundings and in your mind that bring these mood swings about. Believe it or not, you have COMPLETE control over your mental state. It is essential to understand this.

Things happen in Life... big things, little things... and they influence how we feel, how we react. However, you have the ability to control your reactions. You will still feel emotions. But if you allow those emotions to take control over your mental state, you will constantly be on an emotional roller coaster.

Start now... focus on how you feel, how how you WANT to feel. Step out of yourself and look at how you are reacting to things... then take control!

My problem with mental evaluations is that their #1 answer is usually drugs. I don't think drugs are necessary for 90% of the population. Sure they try counseling along with the medication but until you realize the power that YOU have, a counselor will never be able to help you.
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

May 2, 2006, 10:09 PM
    You could go to a doctor for a medical check up to rule out a physiological condition:
    Things to check for include: hypoglycaemia, thyroid malfunction, poor mineral/ vitamin absorption.

Try and eat a balanced diet, and watch your sugar intake, it does cause highs and lows. I'm not for one second minimising what you're saying here, but this will help you take control over the dietary side of your life. (Broccoli is a great natural antidepressant!)

Keep a diary, write it all out of your system, whether it be first thing in the morning, or last thing at night, or have a pocketbook with you at all times. It's amazing for "head-clearing"!

Aim to get out for a walk in the fresh air, or some outdoor exercise at least once a week. It will really breakdown stress in your head.

Yoga is also great!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 02:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sara_bell15
    For the past 4-5 years I have these changes with my mood and can't really figure out why. For a few hours I'll get really hyper, have a lot of energy, and be really happy. Then there'll be times when I just feel like hiding out in my room and crying, felling like no one wants me around and that I'm worthless. Sometimes I'll get sad for the whole day and irratated at the same time. Like I don't really want to talk to anyone because everything that comes out of their mouth annoys me. I t could be the simplest things they say too. Why do I get like this? Can anyone help?
    Do u get these mood swings on specific days within the month?
    Do u maybe get them a few days before your cycle, during your cycle and also a few days after?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 03:41 AM
    Hi, sara,
    You didn't mention your age. I am 64, married 29 years.
    Have you every had a good physical exam by a Doctor? With a blood sample taken for some analyses?
    One of your answers gave some medical conditions that could apply. I really suggest seeing a Doctor for an exam. I get one every year. I also take medications for blood pressure and cholesterol levels... normal now with medications.
    Once you "rule out" any medical issue with your Doctor, he/she can suggest some things. I do wish you the best, and please remember, this is your first step, in "talking" about a problem. Take the next step, start checking it out with a Doctor. Have a great week.
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

May 4, 2006, 07:55 PM
    Hello sara bell15,

As giggles has pointed out there are many biological aspects of mood swings. These can be caused by a number of medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and digestive disorder (coeliac disease, ulcerative colitis, food sensitivities or allergies).

The most common one is sugar sensitivity. This means that you have problems absorbing sugar due to Insulin Resistance. Sugar is the universal source of energy called biological energy (ATP), without which the body cannot manufacture the feel good neurotransmitters such as serotonin.

The brain has a mechanism that constantly monitors blood sugar levels and when there is a drop in blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) it will trigger the release of adrenaline. This hormones functions to convert sugar stores (glycogen) into sugar (glucose) so as to feed the brain again.

Excess production of adrenaline causes the wild mood swings and is said to be responsible for most symptoms of mental illness, such as anxiety attacks and depression.

You can treat hypoglycemia without recourse to drugs by adopting the Hypoglycemic Diet under the supervision of Clinical Nutritionist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mood Enhancement [ 10 Answers ]

I am overstressed and was wondering if anybody had any suggeestions about an alternate to anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medications.

Mood Swings [ 6 Answers ]

I would like all of your opinions. Mood swings during pregnancy? For this last part of my wife's pregnancy. The last month or so. It has been a losing battle. Does not matter what I say, doesn't matter that I try to talk to her in a way that Calm, relaxed and easy going. Yet, she is very rude...

Mood rings [ 1 Answers ]

How do mood rings work? I know someone who actually thinks they're powered by witchcraft! I say it must be a chemical reaction to the heat of a person's body or the atmosphere. Is it chemical, and, if so, what is/are the chemical/chemicals used?

View more questions Search